U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM

17,254 posts, read 7,450,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Bing does not seem like a fighter to me. His lack of a punch is why so many suburban people liked him and Archer. Detroit mayors with a punch get attacked by the suburbs and media. Now the city has a passive mayor who just goes along.
Pining for Coleman Young, eh?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 PM

179 posts, read 56,457 times
Our two Detroit bus systems are hanging on by a thread and now we are adding a THIRD bus system? How long till they underfund and cut this new bus rapid transit?

I WILL make an effort to use Michigan Ave and Woodward BRT if it ever actually happens, because, assuming you can park for free at or near the stop, it'd be the easiest way to get downtown.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,706,834 times
I'm actually cheering in a small way. The east side always gets neglected in these sorts of things. Put a line on either Gratiot or Jefferson, or both, and I would have been excited about the plans and disappointed about its failure, but being on Woodward, it would have been nothing but a toy for the Woodward corridor of Oakland County, especially if they managed to get it to at least 14 Mile.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 AM

7,555 posts, read 10,016,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Bing does not seem like a fighter to me. His lack of a punch is why so many suburban people liked him and Archer. Detroit mayors with a punch get attacked by the suburbs and media. Now the city has a passive mayor who just goes along.
Some say fighter, I prefer bully and maybe tyrant. Others say punch, I say player. I see Bing as a diplomat--but that has always been the problem in Detroit--the litmus test for mayor is how they are percieved by the suburbs.

Kilpatrick all but ran on the idea those liked by the suburbs are "uncle toms" and those disliked by the burbs are bruthas & sistas in the fight against suburban oppression. BLAM! KA-POW!!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM

5,866 posts, read 4,444,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I'm actually cheering in a small way. The east side always gets neglected in these sorts of things. Put a line on either Gratiot or Jefferson, or both, and I would have been excited about the plans and disappointed about its failure, but being on Woodward, it would have been nothing but a toy for the Woodward corridor of Oakland County, especially if they managed to get it to at least 14 Mile.
Oh, how correct you are. As I've pointed out in the past, Gratiot is used more heavily than Woodward. Woodward has two expressways that closely parallel it. Gratiot also cuts through the street grid diagonally, giving less options for getting to/from downtown.

source: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...T_175485_7.pdf

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,565,396 times
The wealthy supporters of the light rail aren't giving up so easily.

Wealthy private investors hold out hope for light rail in Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Kresge Foundation not ready to see light rail derailed; joins call for shorter Woodward route

Quote:
In a letter sent Tuesday to Gov. Rick Snyder and Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, Kresge joined other private funders in advocating for a continuation of the downtown portion of the project, after learning of the new direction late last week.

In the letter, the private funders proposed that plans for a 3.4-mile rail line from downtown to the New Center area continue while work is going on to prepare a regional transit system to attract federal funding for that.

The proposal represents a return to the much smaller, original plan that was to have been funded solely through private contributions.

“Detroit is at a critical juncture,” the funders wrote in the letter. “The need for a powerful catalyst to spur investment, attract new residents and businesses and help restore the city’s tax base is urgent.”

Signing the letter were Kresge President and CEO Rip Rapson, Penske Corp. founder and M1 Rail Chairman Roger Penske, Quicken Loans Inc./Rock Financial founder and M1 Vice Chairman Dan Gilbert and M1 CEO Matt Cullen.

Compuware Corp. founder Peter Karmanos Jr.; the Ilitch family, which owns the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings and Little Caesar Enterprises Inc.; Henry Ford Hospital; and Wayne State University joined the other private funders in each having committed $3 million for the display advertising rights to a station along the planned rail’s route.

The M1 consortium, which initially tried to build a small version of the rail line without government involvement, has pledged $100 million in cash and tax credits toward the project’s capital costs.
Detroit might still get a light rail (albeit shorter) if the city's businessmen have anything to say about it. This will be quite interesting, indeed.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 AM

117 posts, read 95,099 times
Thank God. These people are all consistent, too, so if it's Bing and Snyder on the one hand and a group of people who have actually proven themselves competent on the other, I'm throwing my weight with the private investors. "A critical junctures" is exactly the situation, but it's amazing that this is kind of discussion didn't occur before Snyder and Bing decided to drop the project; it seems like they were blindly rash in letting out the news.

The more that's said about this rapid transit bus thing, even though it's still so vague, the more I'm incredulous. From the Free Press article:

"Hertel and other supporters said bus rapid transit lines should not be confused with ordinary bus lines: The vehicles are longer and sleeker than ordinary coaches. Bus stations could be much more elaborate than typical shelters, offering WiFi Internet connections, digital displays of route information and ticket vending machines, among other amenities."

That sounds delusional; where exactly are those amenities in the dreary lobby of Rosa Parks Transit Center, which almost never even restocks the pamphlets that show bus routes/times. Bing hasn't even been able to solve the current DDOT problem! Euh, it makes no sense.

But this is still great news. The downtown corridor would be the most used section anyways, and would greatly facilitate tourism as well, since there lies the bulk of Detroit's attractions (from the perspective of a visitor). If the political support is broad, and the FP article seems to indicate so, then hopefully the state will offer more support.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,558,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The wealthy supporters of the light rail aren't giving up so easily.

Wealthy private investors hold out hope for light rail in Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Kresge Foundation not ready to see light rail derailed; joins call for shorter Woodward route

Detroit might still get a light rail (albeit shorter) if the city's businessmen have anything to say about it. This will be quite interesting, indeed.
I am glad to hear that! Sometime you have to take a step back to make a leap forward. You have to take risk. Light Rail will be a bridge to nowhere in the short term, but it lays the transportation infrastructure for a long term revival.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM

49,337 posts, read 45,892,062 times
my sister and kids live in the detroit area
light rail is only as good as the streets around it are safe.
need we discuss further?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,444,774 times
I would support a light rail line that is privately funded. If rich people and foundations want to risk their money on such a speculative venture, there is a good chance they will do what it takes to make it work. And I think the city and state should give them full support from the legal standpoint, unlike the grief they are giving Maroun with the new Ambassador bridge.

Incidentally, the streetcar system that Detroit used to have was built privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit