U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:31 PM

5,560 posts, read 3,973,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Simple. Its due to the fact that it's a national trend from the suburbs to the city.....and the suburbs of Detroit are overwhelmingly white. Just like the current trend from the city to the suburb is majority black due to the city being overwhelmingly black. Blacks are able to move to the suburbs with greater ease these days and its still something new and desired for many blacks (to live in the suburbs). Its the opposite for many whites who grew up in the suburbs and now want something different which they find living in the city.

Another thing is that young whites and young blacks are more on the same page, culturally, than older whites and blacks are. They like many of the same things and have interacted together more than previous generations. So there is less distrust and fear between the younger generation.....which will change Detroits demographics.
Okay, I think the same. I just wanted to elicit another post from you that I could agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM

6,289 posts, read 4,062,035 times
If I'm identifying the posters correctly, per another post on a different forum, this is essentially the straw that's breaking ForStarters' back.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM

5,560 posts, read 3,973,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If I'm identifying the posters correctly, per another post on a different forum, this is essentially the straw that's breaking ForStarters' back.
What happened to him?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:45 PM

7,340 posts, read 9,276,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

As in unfulfilled promises?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,516,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It's also not the final track to be built. The whole plan is to connect most every corner of the region and it's not going to happen over night.

If it takes too long to build, it might not be worth it. I know I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy a good quality, comprehensive, light rail system, and that wait time makes it less worthwhile in my eyes.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM

2,800 posts, read 2,208,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
If it takes too long to build, it might not be worth it. I know I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy a good quality, comprehensive, light rail system, and that wait time makes it less worthwhile in my eyes.
Well, ya know, at the current rate of how fast things move around here...

Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,516,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Well, ya know, at the current rate of how fast things move around here...
What I was thinking was, that if I were either living in a truly urban section of Detroit or planning to move to a truly urban part of a city sometime in the near future, would I want to move to the painfully slow work in progress that is Detroit, or would I want to move someplace already pretty much complete, like NYC, Chicago, et al? I like the idea of light rail, subways, all that, but would I want to sit here and wait ten or twenty years while city fathers fight over it (and suffering through construction delays all that time like when they build an interstate highway) or would I want to go someplace that has it already and enjoy it while I'm still more or less young enough to enjoy it?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 AM

339 posts, read 310,655 times
I think this article sort of explains the fear of borrowing and lending at the munnicipal level.....
and investing in significant $$$$ infrastructure projects.....

California and Bust | Business | Vanity Fair

If California is going bust.....

what can "they" expect of Detroit.....

especially with it's latest low population stats,
and strong competition from other Mid-Western cities,
who are doing a much better job with gentrification and renewal.

Perhaps that's why Retroit keeps insisting on having the jobs and people come FIRST,
and deal with the ingrasture LATER.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
What I was thinking was, that if I were either living in a truly urban section of Detroit or planning to move to a truly urban part of a city sometime in the near future, would I want to move to the painfully slow work in progress that is Detroit, or would I want to move someplace already pretty much complete, like NYC, Chicago, et al? I like the idea of light rail, subways, all that, but would I want to sit here and wait ten or twenty years while city fathers fight over it (and suffering through construction delays all that time like when they build an interstate highway) or would I want to go someplace that has it already and enjoy it while I'm still more or less young enough to enjoy it?
Agreed.

And apparently 48% of Detroit's younger people feel the exact same way, since the statistics show they're leaving the region in droves for NYC, Chicago, etc.

Even Minneapolis has a neighborhood in its city with density of 30,000 per sq. mi. I think the densest Detroit has is 10,000 sq. mi., and these are the outer ring neighborhoods which historically aren't even very walkable.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Perhaps that's why Retroit keeps insisting on having the jobs and people come FIRST,
and deal with the ingrasture LATER.
It's a catch-22 though.

How can you attract people with wealth to an environment with a relatively low quality of life?

People around here always assume the cheaper things are the better, but value is also important, and good value doesn't come cheap.

This article I think explains it all best...

Michigan CEO: Soul-Crushing Sprawl Killing Business | Rust Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit