Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times

Advertisements

I'm also planning a little ghetto tour through the rust belt cities like Detroit, Camden, Gary, Flint, Chicago so like this thread makes clear, it is good to realize that is not completely safe. Not that I'd expect to be safe in Detroit in the first place. I guess it would be best to just stay inside the car with the doors locked, the engine running and window opened and take pictures that way.

On the other hand, the danger makes a trip like that more exciting. Maybe the US should start offering organized tours in bullet proof buses for urban decay tourists through gang land? There is such a huge amount of urban decay in the rust belt, why not take advantage of that as a tourist destination?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I'm also planning a little ghetto tour through the rust belt cities like Detroit, Camden, Gary, Flint, Chicago so like this thread makes clear, it is good to realize that is not completely safe. Not that I'd expect to be safe in Detroit in the first place. I guess it would be best to just stay inside the car with the doors locked, the engine running and window opened and take pictures that way.

On the other hand, the danger makes a trip like that more exciting. Maybe the US should start offering organized tours in bullet proof buses for urban decay tourists through gang land? There is such a huge amount of urban decay in the rust belt, why not take advantage of that as a tourist destination?
haha...and employ a few locals to shoot some real bullets at the bullet proof buses

Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,882,970 times
Quote:

Nope, play at your own risk. Police have better things to do like protecting the people living there. Even people living in Detroit don't usually go to nearly completely empty bombed out neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 PM

580 posts, read 776,957 times
Quote:

Maybe not intentional, but the schadenfreude is a little thick in this post.

While making for eerie/fascinating pictures, there are generations of people who made their livelihoods in those cities, and changes in the world economy ultimately forced it's closure, inflicting significant pain and disruption in those lives.

It would be like a busload of tourists taking pictures of the ruins of Rotterdam after being bombarded by the Allies in WW2.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 PM

603 posts, read 877,142 times
I would be too scared to even drive in those areas but more power to you if you have the guts to go take pictures. Most of Detroit is like the wild west where you'll have to fend for yourself if trouble comes knocking at your door.

I must say, that with the fear there is some excitement. I'd be more willing if I were with somebody who knows the neighborhoods well.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Maybe not intentional, but the schadenfreude is a little thick in this post.

While making for eerie/fascinating pictures, there are generations of people who made their livelihoods in those cities, and changes in the world economy ultimately forced it's closure, inflicting significant pain and disruption in those lives.

It would be like a busload of tourists taking pictures of the ruins of Rotterdam after being bombarded by the Allies in WW2.
Detroit and the other rust belt cities decayed because of your own wrongdoing: not responding to changes in the world economy, corruption, lack of social welfare for the people getting fired, lack of an overall vision, etc. Rotterdam got bombed to pieced by a foreign nation. I would never take pictures of Detroit's ruins if it had been bombed by Canada or Russia.

But you are right, there is a certain irony in all the decay, crime and poverty in large parts of the US when at the same time the US sees itself as 'exceptional', 'the land of opportunity', 'the richest country in the world', 'the best', etc which makes it even more appealing to me to take pictures of its decay.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM

983 posts, read 994,457 times
I haven't seen Detroit since 1986 but if I were going on a "ruins tour" I'd be an SUV with dark-tinted windows, a pair of Glock 21s, about 500 rounds of ammo, and a trusted local who knows the escape routes if it gets too deep.

Let's roll!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I haven't seen Detroit since 1986 but if I were going on a "ruins tour" I'd be an SUV with dark-tinted windows, a pair of Glock 21s, about 500 rounds of ammo, and a trusted local who knows the escape routes if it gets too deep.

Let's roll!
Well, that's how our former mayors traveled, so...

Old 08-16-2014, 02:07 PM

638 posts, read 623,374 times
Quote:
Detroit and the other rust belt cities decayed because of your own wrongdoing: not responding to changes in the world economy, corruption, lack of social welfare for the people getting fired, lack of an overall vision, etc. Rotterdam got bombed to pieced by a foreign nation. I would never take pictures of Detroit's ruins if it had been bombed by Canada or Russia.

But you are right, there is a certain irony in all the decay, crime and poverty in large parts of the US when at the same time the US sees itself as 'exceptional', 'the land of opportunity', 'the richest country in the world', 'the best', etc which makes it even more appealing to me to take pictures of its decay.
So its "appealing" to you to see urban decay "because America sees itself as exceptional"? I think Britain, Sweden, and Canada feel they are exceptional, but you won't see Americans acting giddy over their failings: in fact, many Americans talk glowingly about these places. Just further proof of the ***** envy everyone has of the USA for some reason. I don't get it.

No wonder Americans are exceptional.

Netherlands might still look like that if it wasnt for the USA, seeing as they were powerless to defend themselves

Old 08-16-2014, 04:23 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,930,569 times
Quote:

Ah, so your expensive little trip is all about rubbing Americans' faces in their problems and exposing the country's warts by focusing on the "rust belt cities" - which are not even the entirety of America? Is that it? Well, first of all, the bravado you quote is coming from a certain rightist jingoist segment of society, not Americans at large. Secondly, if that is your aim, focusing on a small manufacturing portion of the totality is deceitful and suggests an agenda.
So you are perhaps hoping to compare the US with the Netherlands or Europe in order to illustrate your "superiority" by showing poverty and blight in America's manufacturing "ghettoes" - which also happen to be in a process of readjustment as we speak? You hope that people will now see the US as something of a failure? Just asking.
If that is your aim, I think people will see through that - sorry to disappoint.
Please state the main purpose of your visit and what you hope to accomplish.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-16-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit