Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I actually transferred to the University of Michigan in my junior year and graduated from there.

All that shows me is for data for the entire Highland Park area. Of course there are some areas in an entire broke city that are worse than others. But for that specific location, right off of busy Woodward Ave., I doubt there is much that the OP would have to worry about. If s/he is parked in front of the building, s/he can always keep a close eye on it.
Good for you, sparky! Are you up for any more p*ssing contests? Want to compare salaries? Cars? Homes? Will that make you feel better about yourself?

Do you have any data that supports your claim that a specific street is safer than the rest of the zip code, or are you just going off of meaningless observations again?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Good for you, sparky! Are you up for any more p*ssing contests? Want to compare salaries? Cars? Homes? Will that make you feel better about yourself?

Do you have any data that supports your claim that a specific street is safer than the rest of the zip code, or are you just going off of meaningless observations again?
I'm not claiming that it's safer, I'm claiming that there's a lack of data to support the contrary. If you can find it, provide links. I am not finding anything for that specific street though.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not claiming that it's safer, I'm claiming that there's a lack of data to support the contrary. If you can find it, provide links. I am not finding anything for that specific street though.
No, there is data. You refuse to accept it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
No, there is data. You refuse to accept it.
Provide data for that exact location then. You haven't. You've found data for an entire zip code. I bet there are areas in my zip code with exceptionally higher crime than where I live that would skew the crime statistics. Does that mean that where I live is not safe? We all know how Detroit is. The Boston-Edison district is absolutely more stunning and beautiful (and most likely safer) than some random street five blocks south of it. There are pockets of beauty (and safety) surrounded by other pockets of grit and decay. As far as where the OP is wanting to go, it doesn't appear that it is an unsafe area. There is a lot of traffic off of Woodward and there is a police station just a half mile or so down the road on Seven Mile.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM

465 posts, read 872,566 times
Tekkie, you can play all the games you want, but I call BS. You know Detroit is significantly less safe. When we provide data, you ignore it and then make ridiculous requests (like asking for the data for individual blocks or buildings).

There is no data for tiny geographies. So no, the fact that the Census doesn't have data on every square inch doesn't invalidate the general point. For every data point that does exist (census tract, police precinct, etc.) Detroit is FAR less safe, even compared to crappy suburbs.

Boston Edison is FAR more dangerous than the suburbs. This isn't even worth talking about. Who the hell moves to B-E without security system and big dog, and even then, you eventually expect crap to happen. Are you for real?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Tekkie, you can play all the games you want, but I call BS. You know Detroit is significantly less safe. When we provide data, you ignore it and then make ridiculous requests (like asking for the data for individual blocks or buildings).

There is no data for tiny geographies. So no, the fact that the Census doesn't have data on every square inch doesn't invalidate the general point. For every data point that does exist (census tract, police precinct, etc.) Detroit is FAR less safe, even compared to crappy suburbs.

Boston Edison is FAR more dangerous than the suburbs. This isn't even worth talking about. Who the hell moves to B-E without security system and big dog, and even then, you eventually expect crap to happen. Are you for real?
Okay, you win. Everyone stay out of Detroit then. Don't spend your money here, stay away forever and be scared. It's super-duper dangerous and you shouldn't cross over into the city limits unless you're strapped. Let the businesses there that are trying to develop and prosper suffocate. Let the entire god-d**n place burn to the ground. And let's convey this attitude to everyone we come across to. Our neighbors, our kids, our family, people who have never been here. Let's scare the s**t out of them all so they don't dare come here.

Given the cynical attitudes and negativity of the people that live here, I'll probably be out of here in a couple years anyway. Obviously you people DON'T want to see the city improve. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many whiners and complainers here; rather, there'd be people hyping up the city and all that is happening there to improve it. I don't know why I even care about what happens to this place. You people are the ones stuck with it. And y'all wonder why so many college grads flocked away from the city and will likely never come back. Idiots, shooting yourselves in your own foot.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Okay, you win. Everyone stay out of Detroit then. Don't spend your money here, stay away forever and be scared. It's super-duper dangerous and you shouldn't cross over into the city limits unless you're strapped. Let the businesses there that are trying to develop and prosper suffocate. Let the entire god-d**n place burn to the ground. And let's convey this attitude to everyone we come across to. Our neighbors, our kids, our family, people who have never been here. Let's scare the s**t out of them all so they don't dare come here.

Given the culture and negativity of the people that live here, I'll probably be out of here in a couple years anyway. Obviously you people DON'T want to see the city improve. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many whiners and complainers here; rather, there'd be people hyping up the city and all that is happening there to improve it. I don't know why I even care about what happens to this place. You people are the ones stuck with it.
Because that's EXACTLY what he said.

I love how you continually "threaten" to leave. Oh, what will the region do without Tekkie and his infinite wisdom!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM

465 posts, read 872,566 times
Quote:
Okay, you win. Everyone stay out of Detroit then. Don't spend your money here, stay away forever and be scared.
No one said any of this nonsense. But we're realists, and know that Detroit has serious safety problems.

I'm in Detroit all the time. At the same time, I'm not oblivious to the fact that it's a dangerous place. Why do you think most city residents leave the very minute they can afford to leave?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Detroit

Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
No one said any of this nonsense. But we're realists, and know that Detroit has serious safety problems.

I'm in Detroit all the time. At the same time, I'm not oblivious to the fact that it's a dangerous place. Why do you think most city residents leave the very minute they can afford to leave?
You're no more a realist than I am. What you are though is the stereotypical Internet cynic/whiner who doesn't realize that the bad message and vibes you send off make people think twice about coming here. There are good things happening in Detroit proper, but who'd want to come here after reading your rants about constantly being in harm's way? Excellent way to market your city, chief!

Last edited by Tekkie; 05-14-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit