Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM

19 posts, read 36,986 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to figure out exactly where to buy my first home and as a single parent, middle school child , I am on a limited income. I kind of narrowed it down to Wyandotte or Southgate because of affordability. what about the waste treatment in wyandotte' does that area have a odor or pollution? If I could afford Riverview which I cant' that would have been my first choice. as I was doing some research I saw some cheap homes in Wyandotte and was wondering "why" they would be so cheap rent wise yet a high appreciation? can anyone give me a feel for these 2 different cities being I am a outsider? how are the schools? are people friendly or too themselves? are the city services good? like snow removals, street lights and safety. I don't like that houses are very close together but I don't know why when there is plenty of land. im from NY so I just don't know why? Sorry so many question but I want to make a informed choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times
Neither have stellar schools. That being said, I prefer the community of Wyandotte for its neighborhoods and community. The houses tend to be older in YnDot as well. Where in Wyandotte or Southgate are you looking?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Well ive been looking all over Wyandotte except the very border of ecorse. I can get about a $70,000. mortgage. ive also been looking all over southgate. my main issue is im trying to find a minimum 3 bedroom 2 bath or even a duplex. I don't want a complete fixer upper and id like to have corner lot if possible. A Privacy fence is great, if not ill put one in. I don't need the Top academic schools as my son is not very social, has adhd and other issue's, possibly Aspergers . my main thing about the schools is that they have people that care about kids and my son has some caring teachers that will be understanding. My son has a very high IQ and has gone to some very good schools in Long Island NY and even was in Ann arbor half a year but that's not the most important. however I skipped over Lincoln Park because of the schools and nearness to Detroit. Hopefully this is helpful. maybe you can recommend some neighborhoods in Wyandotte or southgate to avoid? or ones that would be peaceful. Thank You I appreciate any advice

Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times
I would avoid the north side bordering Ecorse. Other than that, I would look between Goddard and Eureka. Though 14th through 21st streets south of Eureka might be more affordable and less work?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Thank You zthatz !! you've given me a good place to start.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 PM

429 posts, read 968,093 times
If you are able to I suggest checking out Woodhaven. It's a great city and is deff is a positive up swing. The city has really changed a lot and is continuing to grow and get better.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM

yes' I am open to other area's being I don't have any roots planted yet. thank you. I also must say I don't understand the tax assessments but have to consider that also when buying. I will see what comes up under Woodhaven.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:43 AM

429 posts, read 968,093 times
Parts of brownstown are good too (mainly the parts boarding Woodhaven)

I personally have not lived in Woodhaven but have many friends that do. Also I am somewhere between being a friend and being an acquaintance with the major of Woodhaven so I might be bias

The tax assessment for michigan homes or for Woodhaven specifically ?

I could try to explain it but I would prob confuse you (and myself lol) if I did since it doesn't totally mke sense to me either.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 AM

18 posts, read 31,481 times
Wyandotte is wwwaaayyy nicer. The surrounding communities (Ecorse, River Rouge, Lincoln Park), not so much.

Melvindale is a fairly nice downriver community. It borders Dearborn, Allen Park, River Rouge, and I think part of Detroit.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeographyGeek View Post
Wyandotte is wwwaaayyy nicer. The surrounding communities (Ecorse, River Rouge, Lincoln Park), not so much.

Melvindale is a fairly nice downriver community. It borders Dearborn, Allen Park, River Rouge, and I think part of Detroit.
So far ive been leaning toward Wyandotte. It reminds me of a few towns on Long Island NY, although not as congested. I like the waterfront area. Not to live on but to live close by with a choice of a few restaurants. I haven't visited any parks, in the area but I would like to start taking a closer look especially for my son. He enjoys soccer. Im really starting to lean toward Wyandotte. thanks for the confirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit