Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM

79 posts, read 370,042 times

Advertisements

Okay, this question isn't meant to make anyone feel angry, rather to let out your feelings about what makes you proud of Detroit.

I'm not very pleased with the way the city is run, and from reading a little about it's history, I can see that since the 60s it's all been downhill. I've never been a resident of the actual city of Detroit, but I drive through it nearly every day. It's despicable to say the least. There's rotting garbage piled up on so many many many many streets... there are innumerable abandoned homes.. the city has horrible infrastructure.. not to mention lackadaisical public/emergency services and response units. Once I had the misfortune of having someone slam into me while driving in Detroit. My car was completely smashed from the side and therefore it was immobile. The cops came in about two hours. If this was Dearborn, the police would have been there almost instantly. I know that Detroit is a much larger city than Dearborn, but that doesn't negate the fact that it's poorly run. Okay so if the leadership is pitiful, the neighborhoods are deplorable, the safety is nearly non-existent, what are some of the benefits? I'm not a racist, rather a realist. It is incredibly evident, that the city was NOT in this shape prior to white flight. And again, I'm not white, so I'm not here to incite racism. Of course even if I *was* white, that doesn't change the statistics or history of the city; and the race card would be unwarranted if played. Just want to hear intelligent responses.

Last edited by virgokid1; 09-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Clarifying something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,430 times
Hmmmmmmmmmm, something to think about...

1. Vernors ginger ale, the best ginger ale on the planet, is not the same since it was sold -- have you noticed that the gnome is NOT on the bottles anymore?
2. Sanders ice cream, and when you combine it with Vernors ginger ale you get a Boston Cooler -- invented HERE, not in Boston.
3. Belle Isle.
4. The ORIGINAL Gold Cup races.
5. Johnny Weismuller practicing for the Olympics in the pool at the Detroit Boat Club.
6. Emily Gail, with her pigtails and "Say nice things about Detroit" campaign.
7. THE motor capital of the world.
8. The Grand Prix being held downtown where the sounds would reverberate off the buildings -- AWESOME!
9. Canada just a step across the Detroit River.
10. Indian Village, Boston-Edison district, Palmer Woods where some of the most beautiful homes can be found.

That's all I can think of right now.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
Why are people so proud of Detroit?
Because it's less depressing than the alternative.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 AM

106 posts, read 414,389 times
Being proud of Detroit is much easier than recognizing that it's a complete mess and doing anything to fix it.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM

98 posts, read 480,836 times
I'm proud of Detroit because this city has given so much to the world. Can you really imagine a world without Detroit....no automobile industry, the sound of Motown, techno and many more. I will always be proud of the D no matter where i may be...Detroit will always be in my heart.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM

144 posts, read 546,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, something to think about...

1. Vernors ginger ale, the best ginger ale on the planet, is not the same since it was sold -- have you noticed that the gnome is NOT on the bottles anymore
2. Sanders ice cream, and when you combine it with Vernors ginger ale you get a Boston Cooler -- invented HERE, not in Boston.
3. Belle Isle.
4. The ORIGINAL Gold Cup races.
5. Johnny Weismuller practicing for the Olympics in the pool at the Detroit Boat Club.
6. Emily Gail, with her pigtails and "Say nice things about Detroit" campaign.
7. THE motor capital of the world.
8. The Grand Prix being held downtown where the sounds would reverberate off the buildings -- AWESOME!
9. Canada just a step across the Detroit River.
10. Indian Village, Boston-Edison district, Palmer Woods where some of the most beautiful homes can be found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
I'm proud of Detroit because this city has given so much to the world. Can you really imagine a world without Detroit....no automobile industry, the sound of Motown, techno and many more. I will always be proud of the D no matter where i may be...Detroit will always be in my heart.
Automobile Industry? Not much to be proud of there..... And there won't be much of that industry left soon.

Motown? Even Barry Gordon packed up and left Detroit.

Vernors? Gone.

Sanders? Still in Michigan, but not in Detroit. (And is now owned by Morley)

Belle Isle? Zoo closed 2002, Detroit Boat Club closed, building abandoned and rotting, Historic Riding Stables rotting, not many activities go on. And I don't think you'd want to walk there alone.

The ORIGINAL Gold Cup races - okay I'll give you this one .

Johnny Weismuller practicing for the Olympics in the pool at the Detroit Boat Club. - The swimming pool is filled with stagnant rain water with barely a visible reminder of it's racing lanes.

Emily Gail, with her pigtails and "Say nice things about Detroit" campaign. - Emily "Say nice things about Detroit" Gail, moved to Hawaii.

THE motor capital of the world. - A long time ago maybe but not anymore. Just ask all those unemployed auto workers what they think of our motor capital.

The Grand Prix being held downtown where the sounds would reverberate off the buildings -- AWESOME! - With the admission price starting at $30 for an adult I'll assume their isn't a whole lot of "Detroiters" watching this race.

Canada just a step across the Detroit River. - And that makes you proud of Detroit, because?

Indian Village, Boston-Edison district, Palmer Woods where some of the most beautiful homes can be found. - This is one thing I absolutely agree with you about. However, the neighbourhoods are all surround by the rest of the decaying city.

Can't see where these things would be a source of pride when nearly all of them are by gone. And we certainly have nothing to be proud of in some of the important things that make a city great... Good schools? No. Good police Department? No. Clean streets? No. Safe neighborhoods? No. Low crime? No.

We can be proud of our history, but how can you be proud of Detroit as it is today?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:19 PM

MichiganIrish:

The question was "why are people so proud of Detroit?" I chose to look at the HISTORY of Detroit and what it WAS. I agree that what is is no longer what was.

I, myself, am one of the ones leaving the state soon, alas with a heavy heart. I remember the great exodus of the early 80's and I stuck it out then, but I just can't right now.

I'm STILL proud of Vernors, the Detroit Boat Club (former member, so I know first hand the circumstances of the club leaving the island), and Sanders.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
Automobile Industry? Not much to be proud of there..... And there won't be much of that industry left soon.
You ever see where Henry Ford is buried??? Joy Road and Greenfield in Detroit....an area where I wouldn't be caught unarmed at night. He even has ghetto grates over his grave and that of his wife so it will be harder to steal his gold fillings. The guy who pretty much made Detroit in the 20th century is buried right in the ghetto, in a zip code that has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/NormanYan007/fordgrav.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Motown? Even Barry Gordon packed up and left Detroit.
Who's Berry Gordon?

Quote:
The Grand Prix being held downtown where the sounds would reverberate off the buildings -- AWESOME! - With the admission price starting at $30 for an adult I'll assume their isn't a whole lot of "Detroiters" watching this race.
I believe the Grand Prix is on Belle Isle Now.

One thing you forgot to mention that I still like is the Jazz festival, Baker's, and a couple other historic jazz places.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Grand Prix

I know the Grand Prix is held on Belle Isle now. I liked it better when it was downtown. Just my personal opinion.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
I'm proud of Detroit because it put the world on wheels and gave people the car-culture that's evolved into so many niches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit