U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 7,240 times
Default South part of St. Clair Shores

Looking at a few houses around Brys park (just north of 8 mile road, east of 94), the one I really like is just east of Harper and just north of 8 mile road.

My gut tells me this area will continue to decline faster than any other parts of SCS and it's probably not the best place to make a 5 to 10 year investment, however there are some really nice houses.

Any thoughts on this location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:59 PM

530 posts, read 855,117 times
I used to live on Alger street. My garage was popped in the middle of the night.

A bike, wet saw and something else was stolen. That was a few years ago.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM

2,755 posts, read 2,164,343 times
I don't think it'd get as bad as Eastpointe or Harper Woods but it wouldn't be as good as GP or the rest of St. Clair. As for 10 years down the road, it largely depends on where the general economy is at that point, but I think it won't be any more worse than it is now, but not terribly better.

Basically, it won't change much.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,490,249 times
I disagree a bit. If you're looking where I think you are those blocks are still quite nice. Stay with brick house blocks, though, for better quality. The frame house streets aren't all aging as well. I wouldn't recommend south of 9, west of Harper unless you're bargain hunting or looking to flip or rent.(Salisbury and Parkside between Beaconsfield and 94 are great bang for the buck streets, 1800sf for $100K or so, but they're cut off from the rest of the city and have more in common with Eastpointe, and they're more racially integrated than the lion's share of SCS if you care.)

Eastpointe and Harper Woods are pretty good places at current property values. Eastpointe in particular isn't aging well and the school district seems to get less desirable with each passing year. Property taxes could be lower and assessments seem inflated in some cases. The majority of Harper Woods still looks good. I don't know much about Harper Woods schools, but as far as I know, they're not horrible. City services are still good, but taxes are high. I'd take Harper Woods over at least 2/3 of Eastpointe with some notable exceptions in Harper Woods being Kingsville west of Harper (also the Detroit city line, the street looks more like Detroit than Harper Woods) and Hollywood west of Harper (looked in there at houses a few years ago, block had a really bad vibe even back then...has GP Schools though.) Eastpointe is actually pretty nice here and there, especially east of Kelly. Eastpointe has South Lake Schools east of Kelly and south of Stephens. It is a much more desirable district than East Detroit, but I don't know how well it is doing now- it used to be one of the best in the county, but I don't know much about it now.

Avoid corner lots- in Eastpointe, at least, that is where a lot of property crime occurs. If I lived in Eastpointe on a corner lot I'd bar the garage door. I just read the other day Eastpointe also has the highest violent crime rate in the county (though the stats didn't include Mt. Clemens as they are served by the sheriff, and Warren south of 10 Mile is probably somewhat worse).

If all else fails and you don't want to stick around, the rental market in south Macomb is excellent at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time, especially if you are willing to put up with Section 8 tenants.

Don't forget Roseville and Fraser, too, for better or worse, but they're another thread for another time.

Last point- SCS has the waterfront. Ten years from now at least most of SCS will be fine- maybe less nice, but the decline will be much slower than Eastpointe, most of Harper Woods, and the trashy areas of Roseville. Can't guarantee that about any of the others.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 AM

27 posts, read 39,165 times
Default Southern end of S.C.S.

I have recently moved away from the 9 mile Harper area of this city. For the money you would save it simply does not equal the grief you will encounter. The Police dept is terrible. I once stopped by the High school to run in and drop off a book my son forgot at home. Because I had a for sale sign in my car window the policeman gave me a ticket. He said I was not allowed to park my car on private property and try to sell it. When I explained things and pointed to my home,( visible from the school) he just kept on writing.
The basketball courts at the elementary school were taken over from the little ones by teen agers who did not even live near the school. Our garage was broken into regularly. After a while, I stopped repairing the door frame.
Eventually we became prisoners in our home, afraid to go anywhere lest we get broken into. We lived there 20 years and were run out like a lot of elderly people. Groups of kids walking down the center of the street being loud and obnoxious. In short..... Stay safe, stay away.
If someone was to say to you, "we will give you 10K maybe more but you will live in fear" would that be worth it? Someone may say this isn't as bad as this post implies, well either they don't live there and don't have a clue or they just don't want to face reality of the subject because they don't think anywhere could be that bad.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM

314 posts, read 364,528 times
I also used to live in SCS. Crime was a huge issue in in the southern part of SCS when we left, so I'm not surprised to hear that it hasn't changed much. There's no way you'd be able to get me to live closer to 8 + Harper. Even though it's a good deal, look in the Northern part of the city.

The city has regulations that are very nit-picky and that's one of the major reasons why most businesses choose to locate in the surrounding areas. You've got to know that it's primarily a bedroom community and the leadership tends to want to keep it that way. I'm not surprised at anything that "alcapone" said based on my experiences in the area.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,622 times
i would not recommend that area. its cheap for a reason like your gut is telling you.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM

27 posts, read 39,165 times
Default Used to live in SCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I also used to live in SCS. Crime was a huge issue in in the southern part of SCS when we left, so I'm not surprised to hear that it hasn't changed much. There's no way you'd be able to get me to live closer to 8 + Harper. Even though it's a good deal, look in the Northern part of the city.

The city has regulations that are very nit-picky and that's one of the major reasons why most businesses choose to locate in the surrounding areas. You've got to know that it's primarily a bedroom community and the leadership tends to want to keep it that way. I'm not surprised at anything that "alcapone" said based on my experiences in the area.
Very refreshing when people will come forth with truthful factual replies to some of these "city gone bad" type posts. You are very correct when stating SCS is a nit picky city. If you have a crack in your sidewalk they make you replace the whole panel (Has happened to me) . But look at the streets and curbs, they are terrible.
But keeping to the original post replies, I lived 3 streets north of 9 mile, near the now closed Pare Elementary. At least once a day young people will walk by out in the middle of the street even though the sidewalks are clear (never could figure that out). Guess they do that to show they have every right to walk in the street if they want to.The front of the High School has several young thugs hanging out in front of it.
Again I would say "is saving 10K or more worth all the misery that comes with the savings? I don't think so. Maybe for some, but not for me.
We now live in Fraser, another mistake. We will be leaving here soon as the home prices pick up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit