Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 AM

52 posts, read 270,206 times

Advertisements

Because Bagley and Warrendale are such terrible communities teeming with horrifying people just waiting to prey on children, right? East English Village? Also a 'child friendly' 'community.

Theres no denying that Detroit as a whole is not the best place to raise children but to say that there are no such areas where children can be safe is ludicrous. I would never let my children roam the Dexter-Linwood area or 7 Mile and Chalmers, but how many responsible parents would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
Because Bagley and Warrendale are such terrible communities teeming with horrifying people just waiting to prey on children, right? East English Village? Also a 'child friendly' 'community.

Theres no denying that Detroit as a whole is not the best place to raise children but to say that there are no such areas where children can be safe is ludicrous. I would never let my children roam the Dexter-Linwood area or 7 Mile and Chalmers, but how many responsible parents would?
\

Warrendale??!?! Are you kidding??? Ever since Detroit PD got rid of residency, Warrendale has been steadily declining and there's no WAY I'd let my kids out at night around there. There was just a robbery and double shooting at the laundromat on Warren Ave/Southfield. There are registered sex offenders all over the 48228 zip code and gang grafitti everywhere. East of the park is worse than west, but west of the park is following rapidly. I lived north of Warren/West of Evergreen and south of Warren, east of Evergreen for most of my adult life. A friend of mine was robbed about a year ago by someone who waited for him in his backyard on Fielding and whacked him in the head with a 2x4 and left him for dead. Numerous home invasions, including MY houses, 3 times and two more atttempts while I was HOME. There have been dope houses sprinkled throughout Warrendale since the 80's. There are NO bakeries left on Warren Ave between Southfield and the city limits to the west. There used to be one on every block almost. The meat market is gone. Lots of wig stores, nail salons, liquor stores and cell phone stores though.

The lady across the street from me was robbed on her way home from church (St. Thomas Aquinas). A few blocks down, another old lady was robbed and murdered in her house after coming home from a church meeting, and that was when Warrendale was still a decent neighborhood. The Burger King on Garling has been robbed multiple times over the past 5 years with one of the robberies resulting in the murder of one of the employees. I believe Sts. Peter and Paul school is closed with the church probably not too far behind.

Armor guard is appearing on the doors and windows of more and more houses in the neighborhood. You'd have to be NUTS to let your young kids out of your sight anywhere in the Warrendale area and there's no WAY I'd let a 10 year-old out after dark.

There ARE no "child friendly" neighborhoods left in Detroit. That's not horrible, it's just the truth.

Warrendale? No way. You remember this from south of Warren, west of Greenfield, don't you?

Quote:
Chief seeks help in killings' wake
She asks community to help fight 'explosion of violence' after 2 boys slain in drug plot.
Norman Sinclair / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- A plot to rob and kill a rival drug dealer ended with the cold-blooded killing of two young boys in a west side Detroit home, according to a detailed police report released Tuesday.

According to court records, the plan went awry late Friday night with horrific results when no money was found and the drug dealer survived.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted material

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2007 at 02:49 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM

30 posts, read 133,401 times
Again, the northwest side of the city. Where I was born and raised. NEVER had any problems; neither did any of my neighbors. Have you lived in every neighborhood in Detroit? Or have you just driven by. As I said before and will say it again and again. There are plenty of family friendly areas in Detroit.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Again, the northwest side of the city. Where I was born and raised. NEVER had any problems; neither did any of my neighbors. Have you lived in every neighborhood in Detroit? Or have you just driven by. As I said before and will say it again and again. There are plenty of family friendly areas in Detroit.
I think my post on Warrendale would be enough to convince anyone who lived in Warrendale that I'm telling the truth. Once again: A reasonable person would not let their young child wander out of their sight in any area of Warrendale. Lot's of parts of the city where people WERE born and raised USED to be OK. Not anymore. Not by my standards anyway.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 49,989 times
Could someone fill me in on the neighborhoods surrounding Boston-Edison? I've been in Arden Park, which is I believe to the East, and it seemed OK, although I was only there briefly. I've driven through Highland Park, to the north of BE, a few times, and understand it is bad - the people I was with said they don't stop at red lights on Woodward at night there. Somewhere north of Highland Park is Royal Oak, where we had dinner. This seemed like a great place; lots of people on the streets, restaurants and shops, etc. But what are the areas to the west and south of B-E? And what are they like? My friends know someone in BE who jogs from there to downtown Detroit often (along Woodward possibly) and apparently has never had a problem, although he doesn't walk around the area after dark. I am specifically interested in the eastern part of Boston-Edison, to the east of the freeway, closer to Woodward.
Also, I'd like to thank everyone for their help and comments. I've met a number of people on my Detroit trips, all of who have been really nice to me and my family.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM

Below the eastern part of BE, east of freeway, west of Woodward? That part of town has seen better days, but all in all, it could definitely be in a worse spot. As the gentrification continues to head up from Midtown, as New Center heats up, then thats when that part of the city will heat up. It has a great housing stock, but there are some vacant lots scattered throughout. Its definitely a neighborhood to keep an eye on. I see a bright future for it.

Now, the area WEST of BE is pretty bad.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 AM

I knew people who lived a few blocks West of Woodward just outside the Boston/Edison area. Their parents were actually the original owners of the house, built in 1911. They were worth millions as their parents owned a prominent Detroit company. When they died and the house was sold a few years ago, I think the house sold for $40,000.00. I guess they were waiting for the area to make its comback before the moved!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Not very surprising, as that neighborhood sat there, cold as hell for decades, without having the mystique of being a historical district like BE above it. It will make a comeback however, but not before New Center is redeveloped and built back up. Give it about 5 to 10 years.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM

I think it was right down the street from the notorious Algiers Motel.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM

30 posts, read 133,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I think my post on Warrendale would be enough to convince anyone who lived in Warrendale that I'm telling the truth. Once again: A reasonable person would not let their young child wander out of their sight in any area of Warrendale. Lot's of parts of the city where people WERE born and raised USED to be OK. Not anymore. Not by my standards anyway.
Where is Warrendale? I've never heard of that area. Not sure why you are quoting me as I've never mentioned the area. But I'll let you have your opinion on your standards - that's the beauty of the good ole' U S of A.

By the way, I wouldn't let my child of any age run the block by no matter where I lived. There are crazy people everywhere you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit