Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 189,305 times

Advertisements

For those who've seen this show (and it's probably the best thing on now, mind you), isn't it completely unfathomable that it has yet to come to Detroit? The show takes place in prohibition-era Atlantic City (a city which, like Detroit, saw quite a bit of problems in the latter half of the 20th century) and trails the growth of organized crime, making appearances at all the other big cities of the time - Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York. But Detroit hasn't even been mentioned, which seems a bit historically myopic considering that Detroit was a big center for alcohol smuggling from Canada.

They could introduced Gaspar Milazzo as coordinating deals with Al Capone, who is one of the characters in the show.

Let's, er, campaign for Boardwalk Empire to come to Detroit in season 3!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
I agree. I really have been enjoying Boardwalk Empire on HBO GO, but have been sad that there hasn't been nary a mention of Detroit, the Purple Gang, etc., over the show's five seasons. I get it, Chicago and Capone stand in for the Midwest, but I think it's oversight to have the characters, both the gangsters and law enforcement, leave Detroit out when talking strategically during numerous detailed exchanges. During Prohibition, bootlegging was Detroit's second industry, netting $215 million per year, [url=http://reuther.wayne.edu/node/8334]Walter P. Reuther Library[/url].

Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,157,788 times
I guess Detroit doesn't conjure up images of prohibition-era gangsters like Chicago and New York do. Plus, maybe they think the whole city is so run-down that they can't shoot any good scenes like in those other cities. This excuse was given for the made-for-TV movie series, "The Temptations" about 12 years ago, which was shot in Pittsburgh and not Detroit.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,882,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I guess Detroit doesn't conjure up images of prohibition-era gangsters like Chicago and New York do. Plus, maybe they think the whole city is so run-down that they can't shoot any good scenes like in those other cities. This excuse was given for the made-for-TV movie series, "The Temptations" about 12 years ago, which was shot in Pittsburgh and not Detroit.
There are plenty of occupied neighborhoods where they could have shot scenes. It really doesn't take much to shoot some scenes in occupied areas.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:41 PM

464 posts, read 451,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Good points indeed. Detroit certainly is very run down city wide... and it is no surprise they wouldn't want to film here. Driving into Downtown Detroit down Fort, Michigan, Grand River, Woodward, Gratiot, Jefferson, you name it is depressing.

Or, maybe BE just doesn't find our prohibition-era history that interesting and we're overanalyzing everything.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
There are plenty of occupied neighborhoods where they could have shot scenes. It really doesn't take much to shoot some scenes in occupied areas.
It's a needle in a haystack, Mississippi 313. For every occupied stretch of land there's ten blocks of semi or entirely vacant land filled with burnt out buildings, crack houses, and a good well maintained house with an old white lady sitting inside with her glock. It's a disappointing reality, really...

Old 08-20-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
It's a needle in a haystack, Mississippi 313. For every occupied stretch of land there's ten blocks of semi or entirely vacant land filled with burnt out buildings, crack houses, and a good well maintained house with an old white lady sitting inside with her glock. It's a disappointing reality, really...
"Mississippi 313"??? "M.S." is my initials bruh.

For every mostly occupied block (because I wasn't even talking about completely occupied blocks) there are 10 mostly vacant blocks? Which would make Detroit almost 90% vacant? Do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds? Even if we were strictly talking about the eastside, it still wouldn't even be close to accurate. Detroit is not a pretty city but it has enough problems without people trying to exaggerate it's existing problems. You stay trying to accuse me of being a blind Detroit booster but you are just as much of a blind Detroit hater, at least I try to stick to facts when I open my mouth. Multiple survey's have stated that somewhere around 21% of Detroit is vacant (way far off from the 90% that you somehow estimated).

Here's a better scope of things:
http://datadrivendetroit.org/wp-cont...cLotsAllBG.pdf
Looks far from a needle in a haystack to me. Had what you said been true, 90% of this map would be covered in dark green (which means over 50% abandoned). Literally every other color on the map besides the darkest green is mostly (more than 50%) occupied.

Anyway, we were talking about movies right? You mean to tell me Transformers can make shoot scenes in Detroit and make it look like Chicago, LA, and China without anyone knowing the difference but the location scouting crew couldn't find a few well maintained blocks to shoot some scenes? Well... judging by the miles of light green in that map, I'd say the location scouting crew should have been fired. You barely even need an entire block to shoot a movie scene. Even the movie crossover could find some good spots in neighborhoods where there were mostly flats. And those neighborhoods are some of the roughest.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
"Mississippi 313"??? "M.S." is my initials bruh.

For every mostly occupied block (because I wasn't even talking about completely occupied blocks) there are 10 mostly vacant blocks? Which would make Detroit almost 90% vacant? Do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds? Even if we were strictly talking about the eastside, it still wouldn't even be close to accurate. Detroit is not a pretty city but it has enough problems without people trying to exaggerate it's existing problems. You stay trying to accuse me of being a blind Detroit booster but you are just as much of a blind Detroit hater, at least I try to stick to facts when I open my mouth. Multiple survey's have stated that somewhere around 21% of Detroit is vacant (way far off from the 90% that you somehow estimated).

Here's a better scope of things:
http://datadrivendetroit.org/wp-cont...cLotsAllBG.pdf
Looks far from a needle in a haystack to me. Had what you said been true, 90% of this map would be covered in dark green (which means over 50% abandoned). Literally every other color on the map besides the darkest green is mostly (more than 50%) occupied.

Anyway, we were talking about movies right? You mean to tell me Transformers can make shoot scenes in Detroit and make it look like Chicago, LA, and China without anyone knowing the difference but the location scouting crew couldn't find a few well maintained blocks to shoot some scenes? Well... judging by the miles of light green in that map, I'd say the location scouting crew should have been fired. You barely even need an entire block to shoot a movie scene. Even the movie crossover could find some good spots in neighborhoods where there were mostly flats. And those neighborhoods are some of the roughest.
Semi vacant, semi blighted or entirely vacant/blighted. I count any block that has blighted buildings or stretches of vacant land as blighted. Over half of properties in Detroit are blighted or vacant. I'm not making up anything when I say Detroit is screwed up. There shouldn't be any denial about this.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Semi vacant, semi blighted or entirely vacant/blighted. I count any block that has blighted buildings or stretches of vacant land as blighted. Over half of properties in Detroit are blighted or vacant. I'm not making up anything when I say Detroit is screwed up. There shouldn't be any denial about this.
Oh NOW you want to be more clear. Just in your last post you were talking about the other 10 blocks having only one (or a few) occupied home on the block where an old white lady keeps her glock. But as I said in my last post, "I wasn't even talking about completely occupied blocks" and I also said "Detroit is not a pretty city" meaning yes, it is rough, very rough. The fact is, you honestly don't need a crispy clean perfect block to shoot a movie scene.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Oh NOW you want to be more clear. Just in your last post you were talking about the other 10 blocks having only one (or a few) occupied home on the block where an old white lady keeps her glock. But as I said in my last post, "I wasn't even talking about completely occupied blocks" and I also said "Detroit is not a pretty city" meaning yes, it is rough, very rough. The fact is, you honestly don't need a crispy clean perfect block to shoot a movie scene.
Does every thread have to end with you starting an argument about how safe and awesome Detroit is and someone half sane arguing back? I'm at Grand Blvd at Rosa Parks right now half a block from the Motown Museum and funeral home and Detroit looks dumpy as ever. I clarified my statement that 9/10 blocks have blighted or vacant properties on them, not refuted it. Bajeezus. I didn't say we don't have nice blocks, just that they are overall far and few between outside Downtown, Midtown, and Lafayette Park.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit