Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times

Advertisements

Online job postings more than double over year

WIN Southeast Michigan » Quarterly Reports

111.9% in the 9-county metro and 95.7% within city proper. The biggest gains were in Oakland and Wayne County.

The City of Detroit saw the number of online job posting increase from 13,000 to just over 25,000 from Q4 2012 to Q4 2013.

These are the top 5 postings within city-proper.

1. Retail Salespersons (4,181 postings)

2. Software Developers For Applications (3,982)

3. Sales Representatives for Wholesale and Manufacturing other than technical and scientific products (3,483)

4. Registered Nurses (3,445)

5. Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers (2,479)

It should be noted that the City of Detroit's labor force is still shrinking and the employment numbers have been flat despite a rapidly declining unemployment rate. However, I think that's more indicative of the fact that the city is still losing population and many people who are just now becoming unemployed or losing unemployment benefits are quickly moving out.

It seems easy to guess that Detroit will continue to lose population and have a shrinking workforce (probably due to increasing retirees as well as out migration), however, the unemployment rate will quickly fall and average wages should slowly increase.

Meanwhile, the metropolitan area outside of Detroit still remains stable with increasing employment number but a slowly declining labor force, (also probably due to increasing retirees in addition to a slow population growth).

So overall, things are okay in Southeast Michigan. We're not exactly booming, but we're not going downhill either. An educated guess would say that in the next few years, Metro Detroit will see slow to moderate growth. It's not going to be a dramatic comeback but there will be signs of revival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Online job postings more than double over year

WIN Southeast Michigan » Quarterly Reports

111.9% in the 9-county metro and 95.7% within city proper. The biggest gains were in Oakland and Wayne County.

The City of Detroit saw the number of online job posting increase from 13,000 to just over 25,000 from Q4 2012 to Q4 2013.

These are the top 5 postings within city-proper.

1. Retail Salespersons (4,181 postings)

2. Software Developers For Applications (3,982)

3. Sales Representatives for Wholesale and Manufacturing other than technical and scientific products (3,483)

4. Registered Nurses (3,445)

5. Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers (2,479)

It should be noted that the City of Detroit's labor force is still shrinking and the employment numbers have been flat despite a rapidly declining unemployment rate. However, I think that's more indicative of the fact that the city is still losing population and many people who are just now becoming unemployed or losing unemployment benefits are quickly moving out.

It seems easy to guess that Detroit will continue to lose population and have a shrinking workforce (probably due to increasing retirees as well as out migration), however, the unemployment rate will quickly fall and average wages should slowly increase.

Meanwhile, the metropolitan area outside of Detroit still remains stable with increasing employment number but a slowly declining labor force, (also probably due to increasing retirees in addition to a slow population growth).

So overall, things are okay in Southeast Michigan. We're not exactly booming, but we're not going downhill either. An educated guess would say that in the next few years, Metro Detroit will see slow to moderate growth. It's not going to be a dramatic comeback but there will be signs of revival.
Lets not forget the retiring of the baby boom generation contributing to the decline of the labor force as well. I think the city and metro area likely has a higher median age than what is average in the US.

That said.....thanks for that! Good news and information. This type of news should get more attention. I wonder did any of the local network stations run the stories on any of their two hour long newscast? They were probably too busy trying to be the first reporting some new bad news.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
What, from 5 to 10 jobs?

Seriously, good for Detroit. And, don't worry, they'll be back when they run out of water. That scale is already tipping.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
That's the kind of news I like to hear! I was also startled not long ago to hear some economic analyst on NPR saying that CEOs are complaining about not enough applicants for their empty high-tech and professional jobs.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
That's good to hear. I felt like my field was pretty humdrum when I was living there last year. I couldn't find a decent paying job in SCM for the life of me. The jobs that were available to me paid too low or were entry level.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,875 times
Personally, I have found little to nothing here fitting what I am looking for in my ongoing 14 month job search. Like above, when I did, it was too low of pay and/or below my experience level. I have been speaking to many out of state companies during that time. Even though I've long outgrown my current role, at least I have something to get me by. It is always great to hear it could be getting better for some who have been really hurting for work.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Jobs 1 and 3 are basically commission work. A company can hire hundreds of commission workers and it does not cost them a dime.

Nurses have always been in demand as have truck drivers. Software is a recent development here in Michigan, but since most developers have left the state, employers are hurting for quality help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: