Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM

632 posts, read 1,068,254 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Grew up in the Metro-Detroit area. Family lives up in Oakland Township. I lived with them for a while, then in Rochester, then Auburn Hills, then downtown Detroit for a bit, then Royal Oak.

I moved to Pittsburgh about a year ago, and its time to bring the girlfriend home to see the family and the city for the first time. I know what I want to show her all around the area, etc. Thats not an issue...

Issue is where the heck we're staying! Parents turned my old room/guest room into a man-cave and office, so there's no room there. Would ask a friend to stay in a guest room but thats tacky.

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced and nice hotel in the city/suburbs (heading north from the city, towards Oakland preferably) to stay at? Want to stay downtown at least one night with her, etc.

I never realized how hard it would be to pick a place to stay in my own hometown...haha.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,926,644 times
If I were looking for nice places to stay up that way, I'd consider one of the following:

1) Royal Park Hotel - downtown Rochester The Royal Park Hotel - Detroit Area Luxury Hotel - Rochester Michigan
This place is really nice, although could be a bit pricy. I think the cheapest you can there is around $160-$180 a night. Too bad that downtown Rochester is torn-up with street repairs, but you can still get to all the parks, restaurants, and shops.

2) Marriott - Auburn Hills / Centerpoint - its off of Square Lake / Opdyke, west of I-75. A pretty nice hotel, like most Marriotts. Similar to the Troy Marriott, but a little closer to Oakland Twp. I think rooms there run about $110-$120 a night.

Beyond those two, you are looking mostly at run-of-the-mill chain hotels like Fairfield Inns, Courtyard, etc clustered off I-75 around University Drive. If you're looking for under $100/night, thats what you'll be looking at.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,260,410 times
On a Friday/Saturday night - you can get a room at the Westin Book Cadillac for about $100, as there are no business travelers. Definitely do that.

Marriott Centerpoint is decent - but in a dead zone (i.e. no activity) location. I'd go with the Troy Marriott - you can take her to Somerset and the bars along Big Beaver and its a block off 75. One again - the 100-120 range as noted.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,858,304 times
Ill try to help out the best I can since I don't usually look for hotels in the Detroit area. But I know there are quite a few around the bigger malls or shopping districts in the area, some near downtown and near the airport. You could probably find quite a few off of the freeways but you may not want to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit