U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,210 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi all.

Maybe people can help? My wife and daughter are from Michigan, where we used to live (K-Zoo, Battle Creek) and I am from Manchester, England where we now live. We hope to return to the US at some point and are looking at homes in Mexicantown.

Could we get some opinions of this area in general, and the area around Clark Street in particular? Schools, employment, general safety - and maybe peoples opinions on how the area may go in the future. Am I right in thinking that Mexicantown is undergoing some regeneration, or is that word no longer even applicable in the current economic climate?

Really just hoping some good people might shares their thoughts, feelings, experience and opinions with us in faraway England - it would be gratefully received
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
 
102 posts, read 126,988 times
Reputation: 62
The local community site is insidesouthwest.com but it doesn't look like it's updated super often. I think the "community profile" page is pretty insightful (complete with a moving guide) and links to ModelD Media.

Taqueria Lupitas (a few doors down from Xochimilco) has quickly become a favorite of mine. The carne asada tacos are amazing (and only $1.50 each)

Community Profile | Inside Southwest Detroit

Also Southwest Solutions: Southwest Solutions in southwest Detroit: Changing lives, building community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan and Sometimes Orange County CA
15,819 posts, read 32,609,081 times
Reputation: 11883
While I am normally a supporter of people wanting to move downtown your answers are:

Schools: Horrid. Terrible with a few excpetions for exceptional or wealthy students.

Empoyment: Really bad. You are pretty much crazy to move here without a job or at least a highly marketable skill. You do nto just come here and look for any kind of job. If you are a doctor or some other type of professional you will probably be able to find something. If you are looking for factory work, get in line.

Safety: Marginal. Right in Mexcian villiage is not too bad. One street away can be really awful. Some areas you do not want ot be if you are not hispanic. Other areas you o not want to be unless you are black. Other areas are ok. None of it is "safe" at least not by my definitions and my definiions are pretty broad.

I have encountered some scary incidnets in the area when I accidentally got off the main roads. However a few personal incidents is not necessarily typical of an entire area. However both my understanding and my experience is that it is not very safe.

I recently re-connected with a good friend who has lived there for 45 years. I will ask him when I see him what his impression is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,210 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While I am normally a supporter of people wanting to move downtown your answers are:

Schools: Horrid. Terrible with a few excpetions for exceptional or wealthy students.

Empoyment: Really bad. You are pretty much crazy to move here without a job or at least a highly marketable skill. You do nto just come here and look for any kind of job. If you are a doctor or some other type of professional you will probably be able to find something. If you are looking for factory work, get in line.

Safety: Marginal. Right in Mexcian villiage is not too bad. One street away can be really awful. Some areas you do not want ot be if you are not hispanic. Other areas you o not want to be unless you are black. Other areas are ok. None of it is "safe" at least not by my definitions and my definiions are pretty broad.

I have encountered some scary incidnets in the area when I accidentally got off the main roads. However a few personal incidents is not necessarily typical of an entire area. However both my understanding and my experience is that it is not very safe.

I recently re-connected with a good friend who has lived there for 45 years. I will ask him when I see him what his impression is.
Hi Coldjensens,

And thank you for your kind and swift reply. The area I am looking at is actually Clark Street, facing Clark Park which if I am not misunderstanding is a baseball field.

Your answer to my query is, in many ways, expected. When we lived in Michigan we lived in a 'bad' neighbourhood in a town called Battle Creek. It was largely black neighbourhood and there were a lot of drive by shootings during the summer evenings, but I got along okay there and made some friends. So, I do have some experience living in that kind of area.

My concern is that Battle Creek is a relatively small town and I am sure that living in the ghetto there would be no comparison to living in a bad neighbourhood in Detroit. I was really trying to get an idea of degrees of danger I guess, and especially in the area I mentioned.

Well, thank you again for the info. I would love it if your friend who lives around there might have any opinions on the area around Clark Street. Looking of Google Streetview, the area looks well kept - managed lawns, few potholes, no pit-bulls in yards etc - basically all the things we didn't have in Battle Creek lol.

Of course, all of that may change very quickly and the streetview pictures may be very out of date.

Well, I'm rambling now so I shall thank you again. It has been my pleasure thus far and I look forward to hearing from you again.

I am Ian, by the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Your computer screen.
6,099 posts, read 4,811,632 times
Reputation: 5972
If you are limiting yourself to the City of Detroit and can't afford one of the more wealthy neighborhoods (Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Boston-Edison, etc.) or downtown, I would say Mexicantown would be a good option.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone with no prior "ghetto" experience.

Any reason you ruled out the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,210 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If you are limiting yourself to the City of Detroit and can't afford one of the more wealthy neighborhoods (Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Boston-Edison, etc.) or downtown, I would say Mexicantown would be a good option.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone with no prior "ghetto" experience.

Any reason you ruled out the suburbs?
Hi Retroit.

Just money really. Those neighbourhoods are not cheap and I things I have read suggest MT is regenerating - if regenerating is a word which can really be used in any context at the moment.

I am really trying to get an idea of whether it is worth asking my father in law to take a drive over from Coldwater, mi, to take a look at the neighbourhood around Clark St. If that entire area is like Beirut, I won't even ask him to go take a look. Not sure if you know the area around Clark St?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Your computer screen.
6,099 posts, read 4,811,632 times
Reputation: 5972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargob69 View Post
Hi Retroit.

Just money really. Those neighbourhoods are not cheap and I things I have read suggest MT is regenerating - if regenerating is a word which can really be used in any context at the moment.

I am really trying to get an idea of whether it is worth asking my father in law to take a drive over from Coldwater, mi, to take a look at the neighbourhood around Clark St. If that entire area is like Beirut, I won't even ask him to go take a look. Not sure if you know the area around Clark St?
Okay, that's fair. You can take a look at the area yourself using:

Google Maps -has a good street level view (place little person on the map)
www.bing.com/maps/ - has a good Bird's Eye view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,210 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Okay, that's fair. You can take a look at the area yourself using:

Google Maps -has a good street level view (place little person on the map)
www.bing.com/maps/ - has a good Bird's Eye view
Hi Retroit. Your continued interest in my query is very much appreciated. We have taken a look using streetview, it was one of the first things we did. It is a very useful tool of course, however, the images maybe years old in a lot of cases.

All of the worrying things I would look for, having lived in Post Addition, Battle Creek, mi - do not seem apparent. By which I mean, signs of a run down and very economically depressed neighborhood: Pot holed roads, badly kept yards, graffiti, chain link fences, pit bull dogs etc. There even seems to be some construction going on in the immediate area.

All this makes me think that the area is either really quite good, or that the images are pre recession and not truly representative of the area as it may be today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Michigan
3,308 posts, read 2,871,659 times
Reputation: 2394
Actually, there's a little date stamp on the bottom left and it says the images are from July 2009, so it ought to not be too different now. There is some graffiti in the area, most of it in alleyways, on industrial buildings, and a few street signs.

Judging by the graffiti and from what I've skimmed on the internet, there is slight Latino gang related activity in the area. It definitely isn't as strong as a larger city like Chicago or LA, but something to be mindful of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Your computer screen.
6,099 posts, read 4,811,632 times
Reputation: 5972
What is it with Latinos and graffiti? The graffiti isn't too bad in the Detroit area until you get near Mexicantown. Seems to be the case in other cities/neighborhoods with a high Latino population as well.

Yo, watsup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top