U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,910,558 times
I am moving to the area as well and considered all the cities mentioned. I am going with Farmington Hills. I feel like FH has excellent schools, the home resale values are better do to more jobs/business in the area, plenty of after school sports for the kids and crimes is low. Now Canton has that as well but the traffic is horrible and there is not much in Canton but sub divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,636,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am moving to the area as well and considered all the cities mentioned. I am going with Farmington Hills. I feel like FH has excellent schools, the home resale values are better do to more jobs/business in the area, plenty of after school sports for the kids and crimes is low. Now Canton has that as well but the traffic is horrible and there is not much in Canton but sub divisions.
THey have good schools, not excellent. resale values and jobs are not really better than any other nice suburb. Farmington Hills is fine and a nice place to live, but it is kind of in the middle for S.E. Michigan towns and suburbs.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM

29,076 posts, read 33,033,661 times
I'd say the Farmington area, the Plymouth/Canton area and Novi, in that order.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:36 PM

From my perspective I would say Northville, Northville, Northville, and then Plymouth, Farmington/Farmington Hills Walled Lake, Novi, Canton, Livonia, Redford, Westland. In that order. Plymouth is a close to Ann Arbor, but not very close to Southfield. If you want to be clsoer to Southfield than to Ann Arbor, then Farmington/Hills may be your best bet.

However you really should look at Northville (did we mention that before?).

Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 42,922 times
Hi Coldjensens,

Northville did not appear to have any African Americans in their schools. I will re-check, however. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzgal1277 View Post
Hi Coldjensens,

Northville did not appear to have any African Americans in their schools. I will re-check, however. Thanks!
I do not know whether they do or not, but then they could have other bi-racial families who do not list themselves as African Americans. You might want to giv ethe princiapl a call and ask him.

Is that a problem? Where we live there are only three black/biracial families but they are vey happy to live here.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM

I would like my kids to understand that there are many different races and religions. I just feel that diversity is important; it helps us to learn that while we may all look different on the outside we are all the same on the inside. I have one son who is black and the other who is white. Having them exposed to a variety of skin colors and religious beliefs is preferable.

Another important item is housing affordability and property taxes. From that perspective Canton would be nice but it's too far from Southfield.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 10,844 times
We have just moved to Novi last week from NJ. I have a son in high school and one in elementary. I found the high school to be pretty diverse, but dominated mostly by White & Asian (Japanese/Indian). However, elementary school is predominantly white.

Kids understand race without being taught. I do not see any reason why you want to teach them about race by sending them to a diverse school, you are diverse right at home. They understand race but don't care about it like you think they would.

We should start teaching kids about getting integrated and accepted, not being diverse and caught up in the conundrum of race.

In any case, I recommend Novi for all your requirements and it shouldn't be difficult to get a house in a range of 300K

Cheers

Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Which areas have the lowest crime rates? Which ones have the most subdivisions with young kids? My 2 boys play hockey and would love to have other kids to play with out in the driveway, etc. We are in our mid 40's but have boys ages 8 and 5. Again.....thanks!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,586,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzgal1277 View Post
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Which areas have the lowest crime rates? Which ones have the most subdivisions with young kids? My 2 boys play hockey and would love to have other kids to play with out in the driveway, etc. We are in our mid 40's but have boys ages 8 and 5. Again.....thanks!
Majority of any suburban city will have that environment for your kids. The eastside is more better for parks regarding outdoor hockey rinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit