Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM

57 posts, read 134,588 times

Advertisements

Are they still good neighborhoods to move to, since the recession hit? Or, have they seen a decline since it's so close to the city of Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,385,544 times
Like all of Michigan (and to a lesser extent, the USA), the Pointes have been affected by recession, de-industrialization and other economic shifts, but have held up better to their proximity to Detroit than one might have feared they would.

In fact, the northern Pointes (Woods, Farms) have shown more shift due to their proximity to Harper Woods than the village and Park have shown due to their proximity to Detroit.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Like all of Michigan (and to a lesser extent, the USA), the Pointes have been affected by recession, de-industrialization and other economic shifts, but have held up better to their proximity to Detroit than one might have feared they would.

In fact, the northern Pointes (Woods, Farms) have shown more shift due to their proximity to Harper Woods than the village and Park have shown due to their proximity to Detroit.
Thanks for the info. I'm optimistic that they will maintain their prestige throughout this nightmare of an economy.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,260,410 times
Um - there's no nightmare of an economy in Grosse Pointe. Sure homes are for sale for less than they were in 2005 - but that's the case around the country. In fact - if you read this weeks Crains, you'll see plenty of development news in the GP's spearheaded by the Cotton family. It's not all doom and gloom here at all - check this out... http://youtu.be/gzS238MQaF4

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Um - there's no nightmare of an economy in Grosse Pointe. Sure homes are for sale for less than they were in 2005 - but that's the case around the country. In fact - if you read this weeks Crains, you'll see plenty of development news in the GP's spearheaded by the Cotton family. It's not all doom and gloom here at all - check this out... http://youtu.be/gzS238MQaF4
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about the general economy - state of the nation. Not GP specifically.

I am very happy hear things are doing well, there.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

378 posts, read 972,460 times
My parent's house has lost value versus 10 yrs ago to be sure but if I ever (God forbid) have a child I'd probably move back there to raise a family. It's still a hidden gem and a wonderful place. I even heard a rumor they're planning on shutting down a few major cross streets in the Park that access Detroit just like 30yrs ago. I sure hope they succeed. No reason to let crime creep in on every street.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
My parent's house has lost value versus 10 yrs ago to be sure but if I ever (God forbid) have a child I'd probably move back there to raise a family. It's still a hidden gem and a wonderful place. I even heard a rumor they're planning on shutting down a few major cross streets in the Park that access Detroit just like 30yrs ago. I sure hope they succeed. No reason to let crime creep in on every street.
Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear the value of your folks home has declined. My parent's home has taken a beating up in Waterford.

I think you and I may be close in age (I'm 31). Do you think GP has enough going on for a young-ish couple, without children? Would it be challenging to make friends without the child element connecting us with others? My husband loves to fish, and I really enjoy going into Downtown so the close proximity is appealing to me. GP is such a gem. Besides Ann Arbor, I can't think of another area I would enjoy living in. After living in San Diego the past ten years, walkability is a community is such a commodity.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,403,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangofacee View Post
Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear the value of your folks home has declined. My parent's home has taken a beating up in Waterford.

I think you and I may be close in age (I'm 31). Do you think GP has enough going on for a young-ish couple, without children? Would it be challenging to make friends without the child element connecting us with others? My husband loves to fish, and I really enjoy going into Downtown so the close proximity is appealing to me. GP is such a gem. Besides Ann Arbor, I can't think of another area I would enjoy living in. After living in San Diego the past ten years, walkability is a community is such a commodity.

There are a half dozen or so bars on Kercheval and Charlevoix in GP Park that seem like they would attract a reasonably younger crowd. More than GP City's main drag anyway.

Last edited by gameguy56; 01-23-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM

378 posts, read 972,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangofacee View Post

For sure. I'm about the same age as you and I live right in the heart of Portland so having a walkable city is a giant plus for me. I don't think I could ever live in a proper suburb and drive everywhere. The Park and City have a decent bar strip and at one point I lived a block from the Tap Room in the Patch (and loved it although my liver didn't) and walked all over. GP is great for the parks (private for residents only) and great clubs. I sailed out of Bayview and it was a great place to meet other ppl my age. Downtown is all of 10m away on surface streets and GP is very safe still although there has been more petty crime reported as of late. If your husband loves fishing and you like walking places this should be the top of your short list. In short you really don't need kids to enjoy it there and I still have many friends there that are childfree. But if you're used to San Diego weather be prepared to hibernate for 6 months. Winters in the midwest are long and cold - best wishes!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
For sure. I'm about the same age as you and I live right in the heart of Portland so having a walkable city is a giant plus for me. I don't think I could ever live in a proper suburb and drive everywhere. The Park and City have a decent bar strip and at one point I lived a block from the Tap Room in the Patch (and loved it although my liver didn't) and walked all over. GP is great for the parks (private for residents only) and great clubs. I sailed out of Bayview and it was a great place to meet other ppl my age. Downtown is all of 10m away on surface streets and GP is very safe still although there has been more petty crime reported as of late. If your husband loves fishing and you like walking places this should be the top of your short list. In short you really don't need kids to enjoy it there and I still have many friends there that are childfree. But if you're used to San Diego weather be prepared to hibernate for 6 months. Winters in the midwest are long and cold - best wishes!
Great to know! It's nice to have someone's perspective that is in the same age bracket, and values similar things in a community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit