Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
lmao because no one steals in the burbs. there is some magical wall blocking both people from the city and suburbs from stealing across 8 mile. I swear I can't stand suburbanites
Ok then detroitlove, let's go with either...

"Those white raicist business owners who serve millions of blacks per day just won't to invest in a city that's majority black!!!"

or

"These business owners who have more important things to do like making sure their shareholders are happy with the profit levels are conspiring to bring Detroit down!!!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Is that Detroitlove??? I miss that girl lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM

406 posts, read 768,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Ok then detroitlove, let's go with either...

"Those white raicist business owners who serve millions of blacks per day just won't to invest in a city that's majority black!!!"

or

"These business owners who have more important things to do like making sure their shareholders are happy with the profit levels are conspiring to bring Detroit down!!!"

you must be rolling them at your self

Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't see it as being negative, rather realistic. I've seen tons of investors and retailers come and go over the past decades. In good faith, they invest in the city thinking that there's a big come back around the corner only to find out they've wasted their time and money as the decline of the city continues.

With folks like MarvinStrong313, I think they're TOO bullish about Detroit. The city has far too many fundamental problems that will take decades to resolve (especially at the snails pace they're being resolved). Other cities have these problems, but not nearly to the extent Detroit has, nor with as few resources as Detroit.

Detroit's my home. It pains me to see my town in its position. But at the same time, much of Detroit has gotten to the point where a miracle would be needed in order to save it. Dan Gilbert may have a god send for downtown/midtown, because otherwise it would still be dead (time will tell). However, I don't see anything to change the downward trajectory for the neighborhoods.
What are you doing about it? I moved away to Denver in 2008 and just recently moved back to Madison Heights/Royal Oak this past week. I plan on taking some ownership in this revitalization process, as best I can at least. For starters, I'm going to spend money at local businesses in Detroit. I already have a list of places I'm going to patronize around Downtown and Midtown. Next, I'm going to volunteer my free time to activities dedicated to helping the city repair itself. I may volunteer to help at-risk, inner city kids. I may work on some clean up projects. The list of things that can be done to help improve the city is quite large.

I realize Detroit is in a poor state relative to most other major metro areas. But one thing I learned about living in Colorado is that the natives there take serious pride in their major city. It wasn't always the lush, metropolis that it is now. There were areas downtown that were once crime-ridden (shootings, muggings, etc.). You go there now, and you wouldn't even be able to tell which areas they were talking about. I think the biggest between Denverites and Detroiters is that the locals there are proud of their history and proud of their city, for better or for worse. So, if you want to see this city improve, I'd suggest taking some action. People need to get back into the city and help it change. I think it's pathetic that there are all these suburbanites in the metro that haven't stepped foot in the City of Detroit, in many cases, for 20+ years. Fear and loathing of the city you want to change is not a good formula for change. Why don't you join me, and let's take back our city.

Last edited by Tekkie; 04-23-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
What are you doing about it? I moved away to Denver in 2008 and just recently moved back to Madison Heights/Royal Oak this past week. I plan on taking some ownership in this revitalization process, as best I can at least. For starters, I'm going to spend money at local businesses in Detroit. I already have a list of places I'm going to patronize around Downtown and Midtown. Next, I'm going to volunteer my free time to activities dedicated to helping the city repair itself. I may volunteer to help at-risk, inner city kids. I may work on some clean up projects. The list of things that can be done to help improve the city is quite large.

I realize Detroit is in a poor state relative to most other major metro areas. But one thing I learned about living in Colorado is that the natives there take serious pride in their major city. It wasn't always the lush, metropolis that it is now. There were areas downtown that were once crime-ridden (shootings, muggings, etc.). You go there now, and you wouldn't even be able to tell which areas they were talking about. I think the biggest between Denverites and Detroiters is that the locals there are proud of their history and proud of their city, for better or for worse. So, if you want to see this city improve, I'd suggest taking some action. People need to get back into the city and help it change. I think it's pathetic that there are all these suburbanites in the metro that haven't stepped foot in the City of Detroit, in many cases, for 20+ years. Fear and loathing of the city you want to change is not a good formula for change. Why don't you join me, and let's take back our city.
Great ideas. Detroit needs more citizens getting involved - more enthusiasm and less despair. Crime and jobs probably the biggest things to target.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Great ideas. Detroit needs more citizens getting involved - more enthusiasm and less despair. Crime and jobs probably the biggest things to target.
I was thinking earlier that it might be cool to start doing a happy hour downtown. Didn't they just put a state of the art Buffalo Wild Wings downtown? I'd be down for some meetups downtown. Maybe we can start sharing some of our ideas for bettering this town we all love.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM

406 posts, read 768,853 times
Quote:

I can't give you any more rep points! but you are beyond correct here. MI breeds non progressive complainers

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:

They need to bulldoze 1/2 of the city (east side) and give it to the state. Use that 1/2 for renewable energy and move those people to the other side of Detroit. The city will have 1/2 to maintain, and they can employ people to build and manage the other half. Use part of it for farming, and sell all the food for very little to it's residents. Detroit does not need to be as large as it is, and nobody will ever move back to certain areas. They might as well use the land for something productive. Or give the land away to large companies to bring jobs to the area. Give big tax incentives for doing so, which will bring more jobs. More jobs means more money, which means more restaurants/shops, which will turn to housing.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
They need to bulldoze 1/2 of the city (east side) and give it to the state. Use that 1/2 for renewable energy and move those people to the other side of Detroit. The city will have 1/2 to maintain, and they can employ people to build and manage the other half. Use part of it for farming, and sell all the food for very little to it's residents. Detroit does not need to be as large as it is, and nobody will ever move back to certain areas. They might as well use the land for something productive. Or give the land away to large companies to bring jobs to the area. Give big tax incentives for doing so, which will bring more jobs. More jobs means more money, which means more restaurants/shops, which will turn to housing.
They did have an "enterprise zones" program at one point. Some residents are doing cooperative farming and other larger-scale corporate-farming projects have been discussed and dropped. Corporate farms, vertical farming, citizen gardens all have been promoted and discussed but it seems like further action on those fronts has dropped off the radar.
We have also discussed, with seemingly little interest, ideas for subdividing the city into sections, neighborhoods, "villages", or wards each with its own boundaries and representation to the central government.
I still believe Detroit could be re-populated, with business growth to follow, by just getting a handle on the crime problem. The infrastructure is there to be used.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Tekkie:
Whenever I am able to rep you again I will for that post.

Quote:

While the eastside may be the most blighted part of Detroit there is still hundreds of thousands of people living on the eastside. Forcing them to move to the westside or southwest side may have a negative impact and may just cause many of them to leave the city altogether (in worse case scenario). There needs to be a better approach than this. The riverfront on the eastside for example has so much potential, it would be a great place to start building a tax base. With it's proximity to downtown and Belle Isle. Having private security, it's own services, and a couple of charter schools, it is definitely a place that many middle class families could live. If they focused on developing that area along the Jefferson corridor they could definitely give some of the neighborhoods in NW Detroit a run of it's money. It's already happening little by little in some spots around there. It could be one of the wealthiest enclaves in the city boosting the city's tax base overall. The vacant areas not bordering the riverfront, for example around city airport, could be used for something like the expansion of the cemeteries around there or better yet, a place for some business to expand for industrial type landscape (think the business warehouses and stuff along I-96 in Livonia). If Detroit becomes very business friendly, they could easily utilize that land creating jobs and a stronger tax base. Those are my ideas on what to do with the large amounts of blight you find on the eastside. With the neighborhoods where blight is sprinkled around, those are harder due to the fact that they are right next to many families. But at least we can raze the abandon homes to make it a bit more better. But there are things we can do with those areas with large amounts of vacant land. And the ones we don't have businesses built on or new neighborhoods created, we could either use it as a green space or some sort of unique park to attract people to or just seal it off until we find use for it. I just don't think the right thing to do is write off the entire eastside and say "fu*k it". I'm from the eastside so I really care about what happens to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit