Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,009 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Bloomfield Hills area this week and was wondering if this was a safe area? Also is there snow on the ground there right now? What about stuff to do in the area? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 30,550 times
Bloomfield Hills is one of the wealthiest areas in metro Detroit, so I wouldn't worry too much about safety. As far as things to do, Bloomfield Hills is mostly residential but you're near Birmingham and Royal Oak, which both have downtown areas with nice restaurants and bars.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
I couldn't help but giggle at the question because Bloomfield Hills is one of the safest places around.

There's still snow on the ground and it's melting slowly.

There is plenty to do in the area.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racham84 View Post
Bloomfield Hills is one of the wealthiest areas in metro Detroit, so I wouldn't worry too much about safety. As far as things to do, Bloomfield Hills is mostly residential but you're near Birmingham and Royal Oak, which both have downtown areas with nice restaurants and bars.
One of the wealthiest places in the entire country, more like. Very safe.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bloomf...-Michigan.html

There's a few remnants of frozen, crusty snow lying around. Roads are completely dry, though.

As to stuff to do in the area - as racham says, BH is mostly residential. But surrounded by all sorts of stuff to do...what are you interested in?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
It supposed to be in the 40s all this week so no snow. You might see some ice late at night though.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Go to Somerset Mall in Troy - It's about 10 miles from Bloomfield Hills and is the most luxurious mall in Michigan.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Go to Somerset Mall in Troy - It's about 10 miles from Bloomfield Hills and is the most luxurious mall in Michigan.
That works only if the OP enjoys recreational shopping.

Personally, I'd rather have several root canals performed without anesthesia than spend any time in a mall. That's why I asked what s/he was interested in doing....

Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
That works only if the OP enjoys recreational shopping.

Personally, I'd rather have several root canals performed without anesthesia than spend any time in a mall. That's why I asked what s/he was interested in doing....
This is me also. however Somerset is a bit less painful than most malls. Some parts of it are neat just to look at the decor and walk around and laugh at people trying to look rich and important. If you do not have to stay for more than half an hour to forty five minutes, it is not bad at all. Kind of neat. However at about 50 minutes you are longing to escape.

Many things to do. What do you like? Art? Theater? Outdoors? History? Scenery? Zoo? Antique coin machines?

This is a tough time of year though. No snow sports and a bit cold for most outdoor activity that does nto require snow. Quite a few fishermen out there today though.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,009 times
Thank you for all of the replies! We are into history, outdoors (even if it is cold, we live in Indiana so we are used to cold) and possibly the zoo. My husband will be busy during the day, so I was interested in what the little one and I could do during the day. I don't know the area and do not want to end up in a dangerous part of town by myself. Any extra information that you think would be useful would be wonderful. Also what about traveling in on hwy 24 in order to bypass downtown? Thanks again

Last edited by traveler2013; 03-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: adding to

Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM

302 posts, read 769,447 times
Bloomfield Hills is home to the Cranbrook Institute of Science Cranbrook Institute of Science | Michigan's Museum of Natural History, which has a lot of interesting exhibits.

Tyrannosaurus rex lights | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, about 50 minutes from Bloomfield Hills has some cool free museums, including a Natural History museum, an Archaeology museum, and an art museum.

Egyptian Masks | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dimetrodon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak is also a great place to visit.

tiger bath | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit