Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM

428 posts, read 1,082,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
1. Maybe he saw the roaches in the Village area. I was out walking with my wife one night along Kercheval and must have seen fifty of them.
2. Maybe he's not a local. If so, he probably can't pronounce "Gratiot" or "Schoenherr" either.
Thats one big family reunion; 50 Roach family members in the Village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Nice comeback

No, really, little black creepy crawly things. Where's Roach Killer when you need him?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
The Pointes (IMHO) don't have any areas worth worrying about. The areas that border Detroit seem to concern some folks, but i don't know why. I doubt that there is much negative spillover. Obviously, with declining real estate values, the area is more accessible and not nearly as exclusive as it once was, which means folks can live there that previously couldn't. That's probably the biggest concern. But so what? Every suburb has to deal with that issue.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM

90 posts, read 200,193 times
The Grosse Pointes are wonderful, safe communities (take a look at the crime data right here on City Data). Great deals to be had in any of the Pointes right now if you are looking to purchase a home.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Pointes (IMHO) don't have any areas worth worrying about. The areas that border Detroit seem to concern some folks, but i don't know why. I doubt that there is much negative spillover. Obviously, with declining real estate values, the area is more accessible and not nearly as exclusive as it once was, which means folks can live there that previously couldn't. That's probably the biggest concern. But so what? Every suburb has to deal with that issue.
I was just talking about this with a Realtor the other day at an open house. I believe wholeheartedly price reinforces exclusivity. I said this and you could tell she had a lot to say, but they're not supposed to talk about these sorts of things with clients, I guess. It makes me wonder about the long-term desirability of the Pointes. Closer to the water will always be amazing, (proximity to the lake is also highly desirable in St. Clair Shores, too) but the more, for lack of a better word, plebian areas of the Pointes feel a lot less, um, special than they did just five years ago. These houses are worth half what they used to be. It's a regional problem, yes, which makes me wonder about the long-term viability of the metro and of its housing market...I don't think prices will come back to '05 levels for many years, and even then it'll probably take inflation to help. Oakland County feels like a much better investment overall.

I think the lack of great shopping is really killing the Pointes. There's some, sure, but they for the most part go to Birmingham, Somerset, or Partridge for a lot of things. There's not even a movie theatre there- the next closest ones are a second-run at Macomb Mall, the Bel-Air Center theatre at 8/Van Dyke in Detroit, or the Star Gratiot at 15 Mile, which feels creepy at night. There's only one fast food restaurant between them (though others are not far) and there's no Friday's, Outback, Famous Dave's sort of thing unless you go to Eastland (someplace they generally don't want to go) or out on I-94 a ways away. There's a bit of higher-end dining but not a whole lot. Grocery shopping is good, though, but the closest Nino Salvaggio's is small. Grosse Pointe is excellent for some things and sorely lacking in others. Birmingham, although the houses are worth somewhat more, is much better rounded.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 PM

90 posts, read 200,193 times
us66, just fyi -- in Grosse Pointe Park, we have a movie theater in Windmill Pointe Park. And not second-run movies

There will always be a east vs. west side debate, but most Grosse Pointers head downtown for fine dining (Opus One, Roast, et al), and there are many family-friendly restaurants like Burger Pointe, Village Grille, SideStreet Diner, and National Coney Island that replace the Outbacks, etc.

There is def. a lack of major retail, but there are smaller shops that replace that. And when need be, we head out to Somerset or Partridge Creek.

But if you like the small town feel, and the excellent schools, the Pointes are certainly an area to look at.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I was just talking about this with a Realtor the other day at an open house. I believe wholeheartedly price reinforces exclusivity. I said this and you could tell she had a lot to say, but they're not supposed to talk about these sorts of things with clients, I guess. It makes me wonder about the long-term desirability of the Pointes. Closer to the water will always be amazing, (proximity to the lake is also highly desirable in St. Clair Shores, too) but the more, for lack of a better word, plebian areas of the Pointes feel a lot less, um, special than they did just five years ago. These houses are worth half what they used to be. It's a regional problem, yes, which makes me wonder about the long-term viability of the metro and of its housing market...I don't think prices will come back to '05 levels for many years, and even then it'll probably take inflation to help. Oakland County feels like a much better investment overall.

I think the lack of great shopping is really killing the Pointes. There's some, sure, but they for the most part go to Birmingham, Somerset, or Partridge for a lot of things. There's not even a movie theatre there- the next closest ones are a second-run at Macomb Mall, the Bel-Air Center theatre at 8/Van Dyke in Detroit, or the Star Gratiot at 15 Mile, which feels creepy at night. There's only one fast food restaurant between them (though others are not far) and there's no Friday's, Outback, Famous Dave's sort of thing unless you go to Eastland (someplace they generally don't want to go) or out on I-94 a ways away. There's a bit of higher-end dining but not a whole lot. Grocery shopping is good, though, but the closest Nino Salvaggio's is small. Grosse Pointe is excellent for some things and sorely lacking in others. Birmingham, although the houses are worth somewhat more, is much better rounded.
You say 2005, but to me, the Pointes haven't had an exclusive feel for the better part of 20 years. Obviously the the frontage (or at least in walking distance to water) is exclusive and will always remain so just like you say. But the further inland you go, the more it feels just like any other suburb for the most part. Last time i took a drive through the area, i was astounded at how many properties were for sale there. And the prices were unbelievably cheap. I think the future of the real estate market there is pretty dim. I simply don't see how it can recover. I'd certainly agree that Oakland County probably has more appeal and long term viability, even though i wouldn't live there for all the gold in the world.

As for the shopping, maybe the Pointes aren't all that keen on having lots of shoppers in the area. Shoppers bring traffic, among other things. If they feel like they can get by without the extra sales tax revenue in the coffers, perhaps they'll continue to disregard it. That's only a theory.....i don't know for sure. But you're right...it's something they lack. But the area is still pretty charming. I like the feel of the place. It's suburbia, but you still feel as if you're near enough to the noise to have the big city feel.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:

FYI, there are first run movies at the Renaissance Center. Not many people know about them and they are empty at matinee times.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
FYI, there are first run movies at the Renaissance Center. Not many people know about them and they are empty at matinee times.
I didn't know that was still open. I don't hit the movie theatres too often.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have noticed very affordable housing in the Gross Pointes (Shores, Farms, Park). Are there any parts of the Gross Pointes to avoid? Does it get sketchier near I-94?
How about Harper Woods and St Clair Shores? Are they nice areas?
Thanks!

Is that anywhere near Grosse Pointe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit