Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times

Advertisements

32 people murdered over 15 day period in Detroit - YouTube

Published on Sep 25, 2012

DETROIT (myFOXDetroit.com) -

It has been a violent two weeks in Detroit. There have been 32 murders in just 15 days, and that doesn't include non-fatal shootings.

"These are not just people that are dying. These are husbands and fathers and sons and uncles and brothers and good people," said Angela Nelson.

Her husband, a father of five, was one of them. Balloons float in front of the house where David Nelson was visiting on Sheridan Street in Detroit two weeks ago just down the street from where he grew up. Police say a fight broke out between a couple. A man went to shoot his girlfriend, but Nelson pushed her out of the way and took the bullet himself.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Just another day in the D. Guess the chief was really busy in September?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
For most of these murderers, spending a life sentence in prison isn't much of a deterrent. If I were unemployed, living in poverty in an inner city ghetto, didn't have a loving family, was pissed off at the world, was brainwashed by so-called leaders into believing I didn't have a chance in life because of my skin color, didn't believe in God, etc....I probably would consider murder as a viable option to getting what I want or for getting even with someone that did me wrong.

So, I think we need to institute the death penalty as a deterrent of last resort. But we also have to make an effort as a country to go into our inner cities and give these young kids something to look forward to in life. We need to end government programs that discourage strong families. We need to hold parents accountable. We need to teach these kids about morality, ethics, community, responsibility, faith, etc. We need leaders who stop making excuses and blaming others, and instead try to instill in these kids that they can't let others determine their future but that they themselves have to choose right over wrong if they want to have a long happy life.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
The state of Michigan has already waited too long to take control of Detroit. How can a governor as concerned about his states image as Snyder is sit by and allow the flagship city of his state continue to rot like a dead dog in the summer heat? The police are passing out flyers at ballgames saying "Enter at your own risk" for craps sake!!! Nice tourism draw! How many more murders, scandals, and decaying/vacant properties do they need before SOMEONE does something LEGITIMATE in correlation with hosing that cesspool down???

Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
The state of Michigan has already waited too long to take control of Detroit.
"take control" isn't the word, but the state of Michigan did wait too long to address Detroit's problems.

All the predecessors since Romney, if anything, have simply encouraged exodus from Detroit, which added insult to injury.

Detroit's essentially in a free fall now, MAYBE Midtown/Downtown will be revived.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
The state of Michigan has already waited too long to take control of Detroit. How can a governor as concerned about his states image as Snyder is sit by and allow the flagship city of his state continue to rot like a dead dog in the summer heat? The police are passing out flyers at ballgames saying "Enter at your own risk" for craps sake!!! Nice tourism draw! How many more murders, scandals, and decaying/vacant properties do they need before SOMEONE does something LEGITIMATE in correlation with hosing that cesspool down???
What actions do you think the governor should take?

I'd like to see a state of emergency declared and the National Guard called in. Maybe even impose Martial Law.(?) As a side benefit, it would make the Emergency Manager issue seem like a no-brainer since the state would already be in control of most of the city, in effect.

When the governor first took office, there was talk about regionalism and cities combining services or combining altogether. Regionalization of metro Detroit would have a some benefits. It would not go over good with some suburbanites, but some of them can be convinced that a weak inner city brings down the whole area. Continued outward expansion while the center decays is not a good strategy.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It would not go over good with some suburbanites, but some of them can be convinced that a weak inner city brings down the whole area. Continued outward expansion while the center decays is not a good strategy.
That's already happening WITHOUT regionalization.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's already happening WITHOUT regionalization.
I know. That's my point.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I know. That's my point.
But my point is we have nothing to lose by trying out regionalization.

If anything, since all of the resources will be pooled and suburbanites will have a say in what happens with Detroit, we would see an improvement.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But my point is we have nothing to lose by trying out regionalization.

If anything, since all of the resources will be pooled and suburbanites will have a say in what happens with Detroit, we would see an improvement.
Okay, I agree. But some suburbanites don't want anything to do with Detroit and think that Detroit can just be ignored and the problem will go away. They feel that the flow of resources (i.e. money) will be a one-way dead end street into Detroit. Unfortunately, that probably will be the case. But there is no other solution. It will take the region, state or country to go into the inner cities to clean up the mess. Despite the social problems which really need to be solved internally, some of the mess was created just as a normal function of an expanding, modernizing city. For example the abandoned factories and housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit