U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 PM

372 posts, read 406,086 times

Advertisements

It's true. I'm a 19 year old girl who used to spend hours on the computer researching cities and states to move to when I start college. I used to be all "I hate Michigan, I can't wait to get out of this place!"

Here I am, starting college in the fall still in Michigan. By choice. I just can't bring myself to leave this state. All the research I've done on other states just didn't impress me. I finally realized that I really love Michigan after I found myself comparing other states to us. Then I thought "Wait. If I want to move to a state like Michigan, why do I want to move at all if I'm just wanting a state that is basically Michigan, just with different city names?"

Detroit Zoo is fantastic. Not too mention it's a pretty big zoo. Also, I hear they are improving the penguin house. Woohoo!

And I actually like the weather. All the people complaining about Michigan weather are wimps. Yeah, so it's 70 one day and 40 the next. So what? I like variety.

Speaking of variety, we have a lot of it. Metro Detroit. Grand Rapids. Ann Arbor. The UP. Plenty of restaurants and malls for me. We have a Renaissance Festival, huge annual auto show that's only in Detroit. Autorama, Woodward cruise, Thanksgiving parade, and tons of other activities that I'm just too lazy to list.

But my favorite part of Michigan is Metro Detroit. It is home to me. I actually like that little group of Downriver cities people usually look down upon. Allen Park in particular deserves more credit.

Yes we are struggling pretty bad right now, but not many places across the country are doing much better. I can't wait until Metro Detroit cities (and Detroit itself) rise from the ashes and start gaining population and praise again. We just need to give at time. Good things come to those who wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,889,818 times
I used to prowl around downriver communities for photos and that's where I learned to like grittiness, Detroit or elsewhere. It's so much more interesting and photogenic than manicured lawns.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,024,808 times
Wyandotte, Grosse Ile, and Trenton are nice communities downriver. Anyway, just be patient, Downtown will be so different in 7 years..(not wishful or optimistic thinking)..but so many approved plans will be completed which will be dramatic. Downtown and Midtown will be connected with the New Hockeytown, a new metro line up Woodward, Capital Park will be renovated, the Jail will be moved and converted to more condos connecting Greektown to Harmonie Park, a new building is slated to be built, all the buildings on Merchant Row should be leased out, and the Free Press Building and the David Scott Building will be converted to Condos. In addition, there may be a new building built where the old Hudson's Building was located and there may be a new condo community in Rivertown. Hopefully, the Book Building Welitzer Building United Artist Building, and the Metropolitan Building could be renovated...and done! Then we can focus on building outwards and fill the whole area with density all within the boulevard. In the meantime, the blight will be removed.

I think that Downtown, Midtown, New Center, Woodbridge, Eastern Market, Rivertown, and the Villages are poised to boom. These areas coupled with our robust and massive metropolitan area located next to Canada will make this a truly dynamic area.

Last thing, we need to focus on ourselves and not compare ourselves to anyone else. My only wish is that we were more connected with Windsor. It really is a shame for instance when you watch the news, they never mention anything about the Windsor area as if it is doesn't even exist. I think that Detroit should focus on its unique location and bolster the Detroit - Quebec Corridor. People talk about a high speed train to Chicago..(blah). I prefer one from Detroit to London to Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal and then to Quebec. Westward, I would prefer a high speed Train to Grand Rapids and ending on Lake Michigan. Oh, and we really have to fix the roads, get rid of some many duplicative city governments and school districts, and consolidate the major cities with the suburbs.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 AM

4,469 posts, read 5,710,928 times
I like Downriver, particularly along Jefferson Avenue. It felt quiet and tranquil last I drove down there. And Grosse Ile is just an underrated gem. I also found it pretty surprising how quick it was from Flat Rock to Downtown. The same trip from the northern burbs feel twice as long.

I love Metro Detroit too... if only it was a little bit better in a lot of areas, but there's still a light I have for it somewhere deep down if I look hard enough.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 AM

10,470 posts, read 9,222,447 times
You did the right thing Omatic. I've been to many other major cities in the U.S. and I have to say they are all pretty much the same. You will find good and bad areas in each, but basically they are all just a bunch of countless houses interspersed with countless McDonalds, Starbucks, Home Depots, etc. Yeah, each city has its special places, such as museums, zoos, fancy restaurants, special events, etc. but they are all pretty comparable honestly.

The biggest reason for people leaving is the weather, but it's really not so bad if you know how to dress. I've been out and about the past few days in the frigid cold. So, I had to wear thermal underwear, scarf, hat, gloves...big deal, I was warm, didn't freeze to death. I actually like not having to mow the lawn, trim bushes, pull weeds, water the garden, etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM

204 posts, read 203,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You did the right thing Omatic. I've been to many other major cities in the U.S. and I have to say they are all pretty much the same. You will find good and bad areas in each, but basically they are all just a bunch of countless houses interspersed with countless McDonalds, Starbucks, Home Depots, etc. Yeah, each city has its special places, such as museums, zoos, fancy restaurants, special events, etc. but they are all pretty comparable honestly.

The biggest reason for people leaving is the weather, but it's really not so bad if you know how to dress. I've been out and about the past few days in the frigid cold. So, I had to wear thermal underwear, scarf, hat, gloves...big deal, I was warm, didn't freeze to death. I actually like not having to mow the lawn, trim bushes, pull weeds, water the garden, etc.

I respectfully disagree with that assessment.

I agree with the fact that most major cities are the same... the difference is that Detroit doesn't have the same center city feel as many other major cities like Portland, Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia.. Even Baltimore has a better center city. Also, you are right that each city has its special places such as fancy restaraunts, special events.. the difference is that some cities have MORE than others.

The one thing I really don't understand is that everyone keeps raving about Michigan's scenary. While it does have huge lakes, it is a pretty flat state with no real mountains. Other states around the great lakes such as Wisconsin, Minn, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Upstate NY, all have the same offerings, if not better offerings as Detroit. True that we have 5 great lakes that you can go to, but you can only be at 1 lake at a time. You can't visit all 5 at the same time. Also, if you live in the Detroit area, it is pretty far to drive up to the "scenic" areas up north. I didn't even get started with some of the nature that is available in the mountain states... or how cold and cloudy Michigan is...

I am not trying to instigate a battle, but I really don't understand why there is so much "hype" on this forum about living in the Detroit area and in Michigan in general. I mean the Metro Detroit area isn't bad, but it is also far from good.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM

6,942 posts, read 4,962,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Wyandotte, Grosse Ile, and Trenton are nice communities downriver. Anyway, just be patient, Downtown will be so different in 7 years..(not wishful or optimistic thinking)..but so many approved plans will be completed which will be dramatic. Downtown and Midtown will be connected with the New Hockeytown, a new metro line up Woodward, Capital Park will be renovated, the Jail will be moved and converted to more condos connecting Greektown to Harmonie Park, a new building is slated to be built, all the buildings on Merchant Row should be leased out, and the Free Press Building and the David Scott Building will be converted to Condos. In addition, there may be a new building built where the old Hudson's Building was located and there may be a new condo community in Rivertown. Hopefully, the Book Building Welitzer Building United Artist Building, and the Metropolitan Building could be renovated...and done! Then we can focus on building outwards and fill the whole area with density all within the boulevard. In the meantime, the blight will be removed.

I think that Downtown, Midtown, New Center, Woodbridge, Eastern Market, Rivertown, and the Villages are poised to boom. These areas coupled with our robust and massive metropolitan area located next to Canada will make this a truly dynamic area.

Last thing, we need to focus on ourselves and not compare ourselves to anyone else. My only wish is that we were more connected with Windsor. It really is a shame for instance when you watch the news, they never mention anything about the Windsor area as if it is doesn't even exist. I think that Detroit should focus on its unique location and bolster the Detroit - Quebec Corridor. People talk about a high speed train to Chicago..(blah). I prefer one from Detroit to London to Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal and then to Quebec. Westward, I would prefer a high speed Train to Grand Rapids and ending on Lake Michigan. Oh, and we really have to fix the roads, get rid of some many duplicative city governments and school districts, and consolidate the major cities with the suburbs.
I like this post

Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM

6,942 posts, read 4,962,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post

I agree with the fact that most major cities are the same... the difference is that Detroit doesn't have the same center city feel as many other major cities like Portland, Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia.. Even Baltimore has a better center city. Also, you are right that each city has its special places such as fancy restaraunts, special events.. the difference is that some cities have MORE than others.

The one thing I really don't understand is that everyone keeps raving about Michigan's scenary. While it does have huge lakes, it is a pretty flat state with no real mountains. Other states around the great lakes such as Wisconsin, Minn, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Upstate NY, all have the same offerings, if not better offerings as Detroit. True that we have 5 great lakes that you can go to, but you can only be at 1 lake at a time. You can't visit all 5 at the same time. Also, if you live in the Detroit area, it is pretty far to drive up to the "scenic" areas up north. I didn't even get started with some of the nature that is available in the mountain states... or how cold and cloudy Michigan is...

I am not trying to instigate a battle, but I really don't understand why there is so much "hype" on this forum about living in the Detroit area and in Michigan in general. I mean the Metro Detroit area isn't bad, but it is also far from good.
One of the things I like about Michigan is the places you can get to on a weekend trip. Places that are too scenic eventually become places with a high cost of living.....so you end up having to pay for the scenery. Anyways, there are many million + metros within a four or five hour drive of Detroit and there are many natural areas of equal or less distance to visit and enjoy.

Sometimes contrast is what gives you the greatest appreciation of something. To go from the heart of Detroit to Sleeping Bear Dunes.........the contrast is priceless. If you saw the dunes everyday.....one would not appreciate it the same way as someone from the city on a weekend trip would.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 PM

10,470 posts, read 9,222,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post

Those are fair points. To someone who is looking for a center city feel, Detroit is lacking. But how many people are looking for that overall? A small percentage that are right out of college who move to Chicago for a few years until they start having kids and realize they need a good school district.

And I'll agree the scenery doesn't compare to some other places, but how many people have time to spend enjoying all that scenery. People have to work their asses off nowadays just to pay the bills. They aren't spending time out hiking in the mountains every weekend, they're putting in overtime.

And metro Detroit is a fairly cheap place to live.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM

372 posts, read 406,086 times
I agree of the people who move to a place that has hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. opportunities, never actually end up taking advantage of those things.

It's also true that Detroit is not a place that has hustle and bustle, but that is a plus. I like peace and quiet.

Nothing against Los Angeles, San Diego, or Miami, but we also don't really have to worry as much about natural disasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Looking forward to seeing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit