Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times

Advertisements

Where in North Carolina? Ever been in Michigan? I ask because my wife and I lived in NC 2009-2012 and the first thing we noticed is the difference in housing cost and property tax. You will find that you get less house for the money and HIGHER property taxes, especially the closer to water you get.

Coming from NC, I would look at South Lyons and the northern side of Milford. How close to commercial / retail do you want to be?

Areas in south Novi / Northville are also quite nice.

There is an organic market in South Lyons near 8 Mile. Most communities have great farmer's markets. There is alos an organic co-op in Brighton on Grand River near Old US 23. You can get to Ann Arbor for Whole Foods and Kerry Town has a great organic GMO free market as well.

Is that budget $350.00 or is it $350,000?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-16-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,405,414 times
For 350k South Lyon is a good choice, and you can use I-96 to get to work. Novi will cost a bit more. Farmington Hills schools are not that great.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,833,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
For 350k South Lyon is a good choice, and you can use I-96 to get to work. Novi will cost a bit more. Farmington Hills schools are not that great.
As a current resident and current user of Farmington Hills schools, I respectfully disagree. Children get a great education here. I fee that the residents tend to be more down to earth... and our teachers are second to none. You won't be able to assess well until you see for yourself. There is more economic diversity and... I don't like to phrase it this way... less snob appeal. We also have an excellent early childhood program.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,405,414 times
Ok, I should change to "Farmington test scores are not that great compared to Novi and South Lyon".

Obviously you can get a good education in Farmington. The schools are probably above-average. But they are not the best in the area. It matters to many homeowners.

Probably the education is just as good, but Farmington is more diverse, with more kids from Detroit and Southfield (many more working class African American families) and that affects the overall scores somewhat. Overall is a good district, though many say Harrison High is slipping (not sure if true or people are just making stereotypes based on race).

Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,792,718 times
I know West Bloomfield pretty well and large lots with new construction in that price are not very common. If you found one having a trailer would probably be an issue.
Farmers markets I have only been to a few and it was spring/summer in the area and they were very small. There are many Whole Foods and Trader Joes near.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I know West Bloomfield pretty well and large lots with new construction in that price are not very common. If you found one having a trailer would probably be an issue.
Farmers markets I have only been to a few and it was spring/summer in the area and they were very small. There are many Whole Foods and Trader Joes near.
Aren't there sections that have existing homes on larger lots? Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I thought there were for some reason.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times
I would think the OPs criteria of NON SNOBBY would rule out Bloomfield, West Bloomfield, and Farmington Hills. Unless my cousins have moved out of Farmington Hills and took snobbery with them...

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 15,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Where in North Carolina? Ever been in Michigan? I ask because my wife and I lived in NC 2009-2012 and the first thing we noticed is the difference in housing cost and property tax. You will find that you get less house for the money and HIGHER property taxes, especially the closer to water you get.

Coming from NC, I would look at South Lyons and the northern side of Milford. How close to commercial / retail do you want to be?

There is an organic market in South Lyons near 8 Mile. Most communities have great farmer's markets. There is alos an organic co-op in Brighton on Grand River near Old US 23. You can get to Ann Arbor for Whole Foods and Kerry Town has a great organic GMO free market as well.

Yes, we have been to Michigan, we actually lived in Jackson for a couple years before relocating to NC. We absolutely hated Jackson, but from what I can tell so far the suburbs of Detroit are very nice for the most part. And yes you are correct about the housing and taxes being much higher, we are still in sticker shock! We live in a beautiful 4 bedroom house that we bought in NC brand new and in order to get something similar in MI we're finding we would need to spend $100K more than what it costs here. I'm beginning to think we are crazy for wanting to go back there, especially this time of year.

To answer your other question, it is not important to be very close to commercial / retail. The only retail we go to often here is for groceries, which is why I'm hoping to find a good organic food market. We are spoiled here in NC with all the great local food markets and parks. We find ourselves going to parks a couple times a week because our son loves playing outside. I have a feeling that might change though due to the cold weather in MI.

And yes, budget is 350K.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 15,283 times
Quote:

We are coming from Huntersville, a suburb of Charlotte.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,086 times
Quote:
I would think the OPs criteria of NON SNOBBY would rule out Bloomfield, West Bloomfield, and Farmington Hills. Unless my cousins have moved out of Farmington Hills and took snobbery with them...
"Snobby" is a pretty subjective term, but the only parts of Metro Detroit I might personally consider "snobby" would be Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and some of the Pointes. Those three areas have an extreme concentration of wealth that have crossed generations. The rest of the area is fairly fluid in terms of wealth distribution -- though I can see that changing in 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit