Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM

20,849 posts, read 19,322,755 times

Advertisements

Well said, one is lonely! Not just because you are defending my home town, but because we often hear such high praises for a few exclusive areas and a general condemnation of the vast majority of the area. Yes, if a person is very rich and they are moving to the area, they should consider Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe Shores, but let's be realistic...how many people can afford that? The reality is that cities like Eastpointe are affordable and safe for middle-income people that make up the overwhelming majority of the metropolitan population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 PM

231 posts, read 391,731 times
I agree. There's no doubt that Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe Shores are very nice areas, but they're not without flaws, and the other "lesser" cities still have quite a bit to offer.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 PM

181 posts, read 295,814 times
Did the OP really say that Royal Oak's downtown was more upscale than Birmingham's? I lived in RO for 2 years and loved it, and the downtown is indeed lively and nice. But MORE UPSCALE than Birmingham? Please!!

We moved from CA to the Detroit Metro and lived there for 4 years. To us, the most upscale burbs seemed to be a toss up between Birmingham and Grosse Pointe.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well said, one is lonely! Not just because you are defending my home town, but because we often hear such high praises for a few exclusive areas and a general condemnation of the vast majority of the area. Yes, if a person is very rich and they are moving to the area, they should consider Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe Shores, but let's be realistic...how many people can afford that? The reality is that cities like Eastpointe are affordable and safe for middle-income people that make up the overwhelming majority of the metropolitan population.
you're not free of this from yourself. of course you get upset when people bash eastpointe (and i'll defend it when it's usual bull**** like i defended the other suburbs) but you waste no time in bashing detroit. a place i live. now you get a little taste of what's it like having people pass their usual uniformed judgement.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
you're not free of this from yourself. of course you get upset when people bash eastpointe (and i'll defend it when it's usual bull**** like i defended the other suburbs) but you waste no time in bashing detroit. a place i live. now you get a little taste of what's it like having people pass their usual uniformed judgement.
I think I've made a distinction in "bashing" certain areas of Detroit while at the same time pointing out that there are also nice areas. I would be honored to live in Indian Village, Palmer Woods, etc. There are also many houses in Eastpointe that I wouldn't want to live in. If a rich person from Bloomfield Hills thinks that Eastpointe is a dump, they are certainly justified in feeling so. But considering that most people are middle income and can neither afford Bloomfield Hills nor can only afford a $2000 house in Detroit, I think that the 90% of the suburbs which fall in the mid-range of housing prices are the only realistic option.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,841 times
Smile Go a little farther...to A2

Hi Everyone -
Just joined the city-data forums; hope to participate as much as possible when I can. So will start slowly. Have really enjoyed the threads I've read so far.

With that said. For this thread. My advice...some how get to I94W and keep going until you hit Ann Arbor. Then stop anywhere and it will be the perfect place to be. I understand it isn't technically "metro". But some of the other locales take significantly longer to get to, especially at rush hour.

Btw. I grew up in Detroit and Toledo, OH (more on these later, when appropriate for the thread). Not a great resume but has improved dramatically since I left both in the rear view mirror.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I think I've made a distinction in "bashing" certain areas of Detroit while at the same time pointing out that there are also nice areas. I would be honored to live in Indian Village, Palmer Woods, etc. There are also many houses in Eastpointe that I wouldn't want to live in. If a rich person from Bloomfield Hills thinks that Eastpointe is a dump, they are certainly justified in feeling so. But considering that most people are middle income and can neither afford Bloomfield Hills nor can only afford a $2000 house in Detroit, I think that the 90% of the suburbs which fall in the mid-range of housing prices are the only realistic option.
what about other areas that aren't as exclusive as indian village etc? I'm not talking about what you'd wanna move to but when you blanket it as ghetto, crime ridden, etc that's bashing in the same vain they're doing to east detroit

Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
what about other areas that aren't as exclusive as indian village etc? I'm not talking about what you'd wanna move to but when you blanket it as ghetto, crime ridden, etc that's bashing in the same vain they're doing to east detroit
Provide me an area and I'll tell you what I think. I think the following areas are decent:

The areas around Palmer Woods: Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, University District, Bagley, etc. (But definitely not including the areas east of Woodward.)
The areas just south of Eastpointe down to State Fair Street.
East English Village and the areas near St. John Hospital.
Corktown and surrounding areas.
Downtown, Midtown.
Boston-Edison, Alden Park, Virginia Park.
Some of the areas between Jefferson and the river: Harbortown, Victoria Park, Marina District, Joseph Barry.
Virginia Park, although surrounded by pretty bad areas
Herman Gardens, although largely unfinished.
Rosedale Park.

But still, all these areas make up a small portion of Detroit (maybe 10-20%) and they are mostly surrounded by unpleasant or downright awful areas. Some of them only consist of one or a few streets of either historic homes or new construction. I'm sorry but a street that has a few burnt out homes, several abandoned and heavily vandalized homes, several vacant lots, and one little old lady that plants flowers isn't a nice place for people to live.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Provide me an area and I'll tell you what I think. I think the following areas are decent:

The areas around Palmer Woods: Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, University District, Bagley, etc. (But definitely not including the areas east of Woodward.)
The areas just south of Eastpointe down to State Fair Street.
East English Village and the areas near St. John Hospital.
Corktown and surrounding areas.
Downtown, Midtown.
Boston-Edison, Alden Park, Virginia Park.
Some of the areas between Jefferson and the river: Harbortown, Victoria Park, Marina District, Joseph Barry.
Virginia Park, although surrounded by pretty bad areas
Herman Gardens, although largely unfinished.
Rosedale Park.

But still, all these areas make up a small portion of Detroit (maybe 10-20%) and they are mostly surrounded by unpleasant or downright awful areas. Some of them only consist of one or a few streets of either historic homes or new construction. I'm sorry but a street that has a few burnt out homes, several abandoned and heavily vandalized homes, several vacant lots, and one little old lady that plants flowers isn't a nice place for people to live.
that's all mkrajenke did. she went about listing what areas of the metro she felt were good and bad. yours ended up being bad as did mine.

my neighborhood isn't on your good list either. so what do you think of morningside? what do you think about 7 mile near pershing high? how about the north end? all places i lived and while not very pretty, they still have blocks or half blocks of maintained housing.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM

91 posts, read 154,550 times
Best and worst are subjective value measurements. Most people agree crime = bad. Increasing Value = Good. However, we as individual vary in how we value the various components of property value. Fortunately, the is an accurate way to measure the societal value of property. It is called price. While you may disagree about the "value" of a historic neighborhood or of living in a diverse community or having a long commute, there exists an equilibrium assessment of whether your comparative assessment reflects reality- What will the propertywill sell for. Any discussion of say, why Detroit property is undervalued, is really discussing how your values differ from the Norm. Its fine to try and convert others to your value system, but arguing about subjective values generally isnt a good way to convert someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit