Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Right, you said none of those things. I paraphrased in order to save you from saying it outright.
I don't believe the CEO was lying when he made his statement about profits, but your "interpretations" always run the same theme. Pretty dumb to open such a store mainly for publicity, wouldn't you say?
Okay, maybe the CEO's statement was designed to smooth over what he suddenly realized was a bad business decision. Did you attempt to warn him when the idea first became known to Detroiters? I'm sure he would have appreciated your insight into the awful reality of the city's business environment.
Don't know about and never heard of "sensitive flower disease" - a gardening term?
It's not dumb at all if you at all understood Whole Foods' business strategy. Clearly you do not.

I never said it was a loss leader. I said IF it was, the store is still a success based on their overall strategy. We don't know if its profitable because the CEO didn't release any numbers.

Educate yourself before spouting off ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
It's not dumb at all if you at all understood Whole Foods' business strategy. Clearly you do not.
I never said it was a loss leader. I said IF it was, the store is still a success based on their overall strategy. We don't know if its profitable because the CEO didn't release any numbers.
Educate yourself before spouting off ignorance.
The business just started up - you want to give it a chance?
The CEO says: "the store is exceeding our wildest expectations."
You say: "Their CEO could be referring just to the fact that it's generated an incredible amount of publicity".
Is that not a loss-leader?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
I am going to go down there this weekend to buy my weekly groceries. Afterwards, I'm going to head to Corktown and kill some of that pulled pork w/ a side of mashed sweet potatoes at Slow's BBQ.

It's a beautiful store in a great location IMO. I hope more great investments are to come in that area. Cheers to gentrification!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 90,448 times
I'm originally from Detroit. I miss Detroit.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The business just started up - you want to give it a chance?
The CEO says: "the store is exceeding our wildest expectations."
You say: "Their CEO could be referring just to the fact that it's generated an incredible amount of publicity".
Is that not a loss-leader?
Clearly reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Clearly reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Easy ADS. The admins and I banned a longtime user here because they started getting belligerent. You don't win any points for your side by insulting people.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Easy ADS. The admins and I banned a longtime user here because they started getting belligerent. You don't win any points for your side by insulting people.
I'm sorry, but I'm far from the belligerent one on this thread. I made a comment on what great marketers Whole Foods are and got attacked by the Detroit cheerleaders.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm far from the belligerent one on this thread. I made a comment on what great marketers Whole Foods are and got attacked by the Detroit cheerleaders.
Cheerleaders? How awful.
You say your post was not meant to suggest that the CEO was hiding the truth of a probable failed business decision behind a "great marketing campaign" with little substance backing it up?
After a measly few days in business at one location? I misinterpreted? If true, the guy must really be a failure and lacking business acumen.
How about giving it at least a month to see if it fails because of Detroit's "awful business environment", it's "questionable" residents and workers.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-09-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
This was only their first month of business. The first month for anything that's new is always "exceeding our wildest expectation" since there's so much hoopla over the place being brand new. The same was the case with the Kroger on 7 Mile and Gratiot when it first opened.

I'd give them another year or two to really gauge the store's success.

(same with Meijer)

Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
To be fair, that same user is back under a different username (and is still just as belligerent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit