U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM

26,319 posts, read 62,459,869 times

Advertisements

As our kids get older, they get disappointed that Halloween is not longe really for them. However my daughter found a solution. Youmacon.

Ten of thousand plus of kids (and fifteen odd adults) dress up like anime charcters and hang out at the Ren Cen all weekend. Not sure really what they do, but she went last year and loved it. I get a kick out of seeing the building all filled up with these costumed kids they are all super excited and the tension (the good kind of tensin) reminds me of our household at Chrsitmas eve mabe five years ago. Just a lot of pnet up excitment and non-stop chatter. What is neat is these are the geeky kids just having fun. It is not a stoner thing or anything negative (except a lot of the costumes are made to be sexy), it is just messing around and havigng fun. It is nice to see so many kids getting into something that is silly, pointless but fun and harmless.

It also has to be good for Detroit since they seem to book up all the hotels, and it does bring in kids from other states and countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM

4,571 posts, read 6,992,788 times
I went 2 years ago when it was smaller but completely filled the Hyatt in Dearborn. Probably the most fun a bunch of teenagers can do without causing a ruckus.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM

26,319 posts, read 62,459,869 times
You do not need to be asian. In fact, there are not many Asian kids that I have seen. You only need an imagination, a sense of humor, and a fun personality. The costumes are all over the place, you could be spider-man, or a French Maid, or Prussia, or some guy all covered in metal, or various robots, a fuzzy green fox, Pikachu, . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or