Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Glad to hear it! I am a Navy veteran, paid my way through school and work too. Like your SO, I am also in construction. We have plenty in common, really. (Except I haven't had children; nor have I been displaced by foreign workers....I am smarter and more resilient than your SO, apparently.)

I didn't choose to ignore the charts. ("Typical" of what? Someone who doesn't agree with you?) LOL. Typical. Ha. Ha.

Until you can produce credible figures that reinforce the statement by whoever it was that said that "foreign workers send every penny back to Mexico" I still stand by what I wrote. Show me evidence that the money received in gummint services negate the gains made by immigrants paying taxes, purchasing goods and services, and providing cheap labor, and we can talk. For the record, I have no great love of people working illegally in this country, nor of people who emply them - but in the grand scheme of things wrong with the U.S. it is not that huge of a deal. The endless war in Afghanistan and other points east have probably cost you much, much more than foreigners installing roofs and mowing lawns.

BTW, I have two siblings who have worked here, one went through graduate school here; neither were U.S. citizens. Just a wild-assed guess: this wouldn't bother most people since they are white and speak English as their native language. Albeit with an accent.

Finally - want everything produced in the USA so as not to displace American jobs? Don't shop dollar stores or Wal-Mart, don't buy foreign-made products (like, say, the Chevy Equinox, or many domestically-badged vehicles) most of your clothing and shoes, tomatoes in winter, all of your electronics, half the lumber sold at Home Despot, vitamins, herbs and most medications, almost anything containing wheat gluiten or apple sauce or pectin, most of your appliances and home decor...almost all of it produced overseas. Really, I see the occasional Mexican lawn-mowing dude as really not a big deal, when you look at the big picture.

Finally I would love to see proof (besides they are brown and speak Spanish ) that illegal persons are working on state or federally-funded highways in Michigan. Got proof? Bring it.
I am going to start with your last statement. I am not the one who brought up the illegal alien working in highways in Michigan. I don't live in Michigan. Almost moved to Clinton TWP last summer but that's the extent of my relationship with MI.

I was replying to whoever said hiring illegal aliens is not a crime in their part of the country. Yes, that pi ssed me off because it's my assumption that people in this country would know it is a felony no matter were we go.
And I get angry whenever someone tries to defend them. "Poor people, they just want a better life!". Well so do I. Should I rob a bank? Steal a car because mine is falling apart?

Second, I own a beat up Jeep. Not sure it was made here, I can only hope so. It is my first car. I am 26 and bought it 2 years ago. It's a few years old though.

I don't shop at Walmart, I shop at a smaller grocery store by my house. It is far cheaper than WM and not as crowded. Plus Walmart is not a huge thing around here. We have smaller grocery store chains that are far more affordable.

Sending money back home - it happens and it does happen very often. Sending every penny? No but in large quantities, yes. A few billion dollars is a lot of money. Now can you imagine how much other illegal aliens besides illegals from Mexico send home... Brazilians included, since they are a huge number up here in the Northeast, especially in Mass. My dad (who's a legal immigrant from Brazil ) has told me several stories about illegal aliens he worked with who used to do such thing... he used to call ICE on them often and back in the day they actually seemed more effective. (his words, not mine)

It is not very uncommon to see 6, 7 illegal aliens living in a 2 bedroom apartment in this area. Rent here is expensive but let's say they rent a small apt for $1300 a month and have 6 people move in. They will be paying less than $250 a piece. They will go and buy a car for $1000, drive without a license and without paying insurance.

I don't have a problem with "brown" people. My problem is with the ones who not only come here illegally but refuse to assimilate. I believe they are the reason why "Press 2 for Spanish" is everywhere nowadays. Up here you might hear "Press 3 for Portuguese" and even though I speak that language, it does make my blood boil.

Latinos are the first ones to protest when states such as Georgia pass bills to crack down on illegal immigration. I saw it on the news today actually.

They stand out too much. If I were here illegally the last thing I'd want is to stand out and make myself a target.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Anyone living and working here, regardless of status, has to pay money for food, housing, gas, transportation, utilities and so on.

So by your comment bolded above, you are exhibiting ignorance, inaccuracy and hyperbole (look that last word up.)
How are they "working" without using a fake or stolen id? How are they driving? They can't get a license or insurance. If they aren't using a fake id how are they paying taxes? Only a handful use a ITIN.

If they have kids the whole social service menu is being robbed. School, ER, WIC, you name it. There are hardly any illegals on the plus side of a balance sheet here.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM

151 posts, read 193,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild1957 View Post
No sh*t Sherlock. Are you really that naive? They are here and taking jobs that should be going to legal citizens.

Answer me this. Why are there a lot of jobs ads around here asking for Spanish speaking applicants for manual labor jobs?
Do you know a legal citizen without a criminal record willing to work for or near minimum wage??

When those "legal citizens” without a criminal record decide to get off their high horses and apply for a job that starts at $7.40 per hour, maybe the unemployment rate in Michigan will begin to decline.

It’s a new day and age. This country is in a world of debt it has never seen before. One small way of decreasing that debt is by bringing in legal immigrants for a cheaper price. That is the reason why you see so many job ads asking for bilingual individuals.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Here's the story:

Police: Officer stole ID of citizen outside US - US news - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42772167/ns/us_news/t/police-officer-stole-id-citizen-outside-us/ - broken link)

Not defending what he did at all - clearly wrong, illegal and unethical.
However, he'd lived and worked and paid taxes in the US for over 20 years, had no criminal record, and by all accounts did a good job as a cop.

I can think of many, many worse and more harmful things done by U.S. citizens.

If your husband is jobless, you can "barely afford to put food on the table" and are so impaired that you shouldn't be working per doctors orders, why on earth are you breeding children? You're going to be just as much of a drain on taxpayers as anyone, legal or illegal. I absolutely hate the thought that my tax dollars pay for the children of people who cannot afford them, and there you are.
For every example of one who has been a plus there are , what, 100 stories that are negative. These stories are not being made up.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
Do you know a legal citizen without a criminal record willing to work for or near minimum wage??

When those "legal citizens” without a criminal record decide to get off their high horses and apply for a job that starts at $7.40 per hour, maybe the unemployment rate in Michigan will begin to decline.
A few years ago I worked at Sears making $5.25 an hour.

I make more now because I have acquired more skills.

Mc Donald's hired about 50.000 people during their National Hiring Event last month.

What's your point?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 PM

48 posts, read 70,657 times
Quote:

It’s a new day and age. This country is in a world of debt it has never seen before. One small way of decreasing that debt is by bringing in legal immigrants for a cheaper price. That is the reason why you see so many job ads asking for bilingual individuals.
One of my sons (without a criminal record) works for that wage and he didn't get off his high horse to do it either. Another son had to go out of state to get a job to support his family and he has good references.

You should see what the illegals have done to NW Arkansas (Walmart HQ). I travel there all the time and it makes me ill what they have done to decent neighborhoods, not to mention all the gang-bangers too. I haven't been to CA since 1975, but I can imagine what it is like now. Not going to let it happen here.

What this country needs right now is to be put back to work, not have illegals, green card holders, etc... coming and taking what little we have.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:

The reason you see those ads is because we have 12-20 million illegal aliens and their offspring. Learning English is part of becoming a US Citizen unless you are a refugee. Employers are trying to cash in on the expanding Spanish speaking population which, for the most part, is being driven by illegal immigration.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-13-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Well. . . .YEs.

My wife with 2 bachelors degrees works for just over minimum wage. After she pays mandatory union fees, she is just about at minimum wage. My daughters noth make one penny over minmum wage and they are happy to have a job. All of my daughters friend's are working for minimum wage. My neice works for minimum wage, but she gets some tips. My son would hapily work for 75% of minimum wage. My father worked for minimum wage or thereabout for 18 years after he retired. I have five friends in Califlrnia who are very happy to have minimum wage jobs. MAybe that is just me, but If I am at all typical, yes. there are hundreds of thousands of people who would gladly work for minimum wage.

None of them have any criminal record. However my wife did get a speeding ticket recently.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Yes, I know several of them; what can I say, I know poor people. And if my business hadn't picked back up in the last year or so, I would've been one of them.

What's your point?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

My boyfriend was let go from his construction job a little over a month ago along with 5 other men. Now the construction site is FILLED with illegal aliens. Hispanics and Brazilians and they are not here LEGALLY. How do I know? Hm, they will open up to any of their kind = me (though I am not Hispanic, I lived in Brazil for several years).

Called ICE. Now are they going to do anything about it?!

It is driving me crazy because we are going to become parents in 3 weeks and we can barely put food on the table. I go to work every single day against Doctor's Orders because otherwise we would not eat or have a place to live.

I am SICK OF THIS CRAP. I am a citizen of this country, we are both Army Veterans and we have paid taxes ever since we were teenagers.

And this is the BS we have to deal with!!!

You bet I am bitter and I am upset because these freeloaders come here, have 5 children, work under the table and get a free ride from taxpayers... yet millions of Americans like myself can barely make ends meet.

Good for you, selling them out. Call your congressman, too.

Is it true you must learn English to become an American citizen? If so, then why does California make municipalities offer voting materials in six languages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit