U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,361,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It may not be the most dangerous city in the world, but it is certainly one of the most dangerous cities in the US, Europe, most of Asia, Australia, and Antarctica.
Idk about Europe or Australia but Asia? lol I don't think so. I highly doubt their statistics are right in Asia.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,803,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
is it me or is it pointless to complain about a city you don't live in, don't visit, have no ties to etc? or to complain about abandonment and decay when YOU or your parents, grandparents etc abandoned it? to talk about Detroit's problems when aren't doing **** to fix them? to make assumptions about people you don't come into contact with on a regular basis? to care what the **** our neighborhoods look like when you don't even drive through them? to talk about "our drug problem" when the very same people who are buying the drugs live next door to you in some little wack ass suburb? do their dirt in Detroit but go home to Harper Woods?
Defensive? Just admit that a certain group of people have destroyed what was once a vibrant city. That's the only way you will be able to find peace.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,803,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
It's one thing to have just a negative post on Detroit. It's a WHOLE nother thing to make completely false and ridiculous statements like "It's the most dangerous city in the world".. Anybody with a brain stem could tell you that is FARRRRRRR from the truth. And that was just ONE example of MANY. Im aware, some negative post about Detroit do have some truth to it. Some of the false post I let slide. But when people go off the wall and say ignorant crap that's where the problem comes in.
Well this is true technically, Rio, Kingston are more violent than Detroit. I think when people say this statement they are referring to the industrialized or developed world.

Since the USA either leads or near the top in regards to violent incidents among the industrialized world and Detroit is perennially deemed the most violent city in the USA. It stands to reason that Detroit is at the very least one of the most violent cities in the industrialized or developed world.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM

24,795 posts, read 59,773,480 times
It is silly to say that "Detroit" is dangerous based on generalized statistics anyway.

Is it the most dangerous place to go downtown and see a game and get some pizza? Not even close. Is it the most dangerous place to live in a rough neighborhood and try to open up a drug or prostitution operation? Absolutely. Is it the most dangerous city to work in as a business executive, lawyers, accountant etc? Again not even close. It is a dangerous place to live the welfare lifestyle? Yup. The level of danger depends on who you are, where you are and what you are doing there. Most generalizations are stupid. (Did Isay that somewhere already?)

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,312,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
is it me or is it pointless to complain about a city you don't live in, don't visit, have no ties to etc? or to complain about abandonment and decay when YOU or your parents, grandparents etc abandoned it? to talk about Detroit's problems when aren't doing **** to fix them? to make assumptions about people you don't come into contact with on a regular basis? to care what the **** our neighborhoods look like when you don't even drive through them? to talk about "our drug problem" when the very same people who are buying the drugs live next door to you in some little wack ass suburb? do their dirt in Detroit but go home to Harper Woods?
It costs the tax payers of Michigan for the mess called Detroit.

One reson to discuss it.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,496,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It costs the tax payers of Michigan for the mess called Detroit.
No one forced the taxpayers of Michigan to create the mess called Detroit.

The decline came after 1.1 million people decided to take their taxpayer dollars and double the land area of the Metropolitan area. So why did they do that?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No one forced the taxpayers of Michigan to create the mess called Detroit.

The decline came after 1.1 million people decided to take their taxpayer dollars and double the land area of the Metropolitan area. So why did they do that?
The highways.

Made it easy to get in and out of town in a short period of time.

At least you agree it is a mess.

A realtor friend of mine asked me one day if I wanted a house in Detroit for $1.00.

To be honest the house looked cute.

Go though the HUD listings......really sad.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The highways.

Made it easy to get in and out of town in a short period of time.
Oh well, like I said, Michigan taxpayers did it to themselves, and they have no one to blame for this cluster**** but themselves.

If they didn't want to support the mess Detroit has become, the taxpayers (voters) and their representatives should have been putting infrastructure and legislation in place in favor of Detroit. That means a far less laxed home rule clause, restrictions on urban sprawl, and most important, INVESTMENT in MEANINGFUL mass transit, like they did everywhere else.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Oh well, like I said, Michigan taxpayers did it to themselves, and they have no one to blame for this cluster**** but themselves.

If they didn't want to support the mess Detroit has become, the taxpayers (voters) and their representatives should have been putting infrastructure and legislation in place in favor of Detroit. That means a far less laxed home rule clause, restrictions on urban sprawl, and most important, INVESTMENT in MEANINGFUL mass transit, like they did everywhere else.
But, the highways was some of the cause.

And they sold cars.

At any rate...it is to late.

Bulldoze 50% of it.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
But, the highways was some of the cause.

And they sold cars.
Again, oh well.

This is what Michigan voters and taxpayers wanted (by the poor decisions made in the past 50 years) and this is what they got. It's just like Americans whining about losing their jobs to illegal immigrants and outsourcing yet they're the ones who wanted to jobs outsourced in the first place for cheap goods.

You would like for me to play a tiny violin for you and the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit