Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM

285 posts, read 639,049 times

Advertisements

I know the city of Detroit is in rough shape, but with a metro population of over 4 million there must be some trendy neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:38 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,251,986 times
Inkster and Highland Park. Have you asked this question about every state?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM

285 posts, read 639,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Inkster and Highland Park. Have you asked this question about every state?
No, why do you ask?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
This question has been asked a million times, and if you do a search you will find your answer.

But to answer your question, yes there are trendy areas.

First off: in the city of Detroit, hip, young professional areas have an overall different vibe than what you find in Chicago, New York, Boston, etc., etc.

Thing of the urban pioneering that was going on where starving artists where revitalizing urban neighborhoods back in the 80s in those cities. But now those areas, while feeling artsy, are now priced out and are more full-fledged "yuppy" neighborhoods.

The young professional neighborhoods are not really gentrified, they are still in the starving artist-truly bohemian, urban pioneer stage. All over the Midtown area from Wayne state to Brush Park is definitely this. Corktown is like this, but to a lesser extent. Downtown and high rises/townhomes right on the riverfront are a little bit closer to more non-artsy urban professional living.

Then there are neighborhoods which are well, not exactly "trendy" because there is little pedestrian oriented areas, but are very nice, because of the fancy, historic housing stock. Some areas like are larger and more intact such as Palmer Park, Sherwood Forest, University District, and North Rosedale Park. Others are kind of shadows of their former glory where you have a couple beautiful blocks and then bam!! abandoned buildings and vacant lots. This would include Boston Edison and Indian Village.

Outside of there, Much of Oakland County is actually trendy to varying degrees depending on where you are but in a more suburban way. Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Ferndale are like urban neighborhoods in the suburbs. Other Oakland County suburbs which have some trendy/young professional areas would include Novi, the nicer parts of Southfield maybe Troy.

Ann Arbor has lots of areas like these, as one might expect.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Inkster, HP - LOL!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,891,329 times
You mentioned the large "metro area" - well, most suburbs never were, nor wanted to be, trendy or hip. Most were in escape mode. What artsy/hip types there were seemed to find their place along North Woodward. The remaining suburbs are generally staid residential.
Some artists liked Hamtramck as I recall. It had an edgy progressive vibe. I'm talkin' from several years ago. Maybe something downriver (Trenton, Wyandotte ?) but I can't call these hip/professional, yet no reason not to live there imo.
Hip/professional Detroit are the places already mentioned.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 AM

333 posts, read 1,148,113 times
Inkster and Highland Park are major dumps. I would suggest not even driving through them during the daytime. Ever. If you do, lock your doors and carry a loaded shotgun on your lap. Do not stop at red lights. Do not make eye contact. Do not look scared. Do not feel scared. The various thieves and murderers can smell fear. The various gunshots ringing constantly have made them deaf, so there's no sense in reasoning with them. And one more thing, it might help to have a police motorcade follow you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well all jokes aside, there are actually alot of trendy suburbs but not really in Detroit. Obviously Downtown and Eastern Market have some flair but thats about it. If you venture out of the city to the north, there's Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Berkley.

Also, as detwahDJ said there's Hamtramck, which is close to being inside the city of Detroit, but it's quite a bit safer and more middle class than Detroit.

All of these are good places to visit. Not sure if you're looking for a home, but if you are, I'd avoid certain neighborhoods in Royal Oak, Ferndale or Hamtramck.

The southern end of Hamtramck tends to get pretty ghetto, and it's mostly renters which means they don't care much for their house. In Royal Oak you can certainly find wealthy, upscale and/or "hip" neighborhoods but you will also find run-down redneck hovels and drug infested apartments scattered evenly around the rest of the city. As for Ferndale most of the city is good neighborhoods but once you get down to the last four or five blocks to Eight Mile it gets real bad real fast.

But nonetheless if you're just looking to visit, all of these places are great to visit without any more safety concerns than normal. Each one of them has a very unique specialty - Ferndale's shopping, Royal Oak's bars, Birmingham's venues, Berkley's music; but regardless you will still find the same stock of "hip business" in each of them

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,115,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
I know the city of Detroit is in rough shape, but with a metro population of over 4 million there must be some trendy neighborhoods?
Compared to Houghton, MI, yes.

Compared to San Francisco, no.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Inkster and Highland Park are major dumps. I would suggest not even driving through them during the daytime. Ever. If you do, lock your doors and carry a loaded shotgun on your lap. Do not stop at red lights. Do not make eye contact. Do not look scared. Do not feel scared. The various thieves and murderers can smell fear. The various gunshots ringing constantly have made them deaf, so there's no sense in reasoning with them. And one more thing, it might help to have a police motorcade follow you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well all jokes aside, there are actually alot of trendy suburbs but not really in Detroit. Obviously Downtown and Eastern Market have some flair but thats about it. If you venture out of the city to the north, there's Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Berkley.

Also, as detwahDJ said there's Hamtramck, which is close to being inside the city of Detroit, but it's quite a bit safer and more middle class than Detroit.

All of these are good places to visit. Not sure if you're looking for a home, but if you are, I'd avoid certain neighborhoods in Royal Oak, Ferndale or Hamtramck.

The southern end of Hamtramck tends to get pretty ghetto, and it's mostly renters which means they don't care much for their house. In Royal Oak you can certainly find wealthy, upscale and/or "hip" neighborhoods but you will also find run-down redneck hovels and drug infested apartments scattered evenly around the rest of the city. As for Ferndale most of the city is good neighborhoods but once you get down to the last four or five blocks to Eight Mile it gets real bad real fast.

But nonetheless if you're just looking to visit, all of these places are great to visit without any more safety concerns than normal. Each one of them has a very unique specialty - Ferndale's shopping, Royal Oak's bars, Birmingham's venues, Berkley's music; but regardless you will still find the same stock of "hip business" in each of them
I figured you were joking. Last time I was there I drove down Woodward from Royal Oak to downtown at least twice.

And then I drove along Michigan Ave/Route 12 through Inkster/Wayne.

And actually I actually feel a little safer driving through those areas than through Chicagos bad neighborhoods as there simply is less traffic on 6 lane Woodward and Michigan/12. than on Chicagos narrower, busiere side streets.

When you have more stoplights, etc. you are more at risk of being a victim of a crime such as a car jacking. Not so much if you are cruising at 30-40 mph.

And isn't Berkleys downtown really small? And isn't Birmigham really the better place for shopping, with Ferndale having better places for music/venues?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM

39 posts, read 107,684 times
Inkster Is Bad, except for The NE Part Thats N Of Avondale, W Of Beech Daly, E Of Inkster and S, Of cherry Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit