Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times

Advertisements

'Michigan Taypayers Have Already Bailed Out Detroit'

Michigan Taxpayers Have Already Bailed Out Detroit [Michigan Capitol Confidential]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I "bail out" Detroit EVERYDAY I go to work by paying city taxes. Given a choice between bailing out DETROIT or the corporations that share in the $18 BILLION tax cuts from Governor Adolph Snyder (including the Illich's new arena) I will pick DETROIT everytime.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Giving Detroit any more financial aid at this point is like giving crack to a crackhead. Time to go cold turkey.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
First off, that $350 Million dollars is merely to bail out Pensioners (most of which DON'T live in the city) and save the art work in the DIA (something mostly SUBURBANITES patronize), both of which are things that would otherwise be cut and sold off in the bankruptcy. I won't see a dime of that money going to service improvement that will benefit me as a non-public sector employed citizen of the city of Detroit.

Second, if you actually read the proposal, the catch with the proposal is to transfer ownership AWAY from the city of Detroit to a public trust/authority. How taking away an asset legally owned by the city of Detroit can be viewed as a bail out to the city in any way, shape or form is just plain stupid to me.

Third, as far as those other bonds, the citizens of Detroit MUST pay those bonds back with interest. It's not like it was free money (which is the technical definition of a "bail out").

Fourth, as far as the income taxes and other crap, once your city is the largest in the state of Michigan, it can lobby for special privileges as well. Funny thing is, there's enough evidence that the state of Michigan (legally) screwed over Detroit with the income tax. Despite the fact that the state of Michigan refused to pay the revenue sharing that's owed to the city from the 1998 agreement in exchange for the city to lower its income tax rate from 3% to 2%, Detroit must still continue to lower its income tax rate costing it $8 million dollars in lost revenue per year.

I know some folks just want to get their panties in a wad about any and everything they view as negative about Detroit, but at least let's have our facts straight.

Last edited by 313Weather; 01-24-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Giving Detroit any more financial aid at this point is like giving crack to a crackhead. Time to go cold turkey.
Generally going cold turkey with hard drugs like crack and heroine kills the person. That's why there are substitutes like Methodone.

Detroit needs Methodone.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I think you mean cut it off. Your little suburb wouldn't exist without Detroit. Since you are one who can smugly exist in a bland environment with little culture, no high-caliber amenities, institutions such as DMC and Ford Hospital, art, music, big name entertainment, a global crossroads, major conventions and the ability to host them, even a scenic location ripe for development, you certainly don't speak for everyone there. With Detroit gone, who will exploit Novi MI? Nobody!
Without Detroit, your suburb would wither and become third-world. Fortunately, many savvy businessmen and other people with vision and talent don't see things your way and are making a difference.
I have witnessed the rush-hour traffic which pours in and out daily from your area and others - even during the recent time of trouble. Get your neighbors to stop exploiting the city and see what happens.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 01-24-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I think you mean cut it off. Your little suburb wouldn't exist without Detroit. Since you are one who can smugly exist in a bland environment with little culture, no high-caliber amenities, institutions such as DMC and Ford Hospital, art, music, big name entertainment, a global crossroads, major conventions and the ability to host them, even a scenic location ripe for development, you certainly don't speak for everyone there. With Detroit gone, who will exploit Novi MI? Nobody!
Without Detroit, your suburb would wither and become third-world. Fortunately, many savvy businessmen and other people with vision and talent don't see things your way and are making a difference.
I have witnessed the rush-hour traffic which pours in and out daily from your area and others - even during the recent time of trouble. Get your neighbors to stop exploiting the city and see what happens.
*Yawn*

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
*Yawn*
Very thought-provoking response there!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
people are tired of throwing money down a canyon.
detroit needs to help detroit.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Very thought-provoking response there!
detwahDJ's inability to temper his emotions and his tendency to attack those who do not share his urban progressive precious artiste loving worldview provokes that kind of response from yours truly. It's old and it's tired. He needs to work up a new routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit