Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times

Advertisements

How about a "Pure Michigan. . .Detroit Strong" kind of campaign. Kind of a grass roots, "get in on the ground floor" sort of thing. The train is in the station, gathering steam, getting ready to pull out: so get on board".

Let's brainstorm on what's right with Detroit, and, yes, there are many things right with Detroit. Everyone: just add an item or two to this thread about good things and we'll compile the list. . .

I've summarized the list. The bullets as a whole are huge, but taken in smaller chunks--bullet by bullet--can be broken down and worked. For each of the bullets, let's all chip in and try to enumerate the positives Detroit has going for it.
  • Agriculture and Food Systems
  • Fisheries
  • Forestry and Wood Products
  • Manufacturing and Industry
  • Small Business
  • Technology
  • Economics and Finance
  • Urban/Rural Economic Ties
As far as, say, Agriculture and Food Systems, as well as Forestry and Wood Products, Detroit has/or can have/ fairly large swaths of land which can be converted for both. Take some of the outlying areas from the core of the city, and plant trees. Then, maybe create or use existing boulevards and focus on making them tree-lined. It is a known fact that trees enhance property values and can be quantified in pure $$$$ in benefit. I can provide links if needed, but trust me on this. Planting and maintaining trees can provide jobs.

Then, maybe closer in, allow farms to take up root. Perhaps even closer in, Farmer's markets can setup with little infrastructure to provide fresh fruits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Default Detroit is bicycle friendly

I spent 4th of July riding around the city. I was amazed at how bicycle friendly the city is. There are more dedicated bike lanes and off-road trails than I imagined. Plus, with almost zero auto traffic, it was as if the city was my playground.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Detroit has A waterfront. I was soooooo tempted to snark...

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times

Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM

99 posts, read 281,719 times
The Red Wings played for the Stanley Cup, the Tigers are leading their division and the Lions play better every season. Sports in Detroit are a terrific attraction for the city.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 AM

OK, so we've got:

Large swaths of land where most infrastructure can be removed or abandoned, saving city on $$$$ in upgrades and maintenance.

City is bicycle friendly--either by choice or by less vehicular traffic. Can that be built upon?

City has a waterfront: how best to leverage that without too many high-rises to block the view from the rest of us?
There is Belle Isle, too. Turn it into a state park with modest entry fees and close and secure between dusk and dawn?

How about available buildings? Any in good enough shape to turn into Call centers maybe, so that it would be possible to "Outsource to Detroit". English speakers and relatively modest (yet livable) wages could be a huge bonus.

more ideas and things that are "good" about Detroit, please!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM

OK, one I didn't get until recently was : Professional Sports!

The Red Wings played for the Stanley Cup, the Tigers are leading their division and the Lions play better every season. Sports in Detroit are a terrific attraction for the city.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Outside of large cities like Detroit, despite its problems, there is pretty much an across-the-board-cultural wasteland. Some people are okay with this, but others are not.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Outside of large cities like Detroit, despite its problems, there is pretty much an across-the-board-cultural wasteland. Some people are okay with this, but others are not.
Are you referring to the suburbs?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
More food thought. Oh, to start over again.
How to design our neighborhoods for happiness | Better! Cities & Towns Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit