U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM

6,928 posts, read 4,728,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I'm sure Cleveland has the lovliest supermarkets imaginable.
I'm sure they have way more full service markets and definitely more chain markets, if nothing else.

They would be all over the news too if they were as national grocery store chainless or full service storeless as Detroit.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,100,253 times
Detroit has 34 full service Spartan stores. That doesn't even include discount chains like Aldis and Save A Lot. I personally shop at Save A Lot.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM

175 posts, read 130,557 times
Yeah this is definitely a thread about Clevo and Detroit...reference all the fighting, LOL!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM

I also shop at Meijer and there isn't one within 50 miles of Cleveland.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Detroit has 34 full service stores.
Define "full service."

I can count on one hand the number of stores that, in addition to shelf items, have a fully operating deli, bakery, pharmacy, and a full line of maet/produce.

Mazen Foods is one of them too, which is rat infested based on several stories AND personal experience.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I also shop at Meijer and there isn't one within 50 miles of Cleveland.
That's because Meijer has just recently (in the last 10-20 years) started heavily expanding outside of Michigan.

And yes, I know you shop at Meijer. You wouldn't expect you to be shopping at Mazen Foods, which is one of the "better" markets in the city.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM

I don't live near a Mazen. Why would I drive out of my way to a Mazen foods? My aunt lives in Detroit at Warren and Chalmers and she manages to find groceries in the city. I'll have to ask her where she gets them.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
My aunt lives in Detroit at Warren and Chalmers and she manages to find groceries in the city. I'll have to ask her where she gets them.
Fair enough, I'll wait for that answer...

There aren't any full service grocery stores in that area either, and the grocery stores which are in that area (The one on Barham & Warren, Public Foods, Dallas Supermarket, Thrifty Scot, etc.) are especially ghetto.

I'm betting if she doesn't travel all the way out of her neighborhood to the Grosse Pointe Kroger or just deal with the aforementioned markets listed in the previous paragraph, she goes to Del-Pointe or Parkway Foods for regular shopping (both of which are unimpressive, dated and look like they haven't been cleaned in years last time I visited both).

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM

179 posts, read 56,299 times
There is a Super K in city limits
The Dearborn Walmart might as well be in Detroit - directly to the north, east and west are city neighborhoods, and its not located near any Dearborn neighborhoods so, even though its not in city limits, it's there to serve city residents (and you can tell by the abundance of cameras and security guards).

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 PM

1,762 posts, read 1,463,534 times
OMG. CAN DETROITERS CROSS A STREET? YES
DO THEY HAVE "CHAIN" GROCERY STORES THAT ARE DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM DETROIT? PLENTY!!!
DO THEY HAVE GROCERY STORES IN DETROIT? YES
Do they have plenty of "chain" grocery stores that serve city residence? yes
A chain grocery store is NOT that special. It's a grocery store, chain or not. Plain and simple.
Most Detroiters are closer to a "chain" grocery store than they are downtown Detroit so again is it REALLY that serious? NO!!!
If anybody is that worked up over a damn "chain" grocery store than perhaps you should either MOVE to Cleveland or create a damn "chain" yourself. Sitting here complaining about it on Citydata is not going to change a damn thing. If your going to complain to anybody complain to the city leaders and maybe they will actually do something about it (haha good luck). If the whole grocery store thing never made the news you probably wouldn't have even noticed it. But since it's SOO serious, how about you get a group together and expand the Detroit city limits a quarter mile. Then it will be PLENTY of "chain" grocery stores for all the Detroiters who can't cross the city limit line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit