U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,976,686 times
Anyone else see the irony that people use Roseville's proximity to Detroit as a deterrent to live there, yet the forum loves Royal Oak which is the same distance from Detroit and most people would recommend Ferndale over Roseville which is closer to Detroit. All Roseville needs to do is put some overpriced restaurants and condos on 10 Mile and it will be the trendy place to be. Before Ferndale did that, it was the same as Roseville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 AM

5,558 posts, read 3,964,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Anyone else see the irony that people use Roseville's proximity to Detroit as a deterrent to live there, yet the forum loves Royal Oak which is the same distance from Detroit and most people would recommend Ferndale over Roseville which is closer to Detroit. All Roseville needs to do is put some overpriced restaurants and condos on 10 Mile and it will be the trendy place to be. Before Ferndale did that, it was the same as Roseville.
Exactly! When I first started coming to this site, I couldn't believe the infatuation with Royal Oak and Ferndale. Either it has died down or I have learned to avoid those "Please tell me where should I live" threads. It seems that once the self-proclaimed "hip" people declare a place "hip", it must be so.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,976,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Exactly! When I first started coming to this site, I couldn't believe the infatuation with Royal Oak and Ferndale. Either it has died down or I have learned to avoid those "Please tell me where should I live" threads. It seems that once the self-proclaimed "hip" people declare a place "hip", it must be so.
I live next to downtown Royal Oak and I went there about two times and had enough. Royal Oak is a perfectly fine place but so is Roseville. Roseville is fairly safe. There isn't much violent crime. Yes there is some property crime. People on this forum just have such high standards. I wouldn't mind being in Roseville. The housing is cheap, there's plenty of shopping, and your just a short drive down 696 from Royal Oak if you must be in the hip area. I find myself going to Eastpointe a lot for the bars however. I also eat at chain restaurants. I don't care if that makes me uncool because I eat at chains.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,512,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post

Yes, they're the same proximity to the Detroit city limits, but they're two completely different animals. Royal Oak is a more popular place overall, and purchasing housing there is a much smarter investment, long-term. Roseville is another one of those cities where it's not sure if it wants to stay nice or go bad. People -want- to live in Royal Oak, whereas nobody ever says, "I want to live in Roseville someday." Both cities serve different purposes and priorities. Royal Oak is a more, um, progressive, kind of place...more yuppie and hipster than Roseville, which is more working-class and young dudes with Tapout shirts and Ed Hardy stuff, and you'd swear everyone in Roseville smokes. Royal Oak is a black Jetta, Roseville is a Kia Spectra bought with a "job and $199 down."

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 6,467 times
Roseville is a blue collar town, always was....along I-696 and Groesbeck, there were smaller businesses that were part of the auto industry network.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 6,467 times
People for some reason have a tendency to think less of blue collar cities, especially around Detroit. The "Pointes" were clearly upper middle class and uppder class....curious to see how those homes have been cared for since Detroit's economy has taken a nose dive.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,512,057 times
Most of GP is still very tasteful. The NW corner of the Woods is not aging well and the Cabbage Patch has some frightfully cheap listings for sale. One thing I have noticed, however, about the GP housing stock (low to mid range) compared to the same housing in RO, Huntington Woods, Beverly Hills, et al, is that most of the time, the GP housing needs serious interior remodeling, especially in the kitchens and bathrooms. This isn't so much because those Oakland towns are better investments but that GPers are often cheapskates. I've been to a number of GP open houses where the houses were like stepping back in time 25-30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit