Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times

Advertisements

I got dibs on the Diego Rivera murals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I want a couple of suits of armor. Do they have my size?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I want a couple of suits of armor. Do they have my size?
Only if you are very small. Even the knights in shining armor back then were tiny by today's standards.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
What else does the city have to sell? I think I would rather sell Belle Isle before the DIA.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I can't imagine they have any assets they could conceivably sell off that are even going to put a small dent in $14 billion.

Wasn't the offer from Belle Isle from that kook private developer only $1 billion?

Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
National group of art museum directors urges Orr to leave DIA collection intact

Quote:
“Art collections are vitally important cultural and educational resources that should never be treated as disposable assets to be liquidated, even in times of economic distress,” the New York-based association said in a statement issued late Friday.
The belief that a museum’s collection is held in public trust for current and future generations is a bedrock principle of the association and the museum field as a whole, the association said.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 PM

39 posts, read 108,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I can't imagine they have any assets they could conceivably sell off that are even going to put a small dent in $14 billion.

Wasn't the offer from Belle Isle from that kook private developer only $1 billion?
isnt that the same investor who put the condos down on boblo island

Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here but I have a question. This is art work were talking about. Can't they just sell it and have some more artist paint them some more pictures and donate it to the DIA??? Hell, this is actually a sad story and may be inspirational to alot of artist and they may donate to the DIA to get it back on track.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Are you out of your brain?

The collection is valued around $3 billion, the city's long term debt is at least $14 billion.
That wasn't clear from the news outlets I consulted. A few of them suggested that the collection was sufficiently valuable to fully cover the long-term debt. If that's incorrect, then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the current standards of journalism.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
A very silly statement.

You personally see no value in fine art.

Get rid of the museum, the CSO, the Opera and you lose a HUGE competitive edge in what little cache Detroit, and in fact all of metro Detroit, has in attracting businesses to the area.

How do you compete with other cities to attract business when you can no longer offer even a semblance of sophistication?

Every thriving city in the world realized this long, long ago: Investing in green space, public institutions like the museum, beautification adds enormous "real world" benefit in terms of attracting businesses--which, I will give you the credit of understanding, means jobs and tax revenues.
Most people relocate for quality work, safe streets, good schools, tolerable weather, etc. Those are the things -- the basics which affect the day-to-day quality of life for the vast majority of people -- that folks value most highly. Corporations prefer places that offer a good business climate and sometimes low operating costs/taxes. If an area can offer good urban amenities, then that's a bonus and a serious advantage, but Detroit started losing any edge in that department about 60 years ago.

People and companies don't move to the Detroit area for the DIA, the Opera, the CSO, the museum, etc. That's just some window dressing offered up by people promoting the area to suggest that it's more cultured than the press would have you believe. The presence of such amenities is peripheral to the considerations of people and companies when they consider setting up shop. Moreover, I don't think that anyone is fooled by people pushing that stuff as being indicative of Detroit being the beating heart of a proper metropolitan area when folks see the current state of the city and experience life on the ground.

Detroit slid into crisis decades ago; the end game is now. To fix it, extreme solutions are required. Talk about fiddling while Rome is burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit