U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM

4,251 posts, read 2,741,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The only thing that has really changed is that there are more blacks living here. There isn't much noticeable difference otherwise. The homes are still well kept and most of the businesses are still in operation except for some of the very few manufacturing industries we had. The crime rate has even gone down in the past couple of years despite the decrease in police officers. The test results for school children has gone down, but that is a reflection of the poorly educated products of DPS that have moved in. The teachers are still the same quality, so you really can't blame the schools directly. Most education takes place at home anyway, so it's really the parents fault if their kids don't value learning.

The city leadership is pretty good actually. We're suffering from property tax revenue due to falling property values (like everywhere else). But the city has done a good job reducing expenses. Unless the economy gets worse or the downturn is prolonged, I doubt we would need an Emergency Manager. But as I've said in other threads, I don't think an EM is all that bad. It gives a clean slate to rebuild upon and allows the unions to see how great they really are (sarcasm).
Demographically Eastpointe is on its way to becoming East Detroit. Look at the high school demographics in the link I provided. There is a mass flight of whites from the school as the black student enrollment has increased. The white flight from the schools is why the district is now in trouble. This will increase residential white flight from the city the vast majority of the buyers, for the sellers, will be black and the cities demographics will transition like Southfield's did over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM

6,099 posts, read 4,800,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Demographically Eastpointe is on its way to becoming East Detroit. Look at the high school demographics in the link I provided. There is a mass flight of whites from the school as the black student enrollment has increased. This will increase residential white flight from the city the vast majority of the buyers, for the sellers, will be black and the cities demographics will transition like Southfield's did over the years.
If you only realized how much you sounded like a white racist. (e.g. "The white flight from the schools is why the district is now in trouble.")

Sounds like you don't believe a black school can be a good school.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM

4,251 posts, read 2,741,466 times
Quote:
If you only realized how much you sounded like a white racist. (e.g. "The white flight from the schools is why the district is now in trouble.")

What I might "sound like" is never a deterent to speaking my mind. I am just a cause and effect type of guy. I believe actions produce reactions and the evolution of those actions and reaction explains things. The article stated that the district recieved state funding based upon the number of stundents enrolled in the district, which has been declining. When I look at the enrollment demographics over the last 5 and 10 years, there seems to b a 2 to 1 inverse relationship ratio between WT decrease and AA increase. In other words, for every 1 AA increase (the high school in this study) there is a decrease of 2 WT. Hence, the funding shortfall is due to a student enrollment shortfall that is the result in the decline of WT students.

I am not making a statement of superiority or inferiority. I am just noting that this is a repeated pattern for the area and represents the same type of pattern that resulted in Detroit becoming 85% AA and Southfield 70% AA.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,841,626 times
EDPS adopting SOC is a joke, they can't even attract the kids living in the district. Many of the children residing in the district actually attend schools in St. Clair Shores and other county schools. Residency in the district has historically been a problem. I've always heard (and I know a LOT of people who went through the district and/or live in the city) that the schools have been full of Detroiters and pretty much always have. Look at the bus stops on Gratiot after school. Nobody cared until the Detroit kids got into fights and lowered test scores. (In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I saw some boys throwing punches at each other at 9 and Tuscany after school.)

They're not going to attract many out of district pupils, if any. There are so many better options.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,482,919 times
The biggest problem with Detroit schools is that 70 percent of the kids drop out before graduation. I'm sure the schools are not the best and in some are downright bad, but that is no excuse for the appalling lack of parenting/degraded culture/whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, my brother's girlfriend moved a lot growing up and she liked going to 'bad' schools because she easily was the smartest one in class. All she had to do was finish her homework and pay attention and she got all As. Then when she moved and was in a tougher/'better' school district, she had to struggle just to keep up.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

385 posts, read 401,248 times
Quote:

Nichols Elementary-Middle School - Detroit Public Schools

Nick school in Detroit was a Blue Ribbon in 09. Black schools can make it as you pointed out. Heres the bad side to schools of choice tho. They get flooded with good parents with bad kids, who think the good powder will rub off on their kids...
So people are scared to move to nice places in Detroit like Indian Village, where Nick school is because any kids can go to their school. Its not even about separation of race, its more separation of class. I dont want my kids going to school with some dirty, white, brown, black, green kid with lice and yells back the teacher. You get what you pay for, and if I pay 10k in property tax, I want my kids going to school with other people who pay 10k in property tax and care what happens to their kids and are the reason the school is a blue ribbon and not just jumping in at the last minute to take advantage.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 PM

1,765 posts, read 960,609 times
I'd just like to pop in to let @Retroit and @IndenturedServant know that I always enjoy reading both of your posts! Always educational and enlightening!

Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM

298 posts, read 360,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I'd just like to pop in to let @Retroit and @IndenturedServant know that I always enjoy reading both of your posts! Always educational and enlightening!

Thanks

I'll second that!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,417,248 times
um where is East Detroit?......I could have sworn they changed their name years ago. So what they don't want Detroit children in their schools, who cares. This is why the people of Detroit will eventually fail themselves. Too worried about why the suburbs won't accept them smh.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM

530 posts, read 939,243 times
DL,

I don't think they're "Too worried about why the suburbs won't accept them" as opposed to "we can't function without consuming the neighboring communities."

Detroit has cannibalized itself and now must reach further out into the surrounding lands for resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit