Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about the signals at intersections of streets where there aren't a lot of people around anymore, but still relatively busy intersections.

Namely, the ones I've encountered are 7 Mile/Chalmers and Warren/Van Dyke over here on the eastside.

Anyone know what's going on? The traffic signals are gone entirely (no sign of new ones being put up). Warren/Van Dyke is now a 4-way stop while 7 Mile/Chalmers had no stop signs.

I know Bing/Snyder plan to remove half of the STREET lights in the city under this Consent Agreement, but I wasn't aware traffic signals would be a part of it as well, particularly at intersections such as the aforementioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Two men enter; one man leave.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,566 times
Wow, pretty scary stuff.

The really funny thing is that I made a turn at 7/Chalmers this very afternoon and somehow did not even notice the change! I'd really be surprised if their is no stop or yield sign at either Chalmers nor E 7 Mile. An intersection with no sign for either street is called an "uncontrolled intersection" and is generally not tolerated in Michigan in even the most rural settings. Even the residential streets have two Yield signs for both directions of one of the streets.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Haven't heard anything but I can't see them just taking down traffic signals entirely. Especially at major intersections. That is a disaster waiting to happen. I can't even find anything on these disappearing traffic signals. It's odd. Wow. Maybe you should call up one of the city government offices or one of the news stations so they can investigate and see what's going on.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
I'd admit that much of Detroit's traffic lights aren't needed anymore. I thought that Detroit's road hierarchy is somewhat weird anyway. A lot of roads with traffic lights seem to be just residential collectors. I could see the city/Bing/Synder not seeing Chalmers as a non-major thoroughfare since you have Hayes actually goes all the way through to 8 mile. Though the lack of stop signs, at least on Chalmers, seems concerning.

I know going down Jefferson Avenue, the amount of red lights seems pretty useless with Detroit's current traffic flows. From St. Johns Hospital to that Farmer Jack strip mall, it seems like there's a light for every side street when there really doesn't need to be that many.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Does the East side even recognize traffic signals ever existed? Even when they are present (along Haper between Connor and Wyoming) people just barely slow down before blowing on through. I am complete amazed when folks stop for red along Connor. I yield whenever crossing Warren and Dickerson or Chalmers even when I have the GREEN light because I have seen so many cars ignore the RED on Warren.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 AM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
I don't know if this is related, but in my city (Eastpointe) a couple of traffic signals were removed a few years ago. If I recall correctly, the updated state/federal standards for traffic signals would have required these signals to be upgraded at great cost to the city, but the measured traffic flows didn't even necessitate these signals in the first place, so the city opted to remove them.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't know if this is related, but in my city (Eastpointe) a couple of traffic signals were removed a few years ago. If I recall correctly, the updated state/federal standards for traffic signals would have required these signals to be upgraded at great cost to the city, but the measured traffic flows didn't even necessitate these signals in the first place, so the city opted to remove them.
The one missing at Toepfer and Redmond is truly dangerous. Horrible sightlines at that intersection for those on Redmond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Wow, pretty scary stuff.

The really funny thing is that I made a turn at 7/Chalmers this very afternoon and somehow did not even notice the change! I'd really be surprised if their is no stop or yield sign at either Chalmers nor E 7 Mile. An intersection with no sign for either street is called an "uncontrolled intersection" and is generally not tolerated in Michigan in even the most rural settings. Even the residential streets have two Yield signs for both directions of one of the streets.
There are tons of them in Clinton Township subdivisions, iirc, at least there used to be when I lived there. Pretty sure my uncle's old house in Troy had one as well, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
The light at 7 Mile and Chalmers is back.

Apparently, the story on the light at Warren/Van Dyke is that a semi-truck completely destroyed it, so the stop signs are temporary.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
There are tons of them in Clinton Township subdivisions, iirc, at least there used to be when I lived there. Pretty sure my uncle's old house in Troy had one as well, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
Just saw an uncontrolled intersection today. N. Park and Linwood Avenues in Eastpointe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit