U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,288,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyveker View Post
Yeah it's gotten really nice. A ton of wayne state kids have moved in, in the north part, but it's still a very diverse neighborhood. I lived in the southern block on commonwealth, near grand river, and my block was half families, a couple of wayne staters, and then a couple of single people. There were block meetings every two weeks. There's very little abandonment. Many homes - and the apartment buildings - have been renovated, quite a few by this guy:

Live in Woodbridge

His houses are easy to spot because they all have trendy looking bike racks installed.

Plus there's Woodbridge Pub and there's something called the mulberry project opening up. There's also Trumbullplex, an anarchist collective that's been around twenty years. And there's an the contemporary art institute of detroit, a gallery and show space on rosa parks. A couple of blocks west (not really in Woodbridge, but on its perimeter) there's the Kunsthalle Detroit, a video and light museum that opened up last year.

It's a great neighborhood, close to midtown and downtown, nice small streets with big trees, and everyone is mega friendly (which is a quality that I see in most Detroiters, actually!). You can walk around at night and feel totally safe, although, of course, as in many Detroit neighborhoods, there's been some car thefts et al.

It definitely deserves to be on the list.

Just our of curiosity, what was it like when it wasn't so good? I became friends with some of my neighbors who said they had been there for forty years!

Empty, run down, Some burned out buildings. I do not know the Woodbrige neighborhood specifically just the general area to the West of the WSU athletic complex. I used to run there and sometimes park there (but had my battery stolen twice). (I think that is west. I get confused direction wise in Detroit, when I looked up Woodbridge on the map, it is on the side of the athletic complex that was scary.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM

743 posts, read 1,434,833 times
Green Acres, Sherwood Park

I fact I think the Palmer Woods area would be a great place for kids to play outside and ride their bikes. Probably the only place in the city that would be safe enough for that.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM

7,522 posts, read 9,806,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslanka View Post
Either I didn't catch the sarcasm there or you haven't been to Brightmoor in a while haha.
Why I was just there this summer. Still looks like I remember it from the Summer of '03...2003 that is.
So, like, what's wrong with the Fenkell Strip? There are many fond memories of living on Riverdale. What was it Charles Dickens wrote about the Best of times...

Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM

117 posts, read 93,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Green Acres, Sherwood Park

I fact I think the Palmer Woods area would be a great place for kids to play outside and ride their bikes. Probably the only place in the city that would be safe enough for that.
I think all of the listed neighborhoods would be safe to do that in. When I lived in Woodbridge all the kids would ride their bikes around. It'd definitely be safe enough in downtown and midtown and lafayette park and the villages and boston-edison (though maybe a bit more limited).

Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Empty, run down, Some burned out buildings. I do not know the Woodbrige neighborhood specifically just the general area to the West of the WSU athletic complex. I used to run there and sometimes park there (but had my battery stolen twice). (I think that is west. I get confused direction wise in Detroit, when I looked up Woodbridge on the map, it is on the side of the athletic complex that was scary.)
Oh yeah! There's community soft ball every sunday at that field.

I think maybe you might be thinking more of the area west of Woodbridge, because most of that area has been demolished basically, so I can imagine burning houses at one point. This is the triangle from 12th street to Grand River, especially the block bounded by 12th street, forest, canfield, and gr. That block is completely empty and is basically a fenced in field. My impression was that Woodbridge, while definitely going through some stuff, wasn't nearly as affected as some other neighborhoods (Briggs!), or the Jeffries projects. Incidentally, some of the Jeffries towers were demolished and others were converted to a senior residence called Woodbridge Estates.

Definitely check it out now, you'll for sure be in for a nice surprise! Get a founders dirty bastard at woodbridge pub, and try the black bean burger.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

743 posts, read 1,434,833 times
The unfortunate thing about all these nice areas is that I don't think any one of them actually has a functioning walkable business district.

It's a shame. Oh well, "Motor city"

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
The unfortunate thing about all these nice areas is that I don't think any one of them actually has a functioning walkable business district.

It's a shame. Oh well, "Motor city"
Well downtown and midtown do. And you can easily walk to either from Woodbridge. And at least all the good neighborhoods are near big bus lines. New Center is certainly walkable.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,459,222 times
Actually, I have a complaint against Palmer Woods and Palmer Park and "walkability".

The actual part of Palmer Park that has playgrounds and areas for people to do activities (basketball, tennis, etc.) are on the south end of the park. The north side is mainly taken up by the golf course. When you actually live in Sherwood, it feels like a pretty lengthy walk (google puts it at 23 minutes).

I know this because I took a photography walk through Sherwood and the University District. I only spent a half hour out and it really didn't feel like I covered much area. Other major urban areas seem to have parks or small playgrounds every few blocks, but I've sort of noticed that Detroit's are actually quite far apart.

On top of that, the small parks that other people could go to that are closer don't really have playgrounds and really act more like green space rather than parks people actually go to.

For example: I took a photograph here...

Google puts the playground at Palmer Park at 25 walking minutes away. The next closest is at a school in UD at 11 minutes. However, there is green space that's only 9 minutes away and seems like it could hold a small playground.

It's not a dramatic difference between the school and the green space, but I feel the green space is underutilized and could improve the walkability of the area. Kids especially aren't going to walk as far as a typical adult would, so that's what I'm sorta keeping in mind. Most people would either drive to Palmer Park, or since they're in a car anyway, drive to Belle Isle or some other park they can easily get to.

Of course I'm not bashing on the neighborhoods to make them look bad or anything, but I'm just pointing out that there's still a lot of room for improvement to make them ever so better and that hopefully all neighborhoods in Detroit will someday reach this sort of quality of living.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,282,564 times
woodbridge is not rundown, well most of it is not. It has improved a lot and of course it still has some growing to do but its not rundown and empty. The area near woodbridge, i believe its core city, is the really rundown part but there has been some investment over there too

Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Yeah, Core City is basically a field, like Briggs. It does however have that Kunsthalle Detroit museum I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit