Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,375,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This raises the question: Do the people of Detroit even want to be helped?...and, if so, how?

...or are they content with the way things are and prefer that they not be "messed with"?

If Detroiters are not happy with their city, why aren't they helping each other? To suggest that they need some outside help implies that they are genetically inferior in some way. Or at least that is what Indentured Servant taught me.

I don't agree with you much but I agree here. It definitely does

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,375,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think too much is made of whether or not a person has to live somewhere to comment about it. When you travel somewhere, do you form an opinion on the place or do you remain entirely neutral?
but yet you don't have to bash it just because you've been there either

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,478,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit
This raises the question: Do the people of Detroit even want to be helped?...and, if so, how?

...or are they content with the way things are and prefer that they not be "messed with"?

If Detroiters are not happy with their city, why aren't they helping each other? To suggest that they need some outside help implies that they are genetically inferior in some way. Or at least that is what Indentured Servant taught me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I don't agree with you much but I agree here. It definitely does
I have to disagree with both of you... The fact that Detroiters need some outside help does not imply that they genetically inferior. It implies that there are economic and educational disparities that have led to a disparity in the standard of living for some, regardless of race. To be clear, the issues plaguing many Detroiters is not even urban or ethnocentric. These issues occur all over the world, and affect many races living in many settings. Wherever there is a disparity in economic opportunity and education, the problems associated with poverty exist. Detroit has such problems mainly due to disinvestment and past discrimination, which unequally affected the black community, but also many whites who remained in the city. The tax base dried up and the city continues to carry the region's poorest and most undereducated. Of course Detroit needs outside help! The level of disinvestment that occurred in Detroit is equivalent to that of a natural disaster displacing 50% of a city's population. There is NO PLACE that could easily recover from that without help.

In regard to the rest of the posts amounting to "I tried to help, but they didn't want it!" NOT EVERY PERSON IS THE SAME! People make wild generalizations that "Detroiters don't want help from me, the outsider." Of course, not everyone will, but that doesn't mean that nobody does. If I walked down your street and asked your neighbor if he needed help raking some leaves, and he said "I don't need help from no Pol-ack", should I assume that nobody in your entire neighborhood wants my help, ever? I think that would be ridiculous. People are not all cut from the same cloth. Not all suburbanites are the same. Not all Detroiters are the same. Some people appreciate help and return it; other people are a-holes. If you want to volunteer, be prepared to deal with it, and if it doesn't work out for you, don't complain. YOU voluntarily volunteered!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,696,135 times
Quote:
and you had to call it Deloitte for what reason? smh

Deloitte (Touche-Tohmatsu) is one of the 4 biggest Public Auditing (Accounting) Firms in the world, along with PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young.

Deloitte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,978,452 times
Quote:
and you had to call it Deloitte for what reason? smh
You obviously have never heard of one of the largest companies in America, and also one responsible for thousands of hours of community service for your 'fine' city.

You remind me of a freaking bobblehead you shake your head so damn much. It really is irritating.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 PM

72 posts, read 149,848 times
Quote:
In regard to the rest of the posts amounting to "I tried to help, but they didn't want it!" NOT EVERY PERSON IS THE SAME! People make wild generalizations that "Detroiters don't want help from me, the outsider." Of course, not everyone will, but that doesn't mean that nobody does.[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...#ixzz1Pxz82kUu
[/LEFT]
The attitude that the City of Detroit will not accept "help" from outside the city if it comes with strings attached is institutional. Example: Bob Thompson's offer of $200 Million for schools in Detroit. The City of Detroit will accept, and in fact will demand outside cash but when it comes to outside influence in how that money is spent? Forget it. Take your money somewhere else. I guess Detroit can't use any outside help with schools because they're doing so well at the moment.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
You remind me of a freaking bobblehead you shake your head so damn much. It really is irritating.
I admit, that was funny.

Did she really actually think the name of a prestigious international firm was an insult for Detroit? LMAO!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM

72 posts, read 149,848 times
Quote:
actually it is mighty stupid of anyone to complain about something when they aren't doing anything about it. Especially when you don't live in the city you bash so damn much
No, "stupid" is not knowing what "Deloitte" and/or reading it as: "Detoilet".

Detroit Public Schools?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
No, "stupid" is not knowing what "Deloitte" and/or reading it as: "Detoilet".

Detroit Public Schools?
Hey now, don't lump all of us DPS graduates into the same basket.

I actually know what Deloitte is and I also know it's not an insult to Detroit.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,195,485 times
Not knowing of an accounting firm makes one stupid? You can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit