Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's changing.

The westside suburbs across 8 Mile are now majority black, and even Eastpointe is now only 68% white.

It'll be more accurate to say that it's a class border now.
What suburb north of 8 mile is majority black besides Southfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM

406 posts, read 768,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's changing.

The westside suburbs across 8 Mile are now majority black, and even Eastpointe is now only 68% white.

It'll be more accurate to say that it's a class border now.
like jonny said, the only majority black westside burb is Southfield. Maybe Oak Park too. But the vast majority are not. Most of the suburbs period.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
What suburb north of 8 mile is majority black besides Southfield?
Oak Park (57%) and Royal Oak Township (95%). Only Hazel Park, Ferndale, Warren and Eastpointe have a white majority now.

And even Eastpointe in the past 20 has gone from being over 90% white to only 65% white. The same thing with Warren. It's now less than 80% white with a growing black population.

Given the rate of flight from NE Detroit and the rate that white people are fleeing from Eastpointe & Warren to places such as Shelby Township, Macomb Township, Sterling Heights, etc., it's quite possible like with Harper Woods that Eastpointe will have a black majority by 2020 or 2030.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Didn't Eminem kind of break down that whole "8 Mile barrier" thing?
No. I hope that is a joke. If not, you give rappers too much credit. Especially that one...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
Ferndale maybe, but Redford? ha! trashy at its best

Hey wait a minute, I resemble that remark..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM

37 posts, read 61,567 times
Quote:
Ferndale maybe, but Redford? ha! trashy at its best

each person's perception is different... one person's trash is another person's treasure.

and- let's be abour boosting, not booing.

KBL

Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 18,954 times
I am confused about what would be considered a middle class, with decent schools or upper middle class area in detroit 2013? i am new to the area and live outside detroit. i just dont know even from my research. i have the impression about Grosse Point or Woods or Park? i have family on Vernor and Junction and its pretty hectic there but i dont think thats the worst area. Its bad enough that i wouldnt live there though especially with my kids.
I know they dont particulary enjoy it' but stay because they cant afford anything else. but i saw some pictures taken in 2010 of the Boston edison neighborhood and it looked nice and i wonder are all th nice neighborhoods from 2010 still nice? im from NY, lived in a few of the boroughs and worked in NYC. Also lived on long Island where it costs alot even for a dump but its kind of unfair to even compare NY and Detroit, so i disagree with those that do. NY has a lot of Money in general and NYC is home to many different industries. Sorry' im off track now

Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyprimadonna View Post
I am confused about what would be considered a middle class, with decent schools or upper middle class area in detroit 2013?
In the city proper the real answer is "none," particularly as regards schools, though there are some decent magnet schools like Cass Tech.

Boston Edison is pretty run down, really, and the adjacent streets in any direction are down downright abysmal.

Probably the best neighborhoods are downtown, midtown, rosedale park, the neighborhood that consists of Palmer woods, Sherwood Forest and green acres, indian village and the neighborhood adjacent to Grosse point park.

There are tons of other little pockets of stability as well.

But nothing would probably rise to the level of a genuine upper middle class neighborhood IMO.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM

406 posts, read 768,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
In the city proper the real answer is "none," particularly as regards schools, though there are some decent magnet schools like Cass Tech.

Boston Edison is pretty run down, really, and the adjacent streets in any direction are down downright abysmal.

Probably the best neighborhoods are downtown, midtown, rosedale park, the neighborhood that consists of Palmer woods, Sherwood Forest and green acres, indian village and the neighborhood adjacent to Grosse point park.

There are tons of other little pockets of stability as well.

But nothing would probably rise to the level of a genuine upper middle class neighborhood IMO.
right....your opinion

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
right....your opinion
So what neighborhood do you think could be called "upper middle class?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit