U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,447,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If 55% of 72.4% of the population can vote for a black person, then couldn't 55% of 80-90% of the population vote for a black person?
lol what the **** are you talking about

55% voted AGAINST obama amongst whites (60+%)

33% voted against obama amongst latino whites. See the big difference
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 AM

5,860 posts, read 4,426,756 times
Okay, I admit, I misread your post. But I still disagree with you that white voters are as racist as blacks. 55% of whites may have voted against a black candidate, but nearly 100% of blacks voted against a white candidate. That tells me that it is much more likely for a black person to be elected in a 80-90% white area than a white person to be elected in a 80-90% black area (Detroit is 85% black).

Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Okay, I admit, I misread your post. But I still disagree with you that white voters are as racist as blacks. 55% of whites may have voted against a black candidate, but nearly 100% of blacks voted against a white candidate. That tells me that it is much more likely for a black person to be elected in a 80-90% white area than a white person to be elected in a 80-90% black area (Detroit is 85% black).
I'm not gonna go in tit for tat who votes identity more but I'm gonna add several points:

Obama was the first black president. Of course blacks are gonna be more enthusiastic about him. Whites had white president after white president so they're gonna be less enthusiastic about any random white candidate.

Blacks are a minority in this country and need to band together far more than whites otherwise they're going to be trampled. In black majority areas (like detroit) this isn't necessarily the case. Like the guy said above, gary elected a white mayor.

Blacks vote majority democrat. In fact 90+% even when the candidate is white.

You're forgetting the appeal of obama at the beginning. Let's say white latinos are the best measure for how appealing of a candidate he was (they have least cause to vote based on race since neither mccain nor obama are latino or good for latino) then obama's probably true "colorblind" appeal is about 60-70%. So yeah, blacks were more likely to vote for him due to his race(to 90+%) and whites were less likely for the same reason (40+%).

And while this got really nothing to do with what I'm saying, a lot of whites who voted for him voted race as well. It's like the white girl who seeks out a black guy to **** just to prove she isn't racist and with it, that's what a lot of young white people did in that election.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM

36,056 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What about the white suburbs? Detroit will have a white mayor when the white suburbs reciprocate.
Will it? Why wait? Why does the city need to "win" such a silly game of "Blink?" And I'm not sure you understand what "reciprocate" means.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Will it? Why wait? Why does the city need to "win" such a silly game of "Blink?" And I'm not sure you understand what "reciprocate" means.
It was, what do you fancy white people call it, a rhetorical question.

Detroit will never have a white mayor like livonia will never have a black mayor

Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,359,798 times
Quote:

You're looking at the wrong numbers. How about looking at white Democrats that didn't vote for Obama? Maybe you can find some race issues there. White Republicans voted for McCain, not because he was white but because they don't vote Democrat.

Latinos are more likely to vote Democrat, as are blacks. Its not only about the race, even though you make it seem like it is. This type of thinking is the cause of most race problems in the US.

For the record, I am a white conservative, but voted for Obama over McCain. But I sure won't be this election, and its not because he's black.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,359,798 times
Quote:

So how many black people voted against McCain? I'm willing to bet 98% or so. Which group would you consider more racist?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
So how many black people voted against McCain? I'm willing to bet 98% or so. Which group would you consider more racist?
Yeah, read post 33 if you wanna recycle the same ****

I'm just going to keep you whites honest. You wanna wag your finger at us detroiters, be ready for me to wag my finger back at you

Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,027,306 times
In the Democrat primary, Sheila Jackson Lee originally supported Hillary Clinton over Obama, and there were a few Blacks who were pro-Clinton. Only when Clinton dropped out did they begin to back Obama.

Quote:
Blacks vote majority democrat. In fact 90+% even when the candidate is white.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM

339 posts, read 329,433 times
Obama could have been pink, and he would have won.

The lack of real political leadership in the country is so serious, that even without having done much, Obama will most likely be re-elected.

People aren't voting Black or White.

They're voting anti-whoever the latest lousy option may be.

(White) America just can't seem to produce decent leadership any more.

After Palin and Bachmann,
Obama seems to be wiser and shrewder than Bismarck.

And he doesn't have to do anything.
Just lets all his rivals make fools of themselves.

It's like a bad circus. With a whole bunch of pathetic clowns and actors pretending to be politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit