Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,649 times

Advertisements

Miker6004,

You asked if anyone lived near 15423 Greydale. I did from '56 to '63, about 1/2 block south of there towards Fenkell. Went to Hubert then Murphy Junior High, (1st graduation class) and then Redford for one year. Moved to Warren in '63.

Lots of memories including many already mentioned by others. Playing at Hubert playground all summer from am till dinnertime. Walking to Hubert and stopping at that grocery store near Scotties every am to buy gum, the Dairy Queen at corner of Lamphere, St. Christine's Church and school, (where I endured the 3rd grade at). So many others. Eliza Howell Park, Hope playground at Puritan, riding the trails etc.

Yes the area used to be fairly nice, went downhill in the mid to late '60's. Has been a war zone sorta since the '70's I think.

I have no info about your friend's house. Have you looked at the images thru Google Earth street view? Be ready to cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 18,321 times
Sir please get back, kohsman@comcast.net

Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,734 times
I lived on Chapel by the park and went to Harding late 50's early 60's before moving away. I remember going to dance's at the Brightmoor comm. center. It's hard to look at now. Robert Vanderhoff

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 12,201 times
I lived on Fielding and Linden, went to Shirley & Harding before my family moved to Florida in 1969 have been back a few times the house I grew up in is gone. I remember the Smith Projects. Wow amazing our last name was Hegwood.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 12,201 times
Yes remember I remember it we would walk there on Saturday afternoons.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,547 times
I can not believe Scotty's is still there I use to live in the first block off 5 mile and Dolphin

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,450 times
Corruption: I used to walk the streets at night, too. Noone ever bothered me. I lived on Pierson near West chicago. My friend & I used to go into Rouge Park and walk the trails. We always seemed to be the only ones there. We were about 14 or 15. We climbed the pine trees and visited the nature center(before it burnt down) on stingray bikes. There was a long rope we called "the vine" (Tarzan). We had so much scary fun swinging on that over the deep ravine. We decided not to be "boy crazy" but stay tomboys. That was the late 60's. I'm so glad I tried to stay a kid longer because being a teenager ended up as mostly sitting around talking.
Speaking of Brightmoor, I rode my bike from Warren Ave & Greenfield to the theatre. Detroit Bikes then had a tour of the area. The garden resource program is active there. I just helped at a community garden on Chatham. People are raising chickens and starting agriculture businesses.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,151 times
Hi, i grew up on Bramell/Pilgrim and just heard of the re-union from a friend. Yes i am a bit late....i would like to connect with folks from Brightmore. I went to St. Christines 1-8, Murphy, then Redford HS.
Joe LaMere

Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 53,827 times
Default Brightmoor

Does any one remember living on DaCosta, we lived at 15143 just off of FENKELL from 53 to 61....Roger

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyrich View Post
Came across this site by accident. Having taught in the Brightmoor area for 24 years - from 1968-1992, several of the names on these posts are familiar, former students. Many of the streets and places are familiar also since I spent much of my life in the area.
By the way, I taught at Harding all those years and a couple of my former students still keep in touch. For the most part the area has good memories, and that includes most of my "kids".

That's it for me...

Hi i also lived in Brightmoor, from 1966-1972. lived on Blackstone between Lynden and Eaton. What was it that you taught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit