Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times

Advertisements

I've got to say I disagree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in the first 4 pages of this thread. While there aren't a significant number of them, I certainly see racially mixed couples in Southeast Oakland County. It's not uncommon, they don't seem to be shunned or poorly treated, and (when they have them) their kids seem well adjusted and happy. I get that it's one of the more moderately-progressive areas of Metro Detroit, but from what I've seen there's no mixed-race couple hate here. I assume other moderately progressive areas like Royal Oak/Berkley/Ferndale/et.al., Southfield, Farmington Hills, Birmingham/Troyish, Dearborn/Heights, and even some more moderate blue collar areas like Warren or Wyandotte seem light on the racism. Now obviously it's even more accepted in places like Ann Arbor or Downtown Detroit. I could see it getting stares in places like Macomb Township, Northville Township, Commerce, or the Detroit neighborhoods.

As for the poster asking about Lansing I sat down to lunch at a table next to a mixed-race couple in Lansing a couple weeks ago. They ended up talking with me and I found out they were actually from Detroit, but we were having lunch in Lansing, so take that for what it's worth. Also a lot of East Lansing (MSU) graduates are staying in the area and moving to Lansing giving the city a more progressive feeling. It's no Ann Arbor, but I don't believe you'd find yourself in a bad dating situation if you work a bit on that foreigner grammar of yours Nah, I kid, I'll bet women find that endearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM

202 posts, read 250,439 times
I tend to notice interracial couples in more working-class areas. Half of Macomb County, particularly Roseville. I also find that people are more accepting there. Southfield is over 70% black. I knew a white family who lived there and faced blatant racism on more than 1 occasion. Its a little more militant there toward white people. When I go into gas stations there, people are rude and disrespectful to me.
Oak Park, on the other hand, is a different world. Ive been treated very respectfully there. Oak Park still has a better racial balance and people just seem more accepting. Farther east, the black population is really growing in Roseville and Eastpointe, so again, more racial balance, making people more accepting.
I honestly dont know many black-white couples (most biracial couples I know are white-asian) but I cant think of too many cities that would be outright discriminatory. The problem is, in many upscale areas, that people are cliquish. Jews marry their own kind in live in certain neighborhoods. Chaldeans marry their own and live in certain areas. Troy has streets where nearly everyone is Indian. Black-white couples arent really common enough where they have built a strong presence in any 1 community. The key is finding a community where BOTH are not likely to feel out of place or discriminated against.
Again, Southfield is becoming less accepting to whites. Livonia still has a reputation of being racist against blacks. Our situation is different. Our friends are white-asian couples. Quite a few are in Macomb (Sterling Heights/Roseville/Clinton Twp) and none have faced any problems.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is becasue you have a one sided perspective. I have experienced quite a lot of racism in parts of Detroit. You can view some pretty extreme racism by watching City council meetings. Did you see where they refused to award a contract to a contractor becasue the contractor was based in Howell?

I have seen other examples where the council tells people they cannot have or do something becuase they are white. A good example is 2005 or 2006 when they told all the charites they would not process block grant applications unless at least half of their board of directors were black. Several of the charities just gave up and closed. Antoehr example I do not recall the issue, but I recall a City clowncil person telling a union guy she did not care about his position because "You do nto look like me" and then asking him how many "brothers" are in the union. To which he replied "We are all brothers in the union" and she then snorted rolled her eyes and moved on to some other issue.

Trust me, there is plenty of prejudice racism and bigotry in Detroit, in fact some of the most extreme I have seen anywhere.
Just to clarify for anyone coming new -That was in 2013. This is no longer the case from what i have seen. The Detroit City Council is much improved. No longer the Clowncil.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevans1636 View Post
I would like to thank you all for your comments. I am a biracial black male and I am hoping to find a beautiful white woman who is open minded to share my life. I graduated from Harvard University and Cornell University Business School. I have a career in financial services and I am bring jobs to Lansing, Michigan.

I am in the process moving to Lansing, Michigan in hopes of finding love with a white woman and I am biracial. Are interracial marriages and couples growing in Lansing, Michigan?

Thank you
There are more folks here in Livingston County (neighbors to Ingham County, aka Lansing) who are outside the status quo and most of their neighbors appear to be welcoming--there will always be pockets of highly concentrated bigotry and fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit