Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 AM

27 posts, read 135,410 times

Advertisements

In few words, let every one says what he likes/doesn't like in Detroit life.

For example :
Jobs, people...
Wheather, Tax, transport stress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,454 times
Transportation:
Good highway system with relatively little traffic for a major metro area. IMHO, the airport is also better than one would expect - quite easy to fly non-stop to major cities around the world thanks to Northwest's hub.

Non-existent mass transit system largely due to no tax support at the local or state level. It would be quite feasible for a commuter train to run down existing tracks once again from Pontiac down to the city, and then on to Ann Arbor, connecting the metro area geographically, politically, spiritually, etc.

Shopping:
I think this is an overlooked aspect of metro Detroit. Downtown shopping at numerous towns (Birmingham, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Ann Arbor, etc.) is quite good and the Somerset Collection is one of the best malls, period, in the nation.

Unfortunately, shopping in the city of Detroit itself is pretty much dead and its sad to see longtime institutions either gone (Hudsons) or limping along (Eastern Market).

Culture:
The situation with museums in metro Detroit is similar to its shopping - they rank among the top in the nation even though the city no longer does in size and importance.

Downside is I'm not sure how long this will last, though the DIA's recent expansion should guarantee its status for another generation.

Sports:
Great sports town with very good facilities.

Like anywhere else in the country, it's getting too expensive to take family to events!

Education:
Great school districts in the suburbs and great universities

Detroit school district is abysmal and the public universities without large endowments (Wayne State, Oakland, etc.) are getting neglected in the current economic enviroment - we give more money to prisons than we do to public universities!

Natural and Manmade Beauty:
Belle Isle is beautiful as are many parts of downtown and midtown. There are great parks and little enclaves in the burbs like Franklin, Cranbrook, etc. which are very close.

Some of these parks and neighborhoods have seen better upkeep and days, especially in the city

Restaurants:
Great selection of non-chain, mid-priced restaurants with a sprinkling of upscale ones for special occasions

It's still not very convenient to fill out an entire day in the city with sight-seeing, eating, shopping, etc. though the restaurant scene has a pulse unlike shopping.

Proximity to Canada/Toronto, northern MI, Chicago, Great Lakes, etc.

Due to its decline, I think Detroit now suffers from the too-close-to-Chicago obscurity that places like Indy, St. Louis, and Milwaukee feel.

Weather:
Very mild for the northern Midwest with four seasons

Regardless, it's the Midwest and you get snow, which is bad if it's not your thing

People:
Majority are very courteous and not too intense (NYC) or too laid back (CA).

There are a significant number of outlyers in society who are more ignorant at the extremes than many places in the country. You also have a history of racial tensions.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM

245 posts, read 881,219 times
me likey - culture and my job, my family
me don't likey - hey what do you know...its the same list

I am so outta here

Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM

24 posts, read 124,559 times
Auto Insurance - for the price of a small used car you can insure your automobile for about a year.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,339 times
In the suburbs, a carjacker threatens you and takes your car if you don't resist. In Detroit, Hamramck or Highland Park, on the other hand......

Quote:
Fiancée killed in carjacking
Taylor man proposed only 2 days before
September 27, 2007

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

After nine months of dating, Linc Bullard knew Amanda Brown was the one.

So last Thursday, while the couple sat chatting in Brown's home in Taylor after a fun-filled evening at a concert, Bullard made the declaration.
Moderator cut: do not reposts copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 04:43 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,453 times
blight, poverty, Detroit politicians, transit system, house and auto insurance, pollution, abandoned factories...
downtown, close access to Canada, people, weather, highways..

Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Positives: big, nice-looking, inexpensive homes with lots of available parking
Negatives: unbelievable wastes of land all over the metro area.
Side-note: What is the fascination with grass?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,339 times
Quote:
Side-note: What is the fascination with grass?

It makes you feel better for a while, it's relaxing, makes Santana sound even better, not to mention it inspires jazz musicians without killing them, not addicting like cocaine or heroin, and it doesn't really give you a hangover. What's not to like?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM

156 posts, read 562,560 times
Default Agree with Blue Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
blight, poverty, Detroit politicians, transit system, house and auto insurance, pollution, abandoned factories...
downtown, close access to Canada, people, weather, highways..
Louis XIV, for what it's worth I agree with Blue Grass Fever. I hope the information you've found here has been helpful and good luck with your transition.
By the way, I warn you that I have neither seen nor heard of a single good, authentic French restaurant in the entire Metro area, in spite of this place being discovered (after the native Americans) by a Frenchman. People will argue otherwise, but I am not talking about quiche and mousse. I mean real French food like duck confit, pigeon, foie gras on brioche points, jivier (probably spelled that incorrectly) in delectable but not too sweet sauces, more than three courses plus cheese (like pont l'eveque) and dessert (like fondant chocolat!) in the same meal, all in small enough portions that you can actually finish it all (but also be full).

Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

45 posts, read 189,250 times
Im sorry for that death, truely am. Murders happen everywhere, all the time. Hamtramck so far is the best place that ive lived. So many different kinds of people, the bakeries...........miss that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit