U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM

20,590 posts, read 22,750,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is silly to say that "Detroit" is dangerous based on generalized statistics anyway.

Is it the most dangerous place to go downtown and see a game and get some pizza? Not even close. Is it the most dangerous place to live in a rough neighborhood and try to open up a drug or prostitution operation? Absolutely. Is it the most dangerous city to work in as a business executive, lawyers, accountant etc? Again not even close. It is a dangerous place to live the welfare lifestyle? Yup. The level of danger depends on who you are, where you are and what you are doing there. Most generalizations are stupid. (Did Isay that somewhere already?)
But one can pretty much generalize that standing ouside a late model vehicle after 9:00 pm in places like Brightmore, Clark Park, on Conant, McNichols and Livernois, Dragoon, and any great number of streets / neighborhoods in Detroit will bring trouble. On the other hand, one can probably count the places and time of day it would not happen on one hand..beyond the highly protected areas of FOX, COMERICA / FORD FIELD and the area around the JOE. With the exception being the woman from Techumseh that was shot dead on Woodward during the Super Bowl and the folks shot at the fireworks, and wasn't there a shooting at Chene PArk and several on Belle Isle, and........but yes, it is safe to walk East Layafette, East Larned, East Congress and other areas in downtown when there are other folks out.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,479,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But one can pretty much generalize that standing ouside a late model vehicle after 9:00 pm in places like Brightmore, Clark Park, on Conant, McNichols and Livernois, Dragoon, and any great number of streets / neighborhoods in Detroit will bring trouble. On the other hand, one can probably count the places and time of day it would not happen on one hand..beyond the highly protected areas of FOX, COMERICA / FORD FIELD and the area around the JOE. With the exception being the woman from Techumseh that was shot dead on Woodward during the Super Bowl and the folks shot at the fireworks, and wasn't there a shooting at Chene PArk and several on Belle Isle, and........but yes, it is safe to walk East Layafette, East Larned, East Congress and other areas in downtown when there are other folks out.
Lets be real, we know there's a very low chance of any one person being a victim of a crime, whether they're in Chicago, NYC, Detroit or San Francisco.

But the question is, between all of the cities and Detroit as a whole, in which city does any one person have a higher chance of being a victim of a crime (yes, there's a difference in what I said in this question and the initial statement)?

Downtown detroit may be statistically safer than most cities, but that's only because it also has the emptiest CBD out of any major city. You can't be a victm of a crime if there aren't cirminals around.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:13 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,277,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Again, oh well.

This is what Michigan voters and taxpayers wanted (by the poor decisions made in the past 50 years) and this is what they got. It's just like Americans whining about losing their jobs to illegal immigrants and outsourcing yet they're the ones who wanted to jobs outsourced in the first place for cheap goods.

You would like for me to play a tiny violin for you and the others?
How nice for you to offer to play for me.

However, I would not hear you.

I live in Mid-Michigan on about the center of our 100 acre price of land.

And our business can not outsourced. Although many parts we use in water systems have been.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,603,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Defensive? Just admit that a certain group of people have destroyed what was once a vibrant city. That's the only way you will be able to find peace.
And this certain group would not be Africans I'm sure. Detroit was going down this road regardless of the color of the mayor, the jobs, manufacturing base has all moved south some due to weaker or no union presence. Also, easier to attract executives to warmer climates.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,330,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Lets be real, we know there's a very low chance of any one person being a victim of a crime, whether they're in Chicago, NYC, Detroit or San Francisco.

But the question is, between all of the cities and Detroit as a whole, in which city does any one person have a higher chance of being a victim of a crime (yes, there's a difference in what I said in this question and the initial statement)?

Downtown detroit may be statistically safer than most cities, but that's only because it also has the emptiest CBD out of any major city. You can't be a victm of a crime if there aren't cirminals around.
You're kidding, right?

Detroit's CBD is one of the few areas in the metro, along with the periphery of the CBD that are showing growth.

Not only that, but yeah, there are places in Detroit that you can go that you're asking for trouble.

Just like if you're black and go to rural northern Georgia, you're asking for trouble.

Just like if you hang around 7th street in Lexington, KY, you're asking for trouble.

Just like if you paint "man love rules" on an 80s Iroc and run out of gas in Alabama, you're asking for trouble (bonus points if you get the reference).

There are plenty of places that you can go and you'll be asking for trouble. Detroit has a lot of them.

It also has some great neighborhoods though.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,330,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
And this certain group would not be Africans I'm sure. Detroit was going down this road regardless of the color of the mayor, the jobs, manufacturing base has all moved south some due to weaker or no union presence. Also, easier to attract executives to warmer climates.
You're right on the first part, no matter what - mass abandonment ruins a city. It's not because of the blacks. If anything, it's because of the whites who picked up and left, gave up, and pursued their sterile, consumerist suburban dream.

Most of the manufacturing base moving out has nothing to do with unions though. It's more to do with changes in urban and regional governance to smaller government and neoliberal processes.

The sad part is that the agglomerations that the Big 3 and other manufacturing powerhouses invested in are what drew them/kept them in the first place. Now they just ***** themselves out to the highest bidder in order to improve their overhead. It's less about unions and more about tax breaks. The Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY was placed there due to access to I75 and I64, free land and a massive tax break.

The thing is... that tax break will expire someday. The plant may move then. They pay unionlike wages and have massive pensions and the likes, just as GM workers do. They're also constantly bailed out (subsidized) by the Japanese and sometimes UK government.

We complain about one bailout for our automakers? Toyota, Nissan, etc. literally ARE government motors.

Not only that, but greenfield factory development of that type is horrible for the environment and is extremely inaccessible.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
You're kidding, right?

Detroit's CBD is one of the few areas in the metro, along with the periphery of the CBD that are showing growth.
You ever heard of the saying "When you're at rock bottom, you have no where else to go but up?" Well that applies here. Downtown Detroit on an average day (sporting events and festivals notwithstanding) is still emptier than most downtowns in other major cities. This is because most people in the metro area have no reason to go downtown since everything is sprawled out in Troy, Sterling Heights, Roseville, Dearborn and Southfield, (which goes back to my original point). Even with its growth, there are still times when you can go down a random street and not find ANY foot traffic. The main exception has been along Griswold in the financial district during the lunch rush. So it stil has a long way to go before experiencing appreciable growth.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How nice for you to offer to play for me.

However, I would not hear you.

I live in Mid-Michigan on about the center of our 100 acre price of land.
Great, then why are you so concerned about what happens in Detroit?

If you live in Mid-Michigan, it's highly unlikely your taxpayer dollars are coming back to Detroit.

Even then, oh well. Your representatives in Lansing caused the mess their with Anti-Detroit legislation over the years and I bet you didn't say anything about that for the past 80-90 years.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,783,502 times
Quote:
Detroit wasn't the only city to face these challenges, Pittsburgh did as well.

The reasons for its decline are as clear as day and demographics are a big part of the decline. A population that is marginally educated, where 80% of its babies are born out of wedlock is not going to sustain a thriving city.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
As for the manufacturing base moving south, I doubt we've lost much manufacturing to AL/LA/MS/GA in comparison to the number of jobs we've lost due to the LACK of regulation on trade and immigration, in other words to other countries and non-americans completely.

Furthermore, many people will overlook things such as climate and taxes and regulation if the quality of life is high.

This is why Boston, NYC, Washington D.C., Chicago, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Seattle continue to thrive in spite of their high taxes, regulations and crappy climates.

So again, what's the excuse for Detroit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit