Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
In other words "Don't look like a fool with your pants on the ground".

Old comment, but couldn't resist!

If Black kids can't wear their pants like that, then everyone else of all races should be told the same thing. People of other ethnicities do that too.

Another thing to think about is this: "dressing normally" won't protect a person from being perceived as bad or being treated unfairly. I speak from personal experience. I don't wear my pants down to the ground. It doesn't mean I won't be perceived as a trouble maker or a danger. I have read about this. It is done in studies. There are many people in the USA who have racial bias and will perceive an African-American far differently from a White person. There is such thing as "enlightened exceptionalism", which means, a person will have a negative view of African-Americans as a whole, but persons like Obama, Cosby, and Sidney Poitier get treated better as an exception. Alot of people who voted for Obama had negative views of African-Americans as a whole, but saw Obama as "different".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,976,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If Black kids can't wear their pants like that, then everyone else of all races should be told the same thing. People of other ethnicities do that too.
I'd be more than happy to say they look like fools too, regardless of color. Don't make it so black/white.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdataman View Post
This is why in planning to move to the Detroit area I would much rather be living in an ethnically diverse community rather than say live completely amongst "my own people". As I get married and have kids I want my kids to be aware of and knowledgeable of other cultures as well as their own. Want them to understand that despite someone speaking a different language, looking different, dressing different or eating different food their are also numerous similarities and common ground is always there.
This might be more easily done in a different city - like anywhere on the West Coast or East Coast.

Detroit is largely black in the city and white in the suburbs. One of the least 'diverse' cities.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

332 posts, read 641,740 times
Naw I disagree. Salad Bowl is a perfect description of the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_bowl_(cultural_idea)

The salad bowl concept suggests that the integration of the many different cultures of United States residents combine like a salad, as opposed to the more prolific notion of a cultural melting pot. In Canada this concept is more commonly known as the cultural mosaic. In the salad bowl model, various American cultures are juxtaposed — like salad ingredients — but do not merge together into a single homogeneous culture. Each culture keeps its own distinct qualities. This idea proposes a society of many individual, "pure" cultures, and the term has become more politically correct than melting pot, since the latter suggests that ethnic groups may be unable to preserve their cultures. The salad bowl has been accused of being a communitarianist model, while supporters of it speak of multiculturalism.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM

92,017 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
Naw I disagree. Salad Bowl is a perfect description of the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_bowl_(cultural_idea)

The salad bowl concept suggests that the integration of the many different cultures of United States residents combine like a salad, as opposed to the more prolific notion of a cultural melting pot. In Canada this concept is more commonly known as the cultural mosaic. In the salad bowl model, various American cultures are juxtaposed — like salad ingredients — but do not merge together into a single homogeneous culture. Each culture keeps its own distinct qualities. This idea proposes a society of many individual, "pure" cultures, and the term has become more politically correct than melting pot, since the latter suggests that ethnic groups may be unable to preserve their cultures. The salad bowl has been accused of being a communitarianist model, while supporters of it speak of multiculturalism.
Umm, what do you think pluralism is? Even in the article you posted, it says to see among other thing pluralism. Keep in mind that it isn't necessarily strict even if the labels in this society are.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM

26 posts, read 80,969 times
Default Comfy Clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Or even more specifically, dress clean. There are plenty of people wearing sneakers and workout clothes b/c...they're working out by walking around the mall. There ARE the young 'uns with staples in their face and raggedy jeans, but that's more a fashion statment, me thinks, not a reflection of their state in life. If you are heading for some power shopping at places like Needless Markup (aka Neiman Marcus), then it's usually prudent to dress in your Sunday best. Heck, I went to Nordstrom's to drop $100+ on a pair of dress shoes and the salesman would hardly look at me b/c I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but I think you'll get that an most places (NoCal being the prominent exception as that guy in jeans might be a googleaire!).
Yeah, I may be moving to Michigan soon from California... and around here all us engineers wear jeans! One of the drastic changes in environment for a job trasfer would be dress up clothes Mon-Thrus in MI. I'm not used to that at all! I think I'm going to do some shopping... but I don't want to feel like I need to dress up all the time. Some of the very well off people around NorCal are humble and comfy all day. *sigh* Maybe I'm not ready to move! Hahahaha.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM

67 posts, read 148,194 times
You can't be serious. Somerset is in one of the safest and most populous areas of Metro. There are people in full cultural dress whether it be a burka or sari.. or a turban for crying out loud shopping day and night..

Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdataman View Post
To be honest, what you are describing here is America as a whole.

I to have live many places in the US as well as in Toronto (which is a very culturally and ethnically diverse city - not that this makes Toronto perfect but it helps some) and my observation is that America, despite the supposed success of the Civil Rights movement, is still a very segregated society. The blacks live here, the whites live there, the Arabs live here, the Latin Americans live there, etc.

It is understandable for people to live with whom they identify but this has created a level of ignorance within each group towards and the other groups. I had a basketball scholarship as a kid and was given the opportunity to go to school amongst numerous people of different ethnicity and I noticed the various stereotypes that each held for the other. I firmly believe that this is because "back home" they were not exposed to these different cultures and were taught great misconceptions.

However, after a number of years interacting with these other cultures because it was a must due to school I noticed the attitude adjustment towards each other and many became life long friends!

This is why in planning to move to the Detroit area I would much rather be living in an ethnically diverse community rather than say live completely amongst "my own people". As I get married and have kids I want my kids to be aware of and knowledgeable of other cultures as well as their own. Want them to understand that despite someone speaking a different language, looking different, dressing different or eating different food their are also numerous similarities and common ground is always there.

I think it is counter productive and a recipe for failure for one to grow up in fear of on ignorant to other people.

I think Detroit presents a great opportunity it can't stay as it is it has to improve
Your post explains why I prefer to live in an integrated area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit