Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM

133 posts, read 229,658 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male living in Farmington Hills. I have only lived here since January. It has been harder to meet new people than I orginally thought. Plus, I worked as a Financial Consultant and was out of town Sunday-Friday. Where are good places to meet young single girls around the same age range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Downtown Royal Oak and (to a lesser extent) Downtown Plymouth.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Downtown Royal Oak and (to a lesser extent) Downtown Plymouth.
Any places in particular? Thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Also: Downtown Detroit. Midtown Detroit. Hamtrammack. Wyandotte. Ann Arbor. Novi or Troy (at the malls).

I cannot help with the names of places. To me it is "the place with the metal buffalo out front," or "that place next door to where the Saloon used to be." or "The place where the bar is upstairs on a corner in downtown Royal Oak just as you come into town."

Do not just go into downtown, or even midtown without knowing where you are going. Going to the wrong place or getting lost can be risky. Midtown is very safe. Downtown is fairly safe. But wnader out in the wrong direciton and you could find yourslef less safe in a hurry. If you know where you are going, you should be fine.

Probably someone will come along who can give you names.

Where did you come from? What are you looking for? Friends? Dates? quickies? Are you looking for Libby librarian or sleezy suzy the biker chick? What you want ot find will dictate where you want to go.

People are a little less open here than in some places. More suspicious, more reserved and cautious. It can be hard to make friends at first. People do not move around as much here as they do at the coasts. In many instances, you have to get to know the girls first, sleep with them later. Unless you are closing out the bar after the nice girls have all gone home.

If you are from Ohio, it is probably the same.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
If you're going for just bar hopping/meeting girls there/dancing - park in the parking structure in downtown Royal Oak and just bar hop. Good ones include 526 Main (dueling piano bar), Mr. B's, Woody's, Black Finn, O'Tooles, Fifth Avenue and the Rock.

Detroit tends to have more targeted ways to meet girls with a better ROI. Check out some specific date only events more likely to meet quality girls.

Tashmoo Biergarten - pop up beer garden that's really taken off (weekends in October) in Detroit: Tashmoo Biergarten ‹ Pop-up European style beer garden with Detroit sensibility

After 5 Detroit tends to have 1-2 events every night of the week. after5detroit.com :: Home

For example, in Detroit this weekend was the Tour de Detroit- Tour De Troit: Biking in the Motor City , Detroit Cornhole Championship (2,00 people) and Challenge Nation (Detroit urban scavenger hunt) - Challenge Nation - Challenge Nation - Detroit Challenge

Those are the events that are held weekly that you need to start following on websites like this one, Modeldmedia, Curbed Detroit etc for the cool weekend events. The area is so spread out there's no point driving to a Caribou at Orchard Lake and Maple waiting for Mrs. to appear. Think targeted, woo with charm.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
Any places in particular? Thanks

I've heard that Luna in Royal Oak is a lot of fun.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I've heard that Luna in Royal Oak is a lot of fun.
It's a hipster place. Expect the music to be all over the map: top 40s, hip hop, rock, punk and expect the guys to be in skinny jeans and satchels and the girls sporting fedora's.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Also: Downtown Detroit. Midtown Detroit. Hamtrammack. Wyandotte. Ann Arbor. Novi or Troy (at the malls).

I cannot help with the names of places. To me it is "the place with the metal buffalo out front," or "that place next door to where the Saloon used to be." or "The place where the bar is upstairs on a corner in downtown Royal Oak just as you come into town."

Do not just go into downtown, or even midtown without knowing where you are going. Going to the wrong place or getting lost can be risky. Midtown is very safe. Downtown is fairly safe. But wnader out in the wrong direciton and you could find yourslef less safe in a hurry. If you know where you are going, you should be fine.

Probably someone will come along who can give you names.

Where did you come from? What are you looking for? Friends? Dates? quickies? Are you looking for Libby librarian or sleezy suzy the biker chick? What you want ot find will dictate where you want to go.

People are a little less open here than in some places. More suspicious, more reserved and cautious. It can be hard to make friends at first. People do not move around as much here as they do at the coasts. In many instances, you have to get to know the girls first, sleep with them later. Unless you are closing out the bar after the nice girls have all gone home.

If you are from Ohio, it is probably the same.
I am looking to find girls to date. I usually go for the preppy girl types. Also, are there places to meet girls besides bars? I know the most common way is between people you know. But I don't work in the area, so I don't know anyone.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
I am looking to find girls to date. I usually go for the preppy girl types. Also, are there places to meet girls besides bars? I know the most common way is between people you know. But I don't work in the area, so I don't know anyone.
What i know of this I know mostly through my kids (21 y.o twins and a 17 y.o. dd), their friends and some of my younger friends/associates. They hang out at our house and I listen when they talk to or around me. I am observant and pay attention to the people around me and discuss their lives (people love to talk about themselves and it is often very interesting). However none of the people I deal with are the go out and get laid types, so all I can say for that type of search is bars. That is the only place I see that going on, but then maybe I just don't often go whever it is that usually goes on today. Gyms? Actually I hear girls frequently complaining they do not want some "creeper" approaching them when they are all gross and sweaty and trying to work out ("Come back when I am not busy and am clean and coiffed").

The liklihood of just randomly meeting someone compatible in a super loud drunken envirnment and becoming friends and possibly dating is really very very slim. (although I met my wife in a bar that is not the norm form what i have seen). Haginign out in a bar hoping some ideal girls will jsut happen to stumble by is just plain stupid imo. OK so I did it, but it is still stupid. The odds of you meeting someone decent that way are astronomical. If yu want to meet decenit nice girls you really just need to get to know people, not necessarily focused on young ladies. When you know people, they will know some young ladies and then you come with a reference. Plus they will direct you to people you may be compatible with. The more people you know, the more likely you are to get a nice introduction.

Church.

Clubs/associations.

Theater groups. Farmington Hills has a good theater group. No matter what your skills or talents you have some ability that is useful to them. They need pretty much everything. In theater you get really super close to a good sized group of people. Some shows have yearly cast reunions even five years later. I know six couples who met by being invlved in a show togther.

City Continuing ed classes. Take ballroom dancing and see who shows up. Or take photography. Or car repair, or whatever is offered that interests you.

Volunteer for charity groups. There is a great group based in Farmington hills it is a cooperative effort between churches and other charities. Their goal is to help people from beginning to end of a crises or problem. Fix their house, or get them into a house, food emplyment, etc. I cannot remember the name but it is a big group.

Christmas in April. Second Harvest or forgotten harvest (I forget which). In nearby South Lyon there is a group called Active Faith that often needs help.

Farmington Hills has service clubs. Kiwanis, rotary, lions are all good ways to meet people, although you will not find young women there, you will definitely meet their grandpas and uncles. If you are a good rotarian, kiwani, orlion they will want you to meet their niece or granddaughter.

Coach kid's soccer, rowing, baseball whatever you are good at. Those young soccer moms frequently have little sisters.

Are you a little geeky? hang out at the library. My wife (a librarian) says she sees young couples discover each other and become a couple somewhat frequently.

If you are newly 25, people graduating from college and some seniors are within your age range. Maybe you could take a class at a college. OCC is close and they have lots of night/weekend classes. Take karate, or dance, or swimming. Even take a science class or something that just interests you. I took a summer astronomy class there way back when and the people in the class ranged from college aged to a 70 year old and included plethora of mid 20s to early 30s people.

Join a biking, hiking canoing or other hobby club.

Whatever it is you like can be a means to meet people (unless you like sitting at home playing video games).

Do you know how many 20-30 year old gals are out there running around saying where are all the decent guys? How do I meet them?

Most people are in too much of a rush. The ty something three times and if it does nto lead anywhere, they say it is worthless. It really takes time. More so here than many other places i have lived. People do not accept you right off the bat, you have to prove yourself. Once they know you, they will do anyhting for you. Including helping you find friends/dates.

What they look for at leat what I hear about: Stable, employed, confident buit not arrogant, ambitious (ambition is probably the thing I hear about the most as a desireable characteristic or something lacking in a guy), a gentleman, doesn't play X-box, not gay or metro but not a brute or a cad. Not a creeper or a player (although I am not sure exactly what either of those terms mean, seems to be a broad definition). Frankly looks and fitness do not seem to be the critical issue for many young women that hang out at our house. (We seem to have an endless parade of 16-23 year olds when the girls are home - no you cannot come hang out at our house to meet girls). Looks and fitness matter, and they like to look at guys who are "hot" but it is not the first thing on their check list, maybe third or forth. And "Hot" really seems to vary. Sometimes a fat guy is "hot" or a relatively unattractive guy who is in really great shape, or someone who looks like a total dweeb to me. Some times I think they just find a reason to like any guy who is interested in them as long as he is not a "creeper" Lots and lots of guys seem to fall into the creeper category.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-18-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
My best suggestion: get a social scene. At your age, I'd rent just to pick up friends. Look out for places just to hang out with social people. In your case, make sure they have a lot of female friends. Look to rent with a couple girls, not to get with them but with their friends.

Looking back at my own life, and that of my friends, most of our longest and most substantial relationships came from our social scene. For example getting invited to a party etc

I have known few people to pick up serious relationships in a bar/club. I have known one person to get married from a dating website. Those places are great places to start though in the mean time. This Friday, just hit a club. Make sure the music is your thing and feel good. That's it, everything writes itself when you feel good.

Right now (Tuesday night) start an account on a dating website. See what's out there. For me, women have never been much of a problem (well a concern lol) but getting a stable job was/is. But I always felt better when I did something even if it was futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit