Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times

Advertisements

I was getting my blood drawn today on the West side and mentioned that tonight is Devil's Night. All the lab assistants chorused, "Ohh, you're right, it's ANGEL's Night and they're going out on watch!"

A couple of points on this:

A) I always wonder how much of the furor over this is just media hyperbole. All my life growing up on the East Side, Devil's Night was a harmless sub-holiday that allowed kids to TP trees and egg windows before going back the next night asking for free candy. Somehow, right around the year I left, it turned into this city-wide arson festival -- except I'd never heard about any actual buildings burning. Not one.

B) Next thing I know, it had turned into this massive Neighborhood Watch initiative to STOP THE ARSON. Funny how people focus on the arson and not the tremendous grassroots efforts to protect what are, after all, abandoned buildings.

C) Multiple stories like this -- the whole city massing on the streets to prevent Devil's Night arson, tremendous efforts to make sure every underprivileged kid in Detroit has a winter coat, volunteers pouring into the soup kitchens and rescue missions to help their neighbors at Thanksgiving and Christmas -- NONE of it seems to dent Detroit's lousy reputation. WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,754 times
It's not what it used to be. I ran into a vanload of Japanese firemen, all the way from Japan, on Devil's Night back about 1987. They literally came all that way to see the city burn, and they weren't disappointed. I saw them at several fires that night.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 PM

106 posts, read 535,850 times
Arson doesn't really exist there as much anymore because they've already burned most of the buildings lol. (Not really.) But in case you're wondering, one of the reasons that Detroit had such a high arson rate years ago was that people inentionally burned their own homes and businesses. White flight was in full swing and their property values were plummeting because of it, so rather than trying to sell their homes, many people just set them on fire and blamed the arsonists. They would then collect the insurance, just leave the burnt shell of the house and move to one of the suburbs. I'm not saying that all arsons were like this, but many of them were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit