U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM

26 posts, read 24,329 times
Default $100 million MSU initiative for Urban Farming in Detroit

Michigan State proposes 100-acre, $100-million urban-farming research center in Detroit
Michigan State proposes 100-acre, $100-million urban-farming research center in Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Thought would share this with you all and hear your comments on it. Seems like this can change quite a bit in Detroit, which it really needs.. what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM

15,820 posts, read 29,850,172 times
I thnk it is a dream ad more sensationalization. They have no plans to spend $100 million, but plan to start small, and seem unlikely to start at all. It is a trendy jump on the bandwagon move, and the trendy focus will likely change long before this gets off the ground.

It appears to be meeting with the typical Detroit response to outside help. "If it is not entirely and exclusively in the control of Black people, we do not want it. You are trying to take over OUR city"

How dare they try to bring in a bunch of white people and grow food for Detroit residents. Thats awful.

If it ever gets off the ground, it certainly could be good for the city. Even on a small scale, it cannot hurt to have some use for the empty lots. Of course being a public university, I am not sure they pay taxes. If not, it may eventaully become a detriment to the City.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,213,979 times
Turning the city into farm land while at the same time turning farm land into city does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM

5,425 posts, read 2,419,640 times
In case some newbies don't know, this is what MSU does.
Hatch Act of 1887 laid foundation for AgBioResearch Centers*| College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Here is a large experimental farm near Fennville, loved by deer and other critters. Zoomable if anybody's interested.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM

2,688 posts, read 2,757,465 times
Just more evidence that trying to accomplish anything in Detroit is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM

720 posts, read 928,326 times
I think its awesome. I also don't see it as some fad that will pass. People are already doing this in Detroit. I also think its much better to teach people how to grow their own food rather than just give them food (processed garbage that makes you sick). Its a positive thing and I can't fathom why anyone would complain or see something negative in it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM

5,425 posts, read 2,419,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
I think its awesome. I also don't see it as some fad that will pass. People are already doing this in Detroit. I also think its much better to teach people how to grow their own food rather than just give them food (processed garbage that makes you sick). Its a positive thing and I can't fathom why anyone would complain or see something negative in it.
Any normal, forward-thinking person would agree - welcome to the Detroit forums.
I think it's good for our universities to contribute to the region and get involved in the city's technological future - but as you see, others don't think so.
The "vertical agriculture" (multi-story farms), cited in this article and in a previous thread, may be the wave of the future.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-30-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM

15,820 posts, read 29,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
Because they see it as someone else's plan being foisted on them by outsiders.

It appears that some people would rather fail on their own than succeed with help.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM

26 posts, read 24,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Because they see it as someone else's plan being foisted on them by outsiders.

It appears that some people would rather fail on their own than succeed with help.
Does that mean they would rather live in the deplorable condition they have been for awhile now but would not welcome any good plan? To me, this is an excellent plan, to keep things moving in addition to the basic need of providing fresh food to the locals. I do not see any flaw in this plan...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM

1,137 posts, read 977,236 times
This plan should only be supported if the land reverts back to the City once the farm fails. Otherwise, I see this as nothing more than a plot by investors to scoop up acres of land on the cheap with the hopes of flipping it within the next 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit