Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times

Advertisements

I can't believe all the crap written in this thread about Warren. It was started two years ago so I'm fairly certain the original poster has moved already. There is nothing wrong with northern Warren. It's most brick ranches about 1000-1400 square feet built in the 1960's. Violent crime is pretty low. (Don't forget Warren is Michigan's third largest city) Property crime is highest in the south. I can't believe someone would recommend Ferndale instead. Ferndale is higher crime but I guess since they built some little yuppy downtown section on 9 mile, it's so much better. If you really need a yuppy fix, just drive 5 minutes to Royal Oak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Don't call the police, though. They'll tell you to move. True story, more than once, and I lived pretty far north in Warren.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM

170 posts, read 496,166 times
Question please,Ten Mile&Ryan is South Warren?
Timm,you're my kind of person lol. Loved your post!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 PM

70 posts, read 293,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I can't believe all the crap written in this thread about Warren. It was started two years ago so I'm fairly certain the original poster has moved already. There is nothing wrong with northern Warren. It's most brick ranches about 1000-1400 square feet built in the 1960's. Violent crime is pretty low. (Don't forget Warren is Michigan's third largest city) Property crime is highest in the south. I can't believe someone would recommend Ferndale instead. Ferndale is higher crime but I guess since they built some little yuppy downtown section on 9 mile, it's so much better. If you really need a yuppy fix, just drive 5 minutes to Royal Oak.
Warren isn't a city at all. To have a city you must have a downtown, city center or main street. Warren has none of these. Ferndale does have a subsantive downtown and it is not new, just revitalized. People like Ferndale over Warren because of that very reason it's an actual city.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM

15 posts, read 30,867 times
Its a LUNCH BUCKET CITY. South Warren has better homes compared to the 1970's sterile tract housing subdivisions to the north and Sterling Heights. PRO's are lower cost of living, little crime, upkeep on a typical home won't break the bank. Con's very high unemployment, looks OLD OLD OLD, half the city is on welfare or social security. Warren needs a big facelift and high paying jobs.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientCoins View Post
Warren isn't a city at all. To have a city you must have a downtown, city center or main street. Warren has none of these. Ferndale does have a subsantive downtown and it is not new, just revitalized. People like Ferndale over Warren because of that very reason it's an actual city.
There is a downtown-looking area, at Chicago and Mound. It's a historical district, but it has an eight lane road going through at 50 miles per hour and has nothing to recommend, a historical district in name only. There is also a small high-rise district around 13 and Van Dyke (which even got a State of Michigan "Cool City" designation) but there is little cool about it and strains the credibility of the Cool Cities program. They did a pretty good job at 12 1/2 and Van Dyke with the fountain and the big huge city hall/library building which is a lot nicer than the dumpy city hall they used to have when I lived there. The city wanted to revitalize the 9 and Van Dyke area about 15-20 years ago but they squandered the possibility and the highlight of the redevelopment was a new McDonald's. Typical Macomb County.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientCoins View Post
To have a city you must have a downtown, city center or main street.
???? Why???? Why can't a city have businesses spread throughout the city? Why can't you have several streets that have businesses?

I'll agree that many cities do have downtowns, but I don't think that it is a "must".

Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
There is also a small high-rise district around 13 and Van Dyke
13 Mile and Van Dyke, Warren, MI - Google Maps

This? Don't make me laugh.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
Question please,Ten Mile&Ryan is South Warren?
Timm,you're my kind of person lol. Loved your post!

For what it's worth, either 11 Mile Rd (I-696) or 12 Mile Rd is the division between "north" and "south" Warren, depending on who you ask. There's a beautiful area south of 14 Mile Rd just West of Hoover.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM

170 posts, read 496,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug2011 View Post
For what it's worth, either 11 Mile Rd (I-696) or 12 Mile Rd is the division between "north" and "south" Warren, depending on who you ask. There's a beautiful area south of 14 Mile Rd just West of Hoover.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit