U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM

39 posts, read 40,588 times

Advertisements

Crime ridden? No, but I read the Ferndale PD reports and there are more issues in that area. More drug activity, and usually a robbery right at the corner of 8 and Livernois is normal once a month. Nothing even close to Detroit level of crime though. As I've come to understand it, you can expect that from any intersection on 8 mile bordering Detroit.

@Geologic: If you read the free newspapers here (I get Madison-Park news) usually its 1990-2000 Dodge Rams or Chevy trucks that get stolen. So to the OP, if you drive a different vehicle, you should expect it to be a lot further out of harms way then the statistics suggest.

In your price range though, anything in Ferndale or Hazel Park north of Marshall or Meyers streets (8 and a half mile basically) is priced about the same and is a much better area, east of Hilton is generally cheaper because the houses are smaller. Not sure what your price range actually is or what kind of house you are looking for in terms of size but there are actually much better and much more affordable places around here than 8 and Livernois.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 15,315 times
I have lived in Ferndale for 7 years, and there are a few rough spots. Although, I've found the city, as a whole, to be safe, friendly and really fun to live in.

I live near 8 mile between Hilton and the train tracks (East of Woodward), and I find my neighborhood generally safe, and love my neighbors. My sister lives near 8 mile between Woodward and Allen (so west of Woodward) and loves her neighborhood as well - nice street with mature trees, safe, neighbors all talk to each other. The neighborhood between Allen and Livernois gets much sketchier as you get towards 8 mile, and I would stay away from the area between Livernois and Pinecrest (this is near Royal Oak Township, not to be confused with the City of Royal Oak).

That said, the closer to can get to 9 mile, the better. The streets tend to consistently be nicer, plus you can walk to downtown! Where I'm at, you can walk, but it's kind of a pain in the butt - bicycling, however, is easy from anywhere in Ferndale).

Also, you should consider staying west of the train tracks, if you are south of 9 mile. The area east of the tracks tends to be more like Hazel Park, and you are really cut off from the main part of Ferndale (and the culture of Ferndale, in my opinion).

If you are going to live between 8 and 9 mile, I highly recommend that you stay in between Allen and the train tracks - particularly if you are closer to 8 mile. (So, basically staying close to Woodward on both sides of it.)

Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM

30 posts, read 37,429 times
I agree and disagree with the above post. I lived on Spencer in Ferndale from 2003 to 2005 and it was loud and shady. People slamming car doors and arguing at 3 in the morning wasnt very pleasant to me when I had to be up at six and I was pretty far on edge while I was at work about my house getting broken into, because on my days off it was normal to see cars circling the street during the daytime

In both of the houses I lived in after that, including the one I live in now, I didn't have any of those problems. The first one I was staying with a friend on Battelle, and I bought the house I live in near Mapledale Park in 2006. Living on Battelle was like a breath of fresh air because after the house on Spencer I was about ready to pack up and go back to Seattle.

Now that's not to say that that was then and this is now and so things may have and very well could have changed in the past 8 years since I lived on Spencer but I do think that based on my experience living in Ferndale, Marshall is a good boundary in Ferndale whether your west of the tracks or not or whether your in Hazel Park or Ferndale. Both cities are excellent places especially if you're looking to live in a smaller house closer to the city, but in general I would advize distancing yourself a bit from 8 mile.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 21,345 times
After having lived in the area my entire life, I can say without question that the city that is Ferndale, is NOT the city that was Ferndale. Just 10 years ago. In the last 5 years it's basically become an extension of Detroit. The person that said the part that's next to Royal Oak must have had a VERY different experience than I had there. The part that butts up to Huntington Woods, and some of Berkley is the area that is still nice, and mean the ONLY part. It's a real shame because going back approximately 20 years, Ferndale was a cut above both in terms of community and commerce. The spill over from Detroit has ruined it both in terms of crime and basic social structure.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM

465 posts, read 382,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember-Not-A-Member View Post
The spill over from Detroit has ruined it both in terms of crime and basic social structure.
That is the impression I've been getting.

I know downtown Ferndale is trendy and revitalized, but the rest of the city seems to have gone downhill.

And the schools stink, at least in terms of test performance.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,329 times
There is crime everywhere.
I live in the area (7 mile, almost smack between Woodward and Livernois) and I'm in Royal Oak and Ferndale often. I will be the fist to admit it: there is crime there and you do need to be careful, but there is crime everywhere. In Palmer Park, University District, Green Acres, Southfield, Oak Park, Ann Arbor, Troy, Ohio, Indiana, New York, Florida, Cali, Nebraska too!
I hate it when people make it seem like Detroit is such a bad city (not that you are specifically doing such a thing, but in general I have come across so many people that say "OMG you're from Detroit, have you seen anyone get stabbed or shot??? - NO!). I lived in SUBURBAN OHIO before I saw my first real fight!
Be careful anywhere, use common sense, ya know? Perhaps you should avoid Detroit and its immediate suburbs period. You want a house I gather, so try the Clinton Township area.
I cant really give you advice on what area has the best housing market but as a native Detroit, from that area, I can tell you maybe that is not the area for you because I cant promise you will feel safe or comfortable being a single white woman living alone.
Hope I didnt sound rude, just giving my insight, hopefully you find a great house and live happily ever after.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 AM

9 posts, read 12,575 times
Actually, the other side of eight mile (at least west of Woodward) is Sherwood Forest and then Palmer Woods, which are some of the nicest parts of Detroit. That area is way fancier than Ferndale, the houses are much larger, and I believe there is some type of neighborhood police watch (who knows what that means, but I remember seeing signs for this). But back on topic, there is nothing to fear in Ferndale that I wouldn't fear anywhere else including posh areas.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM

465 posts, read 382,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racham84 View Post
Actually, the other side of eight mile (at least west of Woodward) is Sherwood Forest and then Palmer Woods, which are some of the nicest parts of Detroit. That area is way fancier than Ferndale, the houses are much larger, and I believe there is some type of neighborhood police watch (who knows what that means, but I remember seeing signs for this). .
Those neighborhoods have beautiful homes, but many of those homes are foreclosed and vacant, and I would not call those areas particularly "safe". Maybe safe compared to the ghetto, but not compared to some average suburb. There are plenty of break-ins in Green Acres and University District, especially. There's a reason all those areas have paid security patrols, and are seeking to close off streets to the outside world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racham84 View Post
But back on topic, there is nothing to fear in Ferndale that I wouldn't fear anywhere else including posh areas.
I would definitely disagree with this. You're saying there's no difference in safety between Ferndale and Bloomfield Hills? Ferndale schools have had multiple gun incidents, and Ferndale crime is well above the average for Oakland County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit