U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,605,162 times

Advertisements

Great article out of the Washington Post today.

'The white population’s abandonment of the city left Detroit with a shrinking tax base and deteriorating, segregated public schools — a system locked in place by a Supreme Court order that halted busing across school district lines. But blacks left behind in Detroit had one thing left — political power. And they would guard it jealously against any encroachment, real or imagined.

Thus, the city’s black political class sees conspiracy theories everywhere. The investigation of the last mayor by the Detroit Free Press, and his indictment by a prosecutor, is seen as a white conspiracy to undermine black “home rule” of Detroit. The governor’s appointment of an emergency financial manager, once it became clear that Detroit cannot manage its own fiscal affairs, is again seen as a hostile, racist takeover by the state over the city’s elected black leadership.'

Detroit’s demise was decades in the making - The Washington Post

The bankruptcy isn't going to change racial attitudes but at least it removes those who had the political power to peddle it and a media more than willing to spread it ... like manure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM

6,095 posts, read 4,769,842 times
I agree. It should be just as obnoxious for us to accept Detroit as a "Black City" as it was for blacks in the 40s, 50s, and 60s to accept Detroit as a "White City". Detroit can not be a black island in the middle of the white suburban sea. It must be re-integrated. In fact, much of the regrowth in midtown, downtown, Corktown, etc. is being driven by recent white arrivals. Black Detroiters should welcome this. If not, they are the racists and are no better than the whites who tried to keep blacks out decades ago.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,710,029 times
While of course I agree completely with this story, I am very surprised to see it appear in a a radical left wing newspaper like the Washington Post.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM

1,657 posts, read 996,954 times
I think this might have been true about 10 years ago, but I think that racial politics have become much less important in Detroit and the suburbs in the post-Kwame era.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,117,857 times
Agreed - You'd be hard pressed anyone in Metro Detroit who doesn't want Detroit to succeed. We've lived through the past decade -we need each other. These types of sensational stories are spurred by bigots elsewhere.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,723,680 times
I have come to accept the fact that African Americans have not and will not ever control the narrative on the issue of race in this country. The racial narrative is controlled by the demographic that controls the media, the demographic that host the popular online forums and blogs, the demographic which rules by numerical and monetary majority control….a demographic that is also hell bent on diminishing its major past and present role in the outcome of communities that it is on record as having oppressed, denigrated, segregated and economically emasculated for centuries.

It is a fact that the state of everything that exists EVOLVED into its current state as a results of actions begetting reactions over the continuum of time. While this may be a fact of nature, it’s largely ignored and or rejected when the state of black America, of which Detroit is a microcosm, is examined. If one dares to mention the role of the ruling demographic and its historical acts of oppression, denigration, discrimination and segregation, they get label as playing a “card game”, to discredit the speaker so that the power demographics’ narrative stands alone ....one that diminishes its role, even though that defies logic, and eludes that its actions (centuries of oppression from the power demographic) have had no adverse reactions that influences the current situation of the targeted demographic.

Detroit, like Travon Martin, is a victim of those with collective power of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy, with conscious or sub conscious assumption or conditioning about race being at the core. Every action creates reaction. George Zimmerman had the prophecy that Travon was a thug. He was given the power of an officer of the law. His actions followed his beliefs and hence he treated Travon like a thug by following him, watching him and calling the police on him, then getting out of his car to prevent the thug from “getting away”, which he is on record as having said they always do. His actions were the trigger for Travons reaction (to being treated like a thug), which was violent, which self-fulfilled that Travon was a thug in the eyes of the police and jury, which made killing him justifiable. Without Zimmerman’s self-reinforced prophecy, Travon would would still be alive.

The same is true for the city of Detroit. The power demographic created a self-created resultant, for Detroit, born from their prophecies of what would happen if the black demographic moved in and gained political power. It would be no different than what would happen if the wealthiest people lost confidence in the stock market, born from speculation that some change will cause the market to crash. In turn, born from this speculation, there is a massive sell off by those in fear….which in turn cause the market to crash…..like they predicted. That is the nature of a market capitalistic economy. Success or failure is largely predicated upon this thing called confidence and how much confidence the money controlling class has in something. If they have confidence they will sincerely (expecting an ROI) INVEST if they lack confidence they will DIVEST. Detroit would come back roaring if the power demographic did not lack confidence in the people who make up the majority of the city.

American has never shown a collective confidence in Black people, although it has always, from time to time, singled out some as exceptions to the rule. In fact, the assumption of the racial inferiority of blacks has historically been the overt or stealth doctrine in this nation. The Narrative is that blacks are superior runners, jumpers, dancers and entertainers, but intellectually, temperamentally inferior and lack personal responsibility relative to other groups and have a greater NATURAL propensity towards violence…..mind you……not born as the consequence, symptoms or aftermath of centuries of mistreatment by the power demographic, but due to innate causation. Thus, these beliefs or profiles of black people lead to the lack of confidence in neighborhoods and cities as they become increasingly black and these communities and cities decline because the power demographic DIVESTs because they lack confidence in these people, then things decline from the divestment and the power demographics prophecy is fulfilled, courtesy of their own actions. That is what happened to Detroit.

Yes...there was political corruption. Yes, there was mismanagement. Yes, there were those leaders, like Coleman Young, who was seen as divisive.....but they are all after the fact. In other words, they after after the exodus of the power demographic was well underway and cannot be seen as the cause for the exodus of the power demographic.

America is going through a transition phase where cities are the trend for young talented adults. They like big cities with walkable neighborhoods and lots of cool stuff. If Michigan is going to compete for talent it has to get its biggest city together. The major businesses are already starting to reinvest. The State is trying to take things over, by usurping the democratic rights of the citizens, to control the city for the interest of the ruling demographic and set the foundation for the return of the gentry.

This is something that I had to just get off my chest in light of recent events. I am not in the power demographic so I do not get to control the narrative as I have no power on whose opinions need to be banned, whose opinion is out of bounds, whose opinion needs to be stricken…..to preserve a narrative. This is my opinion….and not a debate….and I am going back into hiding after this post, because forum commenting is one of the least productive ways to spend my time.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-19-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
As Kilpatrick said--We (Detroit's politicians) won't let them (suburbanites) do to Detroit what they (suburbanites) did to the DIA.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Great article out of the Washington Post today.

'The white population’s abandonment of the city left Detroit with a shrinking tax base and deteriorating, segregated public schools — a system locked in place by a Supreme Court order that halted busing across school district lines. But blacks left behind in Detroit had one thing left — political power. And they would guard it jealously against any encroachment, real or imagined.

Thus, the city’s black political class sees conspiracy theories everywhere. The investigation of the last mayor by the Detroit Free Press, and his indictment by a prosecutor, is seen as a white conspiracy to undermine black “home rule” of Detroit. The governor’s appointment of an emergency financial manager, once it became clear that Detroit cannot manage its own fiscal affairs, is again seen as a hostile, racist takeover by the state over the city’s elected black leadership.'

Detroit’s demise was decades in the making - The Washington Post

The bankruptcy isn't going to change racial attitudes but at least it removes those who had the political power to peddle it and a media more than willing to spread it ... like manure.

ONLY until the next election. Let's wait and see who the citizens put BACK in office. This will be the tell-tale sign of how racial issues are going to be addressed in the future.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 AM

9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
Do you really think that middle class AA are willing to move back into a city that has no real infrastructure, failing schools, etc.?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,605,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I think this might have been true about 10 years ago, but I think that racial politics have become much less important in Detroit and the suburbs in the post-Kwame era.
When it comes to the city just do a search for 'city council' here or on google ... that should change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: