Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM

84 posts, read 166,881 times

Advertisements

What's a good place to stay for someone who doesnt have a car and needs to be in Farmington Hills a few days a week for a period of a few short months? I am a graduate student.

Does the OCC library allow non-student to study there? What are good places to hangout after 5PM, if any?

I am thinking of renting a room or getting a studio apartment. The thing is, due to my short stay I do not want to get a car and renting a studio might not be an option.

What is a good site to find rooms for rent or apartments for rent in the area?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Hey there,

From my very short time (only a few weeks) taking the bus in Metro Detroit...I can tell you that you want to live as close as you can to where you'll be spending most of your time. Metro Detroit is VERY hard to get around, using only public transportation.

I live downtown Royal Oak a block from the SMART Bus terminal, and to get 4 miles to my work (right down 11 mile), it took me almost an hour, and I had to walk a mile (the bus does NOT go down 11 mile after Coolidge).

If you're going to OCC in Farmington - live as close to it as you can. I worked not far from the Farmington OCC Campus for a while (At 12 and Halsted) and there are several very affordable apartment complexes right there near it (within walking/biking distance). Farmington Hills, or the west end of Southfield (Franklin?) might be your best bet.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 AM

I will not be going to OCC but near there. I have tried looking online for places to rent with roomates and have not been coming up with much. It seems not many people in FH are renting rooms. I am considering hiring a car service or something to take me to where I need to be if I cant be near the bus route that can take me to where I need to be. Thanks for reply.

Last edited by AsianGal; 08-24-2011 at 05:01 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Public transportation in the area you are speaking of is very limited. I can't imagine relying on it and in the winter especially. I have taken a couple classes at OCC and I can't say for sure but I would think you could use the library though maybe not computers. There are many nice libraries such as Farmington Hills one in the area I would suggest. If you bring in your lease you could get a card to take out books and use the computer. In terms of a rental how much can you spend? Many Farmington apts are very inexpensive. They are old buildings but overall still safe. I would make a post on craigslist looking for a roommate situation or under sublets. I am not sure what school you are attending but they may have a site for people who are looking as well. Good luck

Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have decided on a place to stay. I found out there is bus service for where I will be so that works out great. Plus I will be less than a mile from where I need to be so it works out. Thanks for all the replies.

If you look up SMART bus website you can find out about the routes and also the paid service available in certain neighborhoods.

I also found out about the library situation, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit