Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would/will you vote for???
Dave Bing 1 11.11%
Mike Duggan 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

Mike Duggan makes it official -- he's running for Detroit mayor.

Mike Duggan makes it official -- he's running for Detroit mayor | City of Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
BUT who will the people in Detroit vote for? I am saying NEITHER. THey will vote for Krystal Crittendon.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Neither.

Why the hell would any sane person re-elect the old senile bat Dave "do-nothing like a deer in headlight" Bing and a McNamara crony being backed by Malik Shabazz?

And for the record, all of the potential candidates more or less suck.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
As a former top lieutenant in the McNamara Mafia, Duggan will ease right into Detroit's corrupt politics.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
True, all the candidates will suck to some degree. No sane person would take that job. But between the two (and only the two), I would say Duggan would do a better job for the following reasons:
  • more experience
  • younger
  • more aggressive
  • doesn't have a record as mayor which can be critiqued
  • brings "diversity" to the mayor-council level of government
  • will probably have greater financial support from the metro area to get elected
  • will probably have greater overall support from the metro area to get regional programs implemented

Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
While I think Bing has good intentions, he seems pretty ineffective. Detroit needs a stronger leader. I am not sure one is going to materialized, but they really need to try someone else to fight with the clowncil. Bing just is not strong willed enough. Of the current pack, I think Duggan may be the best option. Just because he was part of the McNamara government does not automatically mean he was part of the corruption. In fact, it was never determined McNamara did anything wrong, but some of his underlings certainly did. That does not mean every single person involved in the administration was corrupt.

Now, Detroit government has the FBI (and the State) looking over their shoulder at everything they do. The good old days of graft and corruption are at least curtailed if not gone altogether.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While I think Bing has good intentions, he seems pretty ineffective. Detroit needs a stronger leader. I am not sure one is going to materialized, but they really need to try someone else to fight with the clowncil. Bing just is not strong willed enough. Of the current pack, I think Duggan may be the best option. Just because he was part of the McNamara government does not automatically mean he was part of the corruption. In fact, it was never determined McNamara did anything wrong, but some of his underlings certainly did. That does not mean every single person involved in the administration was corrupt.

Now, Detroit government has the FBI (and the State) looking over their shoulder at everything they do. The good old days of graft and corruption are at least curtailed if not gone altogether.
I'm sure it was sheer coincidence that most of his cronies and underlings were corrupt. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence that indicts old Eddie as a pay to play executive. And if the guy technically wasn't a crook by the letter of the law, he was most certainly unethical.

Of course, you are the same person who also thinks that Birmingham and Midtown Detroit have the same level of crime.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post

Of course, you are the same person who also thinks that Birmingham and Midtown Detroit have the same level of crime.
No that is actually the Detroit chief of police, mayor, Detroit News and WJR who think that. I merely relay their statements.

Generalizations are meaningless. What evidence is there of Duggan being corrupt or unethical? Guilt by association? What did he do or what was he tied to or connected with that woudl show or even imply unethical behaviour. If there is something, I am sure we will be hearing all about it in the medai soon and he will likely not get elected. However if there is such evidence, it may make no difference. They re-elected Kwame after all.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Well so far it's Duggan by a landslide. I doubt Bing is getting reelected. He actually doesn't seem like a bad person to me, we know he tries but... I think his journey is over. To be fair, he was dealt a crappy hand and a ticking time bomb. A city on the verge of bankruptcy is the worst nightmare for whatever mayor is in office. That on top of city services severely lacking and emergency financial managers. Yeah he might as well start looking for his retirement destination. I hear Florida is really popular among retirees.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No that is actually the Detroit chief of police, mayor, Detroit News and WJR who think that. I merely relay their statements.

Generalizations are meaningless. What evidence is there of Duggan being corrupt or unethical? Guilt by association? What did he do or what was he tied to or connected with that woudl show or even imply unethical behaviour. If there is something, I am sure we will be hearing all about it in the medai soon and he will likely not get elected. However if there is such evidence, it may make no difference. They re-elected Kwame after all.
Yet you can't show where any of these sources reported this info. Odd.

By that logic Bob Ficano is an upstanding citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit